Dreams - Overcome your fear - Blender CGI Animated Short Film

Hey Michelle, thank you!

Hard to say in generel because i watched a lot of tutorials from different persons depending on what i needed at that moment but for this movie these two influenced the much:

→ This course is a little more advanced or that render layers are used a lot here, which can sometimes make things quite complex. But it’s an excellent course for environment design.

https://www.youtube.com/@SouthernShotty
→ Youtube Tutorials and Patreon

I would always just go by what you want to do most and look for specific tutorials to keep you motivated after finishing some base beginner tutorials.

1 Like

Thank you Tim! That link looks intriguing. Looking forward to watching it. My large scenes seem to crash Blender… But I did overload the project. Entire 2 story house fully furnished. Could not render at all. Not a quick nor an image output. Blender kept crashing until I removed all the furniture. LOL.

I am like you, I will either search Google for what I need or look for an add-on. Some of those have been really helpful in learning blender.

My thing is I don’t have a direction on what I want to do. I like doing a lot of this from creating characters, clothing, scenes and animating. I guess that is a good thing in a way as I do not get bored. I tend to get an idea in my head, then start creating it… piece by piece then assembling it into a scene.

However, on the downside… things go slower as I make things on a whim. Learning to do storyboards would help keep my projects more organized… I have about 8-10 ideas that I have started… made characters, got them clothed, made the scene(s)… Of course I have been purchasing what I needed for these… I started learning Blender to keep from going broke… LOL.

It’s been a year now, putting every spare min into the learning process… I am finally getting comfortable with the entire process of creation, exportation, importation and manipulation of things. I just need a direction, hopefully one that will allow for me to do this full time and not have to limit myself to after work and days off.

Good lord… I’m babbling. Coffee kicked in :rofl: Sorry. Thanks again for the link!!!

Easy way to do it - in the output settings uncheck ‘overwrite’ and tick ‘placeholders’

Set the output location to a shared folder that both machines can access, and then you can open up the blendfile and hit render on both, and they’ll render whatever the next frame that has yet to start rendering.

You can also use the crowdrender addon to make this a little bit more automated.

3 Likes

Oh that´s bad to hear :confused: If you want i can take a short look why it crashes. Are you having a really old pc/laptop?

But it’s cool that you’ve already started so many projects. Storyboards can also definetly help in the process. Speaking from my own experience, I would just try to concentrate on 1-2 projects first and complete them so that you also have a sense of achievement. If everything drags on forever, you often lose motivation. I think what exactly you want to do will also come naturally over time through the process you go through. Don’t try to do everything too perfectly right from the start so that you don’t get too bogged down in the little things :slight_smile:

Ah yes that´s a good idea but it would also lose efficiency, right? If one computer renders the image and the other still doesn’t find one and starts rendering, the second render would be in vain because it would then be discarded. :thinking:

No, that’s what the ‘placeholder’ does - it immediately writes a blank .png to the output location so that when the other machine checks it sees that the frame already exists and starts on the next one. When the first computer finishes rendering the frame, it replaces the blank frame with the rendered one.

2 Likes

That´s awesome! Definitely have to try it the next time. Thanks!

1 Like

no, both PC and laptop are fairly powerful. PC has i9, 128 gig ram, rtx3060, 2 ssd hd/s. Laptop, newer i7, 32 gig ram, rtx3070 mobile, and ssd HD.

“Speaking from my own experience, I would just try to concentrate on 1-2 projects first”, I get that however that is hard for me. I get an idea and need to start on it. Especially if at a point on the current project that I am stuck on. Walking away and coming back with fresh eyes helps sometimes.

Not really sure why I crash when I see what others are doing here. Maybe it’s the imported items from an add-on. I furnished the house with Blenderkit. I used Scatter 5 to make the grass (small plain, not even the entite scene. Made a bush or two… Once I removed all of the furniture, my PC rendered an image… I had to remove furniture, tree, bushes and grass on laptop.

I’m new, I am sure I am doing something wrong, not setting something properly, not finalizing something… who knows LOL. Thank you for offering to check it for me… Both PC and laptop files ave been stripped so I can render what I have and export into another program where I can add furniture and such. I animate in another program as I do not know how to animate in blender yet.

It’s not for anything I really need. It’s my grandmothers house where I grew up. Going from total memory and after all these years, I can still see it as it was yesterday. Still not getting some of the dimensions correct and pulled a front shot of the house from the internet to try to get the root pitch proper…

Damn… more psycho babble. Sorry. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Ah ok, yes then it´s probably not a RAM problem i guess. Sometimes you accidentally set some modifier too high for something like this. I’ve already had crashes with subdivision modifiers. For example I set 2 for the viewport and 6 for render and then it only crashed during the render. With Scatter 5 I had already crashes with the culling function. It helps to update the plugins and blender version if you haven’t already done so. If you render with cycles and have activated gpu compute, it is important to understand that only the size of the vram is important for rendering, because the scene is shifted from the ram to the vram before rendering anyway. So if your card has 8gb vram, the 128gb won’t help that much for rendering. Of course, it should be at least as big as the vram or a little more for the system consumption and applied modifiers etc., but then, as said, it is generally moved to the vram anyway. But if you only have one house with vegetation, that shouldn’t be a problem with your systems :thinking:

Hm, interesting)

Unfortunately my card is not the TI version but I do have 12gig vram on it. Not the one I wanted but one I could afford at the time. I purchased it during the price scalping that was going on for a while. I have made a post about this a while back… Tried all the solutions… mine was to remove a bunch of added items. Fully furnished 4 bedrooms, 2 full baths, living room, dining room, and kitchen… I think it was all the furniture and stuff I was adding from Blenderkit… Must have had too many polys. IDK.

Sorry, didn’t mean to take focus off your project. I was amazed at the render time… and that you have all that in a scene without crashing. I think I am going to start it again from scratch… it gets better each time I do… I am on version 4 atm LMAO.

Anyway… great job on the video… :+1:

1 Like

All good, and thanks! 12 gigs ram should be enough in most cases. I hope you will find the solution or can optimate it better :slight_smile: