dragonfly

hey this is my first real project. it is a one seater recreational plane based loosely on the a10- thunderbolt / warthog

http://img192.echo.cx/img192/3931/bomber22ql.jpg

That front most rib going across the width of the canopy looks like it would be annoying for the pilot, IMO.

nice work, look forward to seeing it textured and lit.

The outer flaps/alerons don’t connect properly to the wing.

Just for convience, I looked up a real one on google:

http://www.analisidifesa.it/image3/a10.jpg

It seems your engines are too close to the font, they shouldn’t be above the wings. And as Soter said, the canopy is different. The number of flaps/alerons also seems different…

He said loosely based on the A10, not an exact replica. :slight_smile:

as the avenger said, it is loosley based on the a10 (pretty much the only similaities are the engines and the tail), but thanks for the critiques anyway.
here is my latest render

http://img231.echo.cx/img231/2992/bombergrey4pv.th.jpg

as the avenger said, it is loosley based on the a10 (pretty much the only similaities are the engines and the tail)

Whoops, sorry. Missed that :slight_smile:

here is my latest render

There’s some wrinkling below and behind the canopy and on the tail. I assume that is not your intention?

Yo Dezelator -

Just a reminder - anything will fly if you push it hard enough, even a rock… so even if you put both the engines out on just the right wing and shove hard enough, it won’t much matter if you can overcome the drag that is putting a moment on the rest of the thing. :smiley: (vectored thrust helps)

To follow up with halfgaar’s statement about the wrinkling… someone recently was kind enough to point out to me, one Squirrel Ha by name, that my use of triangles in my meshes was a “BAD THING” and that I “SHOULD NEVER DO IT AGAIN, EVER”, and lastly I was told that “ONLY TRUE MOUTH-BREATHERS WITH NON-BRANCHING FAMILY TREES CONTINUE TO DO THIS AFTER BEING WARNED”. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Whaddya know? Squirrel was right!

Anyway, my using tris in my frog-snake-lizard-thing model was causing all sorts of cruddy pinching and folds in my model that took painful contortions to fix, and all my fixes were still pretty sloppy. Do you have triangles in your meshes in these areas?

But, if you said “Hey, I was going for that ‘organic stretched skin look’” then it is exactly right. :smiley: Come to think of it, you could play on that… an organic plane… hmmmm? Might be interesting. I’m not joking. Really.

Where are the guns? Need lots and lots of really nasty big honkin’ guns… Excessive force is always kind of fun. :stuck_out_tongue:

C.

Just a reminder - anything will fly if you push it hard enough, even a rock…

Hmm, I doubt that. A rock doesn’t create lift…

To follow up with halfgaar’s statement about the wrinkling… someone recently was kind enough to point out to me, one Squirrel Ha by name, that my use of triangles in my meshes was a “BAD THING” and that I “SHOULD NEVER DO IT AGAIN, EVER”, and lastly I was told that “ONLY TRUE MOUTH-BREATHERS WITH NON-BRANCHING FAMILY TREES CONTINUE TO DO THIS AFTER BEING WARNED”. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Whaddya know? Squirrel was right!

That was going to be my next statement ;). When using subdiv, triangles can cause bad things, as critter so eloquently put it. They will also make texture mapping a pain.

Hmm, I doubt that. A rock doesn’t create lift…

You’re right, but we’re using the term “flying” rather loosely here. Just like loosely basing the model on the A10. :smiley:

If you really want to travel horizontally, you’d use vectored thrust. If you don’t have wings for lift you have to devote some of your thrust normally used for forward motion just to staying up. Horribly, insanely wasteful, and far easier to just put wings on the silly thing.

“A BAD THING” can (more or less) be attributed properly to Squirrel Ha - in spirit if not verbatim.

C.

Falling with style?

Falling with style?[/quote]
Yay! Toy Story! :smiley:

You’re… mocking me, aren’t you…? :smiley:

Ok, sorry to have hijacked this thread. Any new updates on this bird?

C.

haven’t used blender in a while, but i decided to start up again
here my latest update on this

Attachments

Yay!!1 A recreational aeroplane with gunz!!! Um… Is marketing this craft very smart?

Okay. Now that thats out of my system: The tail as I see it has no purpose except to look cool. which is ok if you never inttend to fly this thing. Thge resemblance to the TIE-Advance (Darth Vader’s fighter) is quite striking. As I recall, however, it has a nasty tendancy to catch cross winds. I would, if I were you, flatten the outer tail pieces and connect them somhow to the main body.

It’s looking really good.

-aML

Yeah, I’m pretty sure the FAA would ground this thing pretty quick! :smiley:

Looks great! :smiley:

despite the guns the tail could actually be used to your advantage if you wanted this thing to fly…why?

well if the tails could move independently they could act as a vector thrust, and all the engines have to do is push hard enough, not to hard as your design is not a brick like some others out there, and move the tail fins abit and the air passing from engine over the tail could help in manuvering…

nobody would have thought the x-29 would fly and guess what, 4 supercomputers later, it flies and with amazing nimbleness at that…

anything can and will fly if you try hard enough…

but your guns, lets tell the FAA they are water shooters, so they dont get mad lol