Dragon

Hi all,

I was asked to model a dragon some time ago but struggled with what it should look like. The picture is becoming clearer now the more I research this imaginary animal.

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/7653/dragonweb13jh7.jpg

pretty good for a low poly model, itll be interesting to see it textured

I like it,

The nice thing about Dragons is they are very open to interpretation. I still need to finish mine from about a year ago =(

That is one of the best starts for a dragon I’ve seen on BlenderArtists. Awesome.

I prefer the look of dragons with the wing incorporated into the foreleg (similar to this picture of a pterosaur: http://www.dinosaurisle.com/images/LuisReyiowpterosaur.jpg)

The whole extra limb thing makes it very difficult to add musculature and bones which look like they would work.

I abandoned my dragon as I tried to model with 4 legs + wings and it just didn’t look right (the fact that It was crap was also a part of the reason…).

Double fudje on this one. It’s definitely one of the best starts I’ve seen so far. Is this supposed to be low-poly or high-poly afterwards?

NICE i like it

I prefer the look of dragons with the wing incorporated into the foreleg (similar to this picture of a pterosaur: http://www.dinosaurisle.com/images/L…wpterosaur.jpg)
I hear you. I’m working under specific direction here. Maybe with this one is finished I will P the front legs;)

Is this supposed to be low-poly or high-poly afterwards?
I will work this into a high poly mesh, extract a normal map, and rebuild a low poly mesh if everything goes according to plan.

And thank you all for your comments!

working on the front legs

It’s a good start for a low poly Dragon, hope to see more of the typical Dragon features appear eventually like the horns.

It would be cool to rig it, and use it as a game model.

Pretty ambitiuos project for low poly. I think it’s rather neat! Keept us updated!

What exactly you want to use it for? Since normal mapping a low poly is used only really in games ( since cut scenes or movies work with the high poly directly )

small update. not happy with the neck and head yet…

Note on musculature, I suggest you copy a birds musculature for the back and wings, thereby bringing the wing muscles hingher up and on the back more. Follow the musculature of a large lizard for the lower body and then see if you can combine the two.
As it stands, while the sculpting is very good, the muscles are unrealistic and would conflict with each other in real life. Also a drago would have far far bigger wings. To handle the large muscle bulk.

Note on musculature, I suggest you copy a birds musculature for the back and wings, thereby bringing the wing muscles hingher up and on the back more. Follow the musculature of a large lizard for the lower body and then see if you can combine the two.
Thanks for the tip. I’m going with bird muscles for wings and more of a feline muscles for the body. Like the dragons you see on a coat of arms. Maybe when I finish this one I will try some other dragon types.

Definitely looking much better now. Well done.

I’m sorry to say this but currently it looks like a deformed clump of clay. Sculpting is dangerous in that it tends to look like clay if not done well. Some muscles make sense ( although their shape is off ) but others look like tacked on serving no purpose. A muscle can only retract or letting go ( in which case a counter-muscles is required to pull it straight again, hence benders and stretchers come in pairs ). Something went also wrong with the wing fingers. Looks like they are swollen not like their are joints in them. Narrow the joints down since they are a ball-socket type joints and especially reduce the bulkiness. This all is not only more realistic it helps especially a lot during animation.

it looks like a deformed clump of clay

That’s pretty much the look that I was going for so I am successful again! It’s Desmond the deformed clump dragon!
I’ll keep working.

If this is one goes for then it’s okay.

No, thats not what I was going for:eyebrowlift2:. Thanks fro the crit though, it helps me to go back and change things.

I’m just going to update the first post with progress to keep the thread lighter. I’m a noob sculptor so go easy on me.