Draping simulation

Hi all!
My wife has a dot fashion studio and I intend to help her developing an as affordable as possible integrated garment system consisting of :

• 3D BODY SCANNER BASED ON A CLOSED-RANGE PHOTOGRAMMETRY technique. I already attained to some very hopeful results using a mannequin, the relatively affordable Photomodeler software, a tights with many dots, a series of coded targets placed around the scene and on the interesting anthropometric points of the body and some very cheap Chinese photo cameras. The model generated by the above app. allows to take accurate measurements of the anthropometric points (a 2 MP photo camera guarantees 1.5 mm accuracy). The app. exports 3D models in many formats (DXF 3D, 3DS, OBJ, VRML 1&2, IGES, OpenNURBS/Rhino, STL, RAW).
  • AUTOMATED 2D PATTERNS GENERATION MODULES running inside an AutoCAD
    cheap clone based on the above measurements and the best rules of the perfect fit (our own rules and the suitable rules we can find in the literature). Defining the patterns design like an optimizing problem, I’ve got excellent results, up to now, for skirts and corsets. The patterns generation add-on modules work completely automated, so that the CAD graphic host medium is used only for plotting and eventually nesting & cutting (using an add-on nesting module and a laser cutter driver).
    It is a lot of work to find out the best rules of the perfect fit and to determine the suitable relations which define the geometry of the no trying-on garment 2D patterns. In order to shorten this period I should use a draping engine. I simply tested the shrinkwrap modifier but the meshes representing the 2D patterns are not properly draped onto the surface of the 3D model.
    To be more specific, I want to take two or more 2D pieces, to stitch together in 3D and to drape them onto a 3D model. Do you think it is possible to develop a clothes draping simulation in Blender ? If true, could someone guide me to do the simulation of a skirt ?

Thank you for reply.
Best regrads,
mdiaconu

It sounds like Blender’s cloth simulator could work for you (the draping test, that is) … but the hard part will be ‘stitching’ multiple 2D meshes together without distorting their shape, resulting in an inaccurate representation of the final garment.

I can’t think of an easy way to tackle that issue, but I’ll let you know if something comes up.