Drawing lines and arcs, then extruding...

Hi.
First of all, apologies for this incredibly noob question.

I’m trying to model a C shaped peice of steel. It is a rectangular channel with a wall thickness and beveled edges but I cannot work out the easiest way to do it.
I have migrated from SketchUp which is very intuitive but obviously quite limited in comparison to Blender. (But doing this in SketchUp is easy.)
There doesnt seem to be a way of ‘drawing’ lines and arcs to create shapes and then extruding (At least it doesnt say there is in my ‘Dummies Guide To Blender’ book.)
I’m sure I’m coming at this from completely the wrong angle/philosophy. I have done a search on various forums but am still really unsure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Matt.

well in all blender beginning guides u will not find how to make lines and arc’s
since its a 3d application , u got to know the base first
then all of thous things will be easy for you

i didn’t understand what shape u are willing to get
can you post you sketch up file , or some images of the desired results
and we will help you

have you read the Noob to Pro book?

please dont give up so fast on blender , just give it a good test first
(read the book :slight_smile: ) and u will be amazed who many things u can achieve in no time

happy blending :slight_smile:

Just type the letter C then extrude the font object.

Hi.
Thanks for the quick replys.
An image of the C shape steel in SketchUp is here:-
http://rapidshare.com/files/279538624/CHANNEL.jpg.html
I havent given up on Blender - I think it’s excellent (I cant believe its free!)
Its just that I am used to the SketchUp way of doing things. I am going through my ‘Dummies guide to Blender’ and it seems from reading it that you have to bring in standard meshes (cubes, cylinders, etc.) and alter them to get what you want which I cannot get my head around. Also, the book has a serious bent towards character creation/animation which is great its just that I need Blender for products for use in the construction industry etc. (brackets, angles, cleats, bolts, etc.)
I will give the Noob to Pro book a go but if you can give me any general or specific advice on creating this C It would help me a lot.
hanks very much, Matt.

Hi,

Have attached a .blend with two approaches to the problem. One modelled
by hand mirrored in 2 axis then subsurfed. The other taking one outline
converting to curve, apply extrude and bevel for curve object.

For Bolts etc look at this Python script:

For precision modelling tutorials follow this set:
http://www.rab3d.com/tutorial.html#blender

Hope this helps?

Kindest Regards,

Pixeltwister

Attachments

C form Steel 001.blend (154 KB)

Hi,

Any update on your progress?

Rgds,

P.

Hi P.
My apologies, I thought I had replied yesterday but it didnt save my message (my fault, I remember it timing out but I thought it had saved my reply before doing so, seems not.)
Thank you very much for the downloads and links. I have downloaded the precision modelling pdf and will give it a good read. Your .blend file is very useful - I prefer the ‘C’ with the more curvey edges - not sure which method you used for it though. Could you give me a quick rundown of how you did it? Currently, I have a model which is accurate but thats because I exported from SketchUp (.3ds) although I would have preffered to model it in Blender (cos it feels like cheating plus I think it would have looked better being Blender native.) Am furiously trying to learn about materials (I need a shiny stainless steel look to my channel and T bolt) and lighting.
Cheers, Matt.

Hi,

Sorry taking so long. Very busy at the mo. Will provide a rundown tonight.
Did you prefer the one on the left or right when rendered?

Rgds,

P.

Hi P.
Its the one on the left - seems to have smoother bevels than the other although both are good.
Also, can you tell me how to increase the resolution of a rendered image or animation?
If I increase the size X and size Y in Format it just moves the camera closer to the model.
Cheers, Matt.
PS. I’m a cheeky git I know, but do you have any settings for a stainless steel material?

Hi,

The one on the left started life as a 16 vert circle, deleted 3/4’s of it
copied it to opposite corner and began connecting vertices with
the F key and extruding verts using E. Once outline is complete
I extrude down to give depth (See attached image).

Then CTRL-N recalculate normals outside and then use Mesh/Solidify
Selection. Play with the settings to get the correct width of stock.

Mirror in X and Z with clipping to end up with the actual model.

Then add loads of loop cuts to reduce the effect in certain areas of
the Subsurf Modifier which should be added after Mirror.

For more information on Subsurf the following is a very good read:
http://www.lightwiki.com/Fundamentals_of_Subpatch_Modeling_Part_Two
It is for Lightwave but it holds true for Blender.

As for rendering do not know why you are having that prob? can you
post a .blend so I can take alook?

For materials checkout here:
http://matrep.parastudios.de/index.php?action=category&category=2-metal

Hope this helps?

Rgds,

P.

Attachments

P, your a great help, thanks.
Link to my .blend is attached (its too big to upload here.)
If I increase the X and Y sizes, it seems to render my image (or animation) with the camera either close up or further away.
I want to increase the resolution if poss.
Cheers, Matt.
Ps. I would be very interested in seeing any of your work.

http://rapidshare.com/files/281385559/3817FINAL_2.blend.html

Hi birdaldo,

I think you should use Render Window rather than an UV/Image Editor.

Also File/Save rendered image. Then look at it 100% in the GIMP.
Then if you still have a prob yell…

I do not do any work to show… Very bad I know…

Just like helping people in my favourite open source software.

Rgds,

P.

Hi P.
Thats done the trick, thanks.
This might not be your department, but apparently you can import sketchup files into Blender by saving the model as a .kmz (Google Earth) renaming to .zip then extracting and importing as a collada 4. When I do this I get, instead of geometry, loads of XYZ axis everywhere.
Look, thanks for all your help, Matt.

Hi M.

Do not use Sketchup but downloaded v.7 installed downloaded a model
exported and renamed zip. Imported to Blender using collada 1.4.0
v0.3.162.

And nothing. But I told it to Delete scenes in Blender so tried again this
time using the default New Scenes. Voila a model.

If this does not help post your KMZ and I can take a look? Also best to
list software versions etc.

Rgds,

P.

Hi P.
I’ve tried this, I think as you have said but cannot get it to work.
I tried importing with the ‘Only Import Main Scene’ on and off and with the ‘New Scenes’ and ‘Delete Scenes’ pressed.
I’m using Blender 248a, SketchUp 6. Do I have to download Collada? I must be honest, I dont know what it is. (I looked on the website but still cant work it out.)
A general question for you. If you had the money, would you buy Cinema 4D or would you stick with Blender? I was thinking of buying C4D and still might, i’ts just that Blender appears to be able to do everything it can and for nothing.
Cheers for your continuing help.
Matt.

Sorry, got another question that I cant find the answer to in my two Blender books.
How do you cut through one primitive or mesh with another? I.e., placing a cube in a sphere and intersecting them to create a cube with a sphere shaped cut out in it (but closed i.e. no missing faces etc.)
Cheers, Matt.
Ps. I’m seriously considering not wasting the money on C4D…

you could use booleans for that, but keep in mind that the result is usually very messy.

The best way to do such a thing would probably be to model it manually from the start, or then use booleans and then retopo

Hi,

If you can download v2.49b blender and Sketchup v.7.
Then I think will work?

Steer very clear of Blenders Booleans. IMHO

Booleans are brilliant in other applications because they support
N-Gons. Blender will have N-Gons soon and more besides due to
the BMesh project… Until then learn to model model model.

Please do not spend money when you don’t have to.

By the way your .blend that you posted had loads of double verts
and loads of triangles that can be reduced using Remove Doubles
at 0.0 and reduce the triangles using ALT-J. This will speed up
working with your animation and remove any future rendering issues.

Rgds,

P.

Hi P and Morio.
Thanks for the advice. I am now not going to get C4D as Blender appears to offer just as much functionality (although, I have yet to model anything in it yet.)
P, you have seen my .blend. I need to put a rectangular cut-out in the end of the T bolt (imagine puting a chisel to the end and hitting it to get a dent - thats what I need) but I cannot fathom how to model this. I thought I could go to edit mode and add a cube primitive, make it rectangular and ‘subtractively’ intersect it out of the end. If you see what I mean. Anyway, it doesnt seem to work. How do you add stuff to primitives?
Look, you are continuing to be a great help, if this is getting annoying, please say something and I will stop hassling you.
Cheers, Matt.
PS, am currently downloading 2.49b, will give the collada import thing another try.

Hi B.

Which end of the T-bolt?

Rgds,

P.