Dumb questions from a n00bi3

Ok well I have just started using blender as a 3D animation software, however I have been having some problems. SO far I have read a few tutorials and basic guides that I have seen around the place, but to be honest there are still a lot of things I am having difficulty with. I was wondering if someone could help me out with these queries:

Is it possible to keep the camera orientated so that is it is always perpendicular to the x-y plane (as in the Z axis is always the upward direction of the camera)?

How do I move an object’s center point relative to the object itself (I have an object where the centre point somehow got repositioned at the origin and I want to move it back to the center of the object)?

Is there any way to rotate an object about its center point instead of the 3D pointer thingy without moving the 3D pointer TO the center point?

In one of the tutorials I saw online, when objects were selected, little axis appeared originating from the centre point of the object. I was wondering how to get this.

Yes of’course :slight_smile:

keep the camera orientated :
select Camera + select TrackedObject and CTRL+T (like Track)

move an object’s center point relative to the object itself :
in EditMode you GrabRotSize Data, not Pivot
in ObjectMode, in EditPannel (F9), Centre, CentreNew, CentreCursor

rotate an object about its center point instead of the 3D pointer :
Snap Cursor To Selection and Use 3DCursor (;key)

:slight_smile:

Cheers.

I am still not sure about the camera thing though… Whenever I go into free rotate the Camera still seems to move however. I want it so that the top of the camera is always in the direction of the z axis (going up) if you see what I mean…

Just have a look on F7 pannel :slight_smile:

Either you’re a genius or I’m a muppet!
Cheers for that!!!

[, key] lets you rotate around boundbox center if you are currently rotating around 3d pointer (which is [. key]).
http://www.blender.org/modules/documentation/htmlII/x2336.html find the section on Pivot points

select the object, and move[g] or scale[s] it, moving your mouse in one orthogonal direction, and middle-click to both draw that axis and lock your movement or scaling to along that axis. Not sure if there’s another way to see axes from your object

Cheers

To see an object’s axes, select the object, go to the Object Buttons (F7), and select Axis under the Draw Tab.