Dude, where's my console? [Solved... kind of]

Just to feel like a ‘noob’ once in a while, I have to ask a basic question…
I just moved to OS X, and when blender runs the console doesn’t seem to appear. Nice most of the time, except when you need it.

So can somebody tell me how I can enable or view the console on mac??

EDIT: Ok… by complete chance, I found it, I think. It seems that if you run the file

blender>contents>macOS>blender

the console appears as well. And multiple instances of blender can be run!:eek: News to me…

Or you can use spotlight and search for “Console” without the quotes (its also in applications in the utilities folder, but spotlights just as fast).

…but that’s not the blender console, is it?:confused:

It’s a feature on Macs. It makes it simpler to just have one window per application. Cleaner, ergonomically speaking. Like one button instead of two and a wheel.

I wrote an applescript to launch blender from the Terminal. You can download it here:
MacBlenderLauncherWithConsole.zip

Or you can copy and paste this code if you know how to save applescripts:

-- An applescript that opens Terminal and launches blender (giving you the benefit of a Console while blender is running).
-- Written by Simon Dorfman, July 31, 2009. www.SimonDorfman.com

-- When we run "blender.app/Contents/MacOS/blender", the top of the window appears above the menu bar.
-- To fix this, we open blender with the -p flag & the proper dimensions for your screen.

set menubarHeight to 22
set screenWidth to word 3 of (do shell script "defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver | grep -w Width") as number
set screenHeight to word 3 of (do shell script "defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver | grep -w Height") as number
--if you plan to use this on just one computer where the screen dimensions won't change, this script will run faster if you just hard code your screen resolution with something like these two lines:
--set screenWidth to 1440
--set screenHeight to 900

--stuff to get the path where the script is
tell application "Finder"
    activate
    try
        set this_folder to (the target of the front window) as alias
    end try
end tell
set the_path to POSIX path of this_folder
repeat until the_path ends with "/"
    set the_path to text 1 thru -2 of the_path
end repeat

tell application "Terminal"
    activate
    do script with command the_path & "blender.app/Contents/MacOS/blender -p 0 0 " & screenWidth & " " & screenHeight - (menubarHeight * 2)
    -- if you don't want to store this applescript in the same folder as blender, you could hard code the path to blender.app like this:
    -- do script with command "/Applications/blender-2.49a-OSX-10.5-py2.5-intel/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/blender -p 0 0 " & screenWidth & " " & screenHeight - (menubarHeight * 2)
end tell