Drive a value based on if a bone is selected

I want to drive a property value based on if I a bone is selected. I added data path of the bone’s select property data.bones["Bone"].select like seen in the image. However the issue I’m having is that the value only gets updated after toggling edit mode or pressing update dependencies. Is there a way to achieve what I’m trying to do without this issue?

Hey, You have a C/P on the ‘Armature’ and not the ‘Bone’ its self,- even if you did - not sure its going to update like you want. Its a known short coming of the Dependency Graph for 2.5 / 2.6 / 2.7,- 2.8 got a little better. If your going to be running the timeline you might be ok, but just ‘Select’ is not really a constantly updated property.

I understand, thanks for the feedback. I enabled the new dependency graph in 2.79 which is really nice but it doesn’t update the value at all even after manually updating the dependencies. I was trying to create a switchable parent rig for the foot, with multiple child of constraint on the foot bone. Based on which parent bone is selected, that bone gets to influence the child bone.