Drawing huge lands

I’m drawing a large landscape and here are my problems:

I know that selecting part of a mesh and pressing Pkey will make a new mesh but how is the reverse done: Selecting 2 meshes and making it one. I sometimes forget to stay in edit mode and thus the newly created plane is not part of the current landscape ( I can’t select vertices from the new plane and the existing one in order to use Fkey to create a new edge/face or shift Fkey to fill an empty area).

The other problem is with lights. I keep using a spot light for each square because this light makes really nice shadows. Is there a way to stop the light from losing power with distance? (Just like with a sun) I’m assuming that the sun is an ambient light which does not lose power over distance.

Finally is Blender the correct tool to use for drawing huge lands (10+ monitor screens in width and height).

I’m a programmer who sadly does his own art. But I’m making a free game and it’s hard to find help when there is no money involved. :wink:

Visit my website to see my only 2 and freeware games.
www.heroesgames.net

In object mode select the 2 meshes and press ctrl-j. If its a real time 3d opengl or directX type game the game engine does the lighting. If you are doing something ala starcraft (3/4 isometric) put your camera into “ortho” mode and render 1 or part of a screen at a time and stitch them together in a graphics program. The distance value in the lamps sets the falloff. There is a trick that people some times use of dupliverting (arraying) a whole bunch of spots to a mesh to achieve very even lighting with spot shadows. Or use a sun (no shadows on) and spots (only shadows).

GreyBeard

Sun Power

About 1 KW / Sq-Meter at the Equator
About 400 W / Sq - Meter up North at latitude 45 - Canada - US Border

So The sun does loose Power with distance - It is a point source of light. Except its a big one

Function of 1 / Distance^2 ( Exponential 2 )

But of course not because of the greater distance, but because of the changed angle. The longer way through the atmosphere is just aggravating that.

Are you into solar energy RJ2005?
I took 2 classes in heat transfer :o

Right now I prefer to stitch alot of squares to make a huge map instead of working with .x files.

Latitude

Ok to be fair your right - Du to the inclinaison of the Earth axes and depending where it is around the sun ( or the season it can also change this value )

It can even affect a lot more the Watage per Sqare / MEter

i was just giving an example
and this could go Far / but we are not here to give a Master degrees
in Heat and sources of heat or light

And no you don’t necessarely need to be in solar enegy to know that

it was just met to say that one the phrase at the end of the second paragraph said that the sun did not change intensity function of the distance - which is obviously not true

The sun is a point source of light

Salutations

Obviously not for practical lighting purposes :). In the contrary, for reasonable distances of some kilometers the light intensity does not change, and - even more important - light rays are nearly parallel on earth (which can be easily noticed if you use a burning glass).