Dune 2 Harvester WIP (Update Jan. 4)

Hi, everyone

I’m working on a 3D version of the Spice Harvester from Dune 2. This is what it looks like in the game:
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/6623/harvester2da.gif

And this is what I have so far:
http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/2945/harvesterrender0019hw.jpg

This is pretty much the first model I plan to actually finish. It will probably make its way into a computer game. I’d like to see what everyone thinks about it, and also receive some constructive criticism.

Looking good so far. I think because this model is so simple in basic shape, it will be the “details” that really set it apart.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Dune 2! Whatever happened to that game? :]
P

Nice start. Are you making this for a game, an animation, or a still?

Dune 2 was one of the first games I bought when I purchased my first PC (the other was X-Wing). I have fond memories of that game.

Did anyone play Dune 2000 from several years ago? It was an updated version using a 3D engine instead of the more traditional 2D. I didn’t buy it at the time, but it looked promising.

Ah, good ole Dune 2. It’s available as a free download from Abandonia. Looking back, it’s amazing how much strategy it requires… Rushing will get you killed within the first 5 minutes, for instance, and you have to maintain a solid front line.

Anyway, I figure on doing a lot of bump mapping and whatnot for the harvester, instead of creating many vertices. Right now, the hull has just 186 polygons :stuck_out_tongue: My ambitious plan is to recreate all the units and buildings from the original Dune 2, and make a game out of that.

Dune 2000 had excellent mission design, but was not so big on strategy (in this one, you COULD rush and win). The 3-D one was called Emperor: Battle for Dune, and it ruled. You still have to rush, but the strategy was in choosing the right mix of units and special abilities. I have 'em all, by the way :slight_smile:

Love that game. You could do all the cool vehicles from the game.

The model looks sound.

Wow!

Two weeks ago i decided to make an ornithopther from Dune, but based on one from Dune 1 (with little modification based upon Herbert’s book). I’ve made some sketches, but nothing more…

Well, harvester looks good, keep it going, i can’t wait to see the final version. It’s nice, that pepople still remember such a great games like Dune or Dune 2.

There is a 3d version of Dune that exists made by westwood. Emperor, Battle for Dune :D. I played it for a while, not a bad game at all so look up soem screens if you need some inspiration. Nice work so far though

I have Emperor: Battle for Dune. I’m going for a more “realistic” look, just like the old Dune 2 had. Emperor’s units and buildings were very much stylized (the Atreides barracks looks like a hawk, for instance). That’s fine, but is different from the style of Dune 2 or Earth 2150.

Well, back to work :slight_smile: Gotta figure out how to create a realistic texture for this thing…

how did ya make the tires? those give it a lot of character and detail. like it alot. your off to a good start.

DUNE! WHOOO!

/me huggles dune

I love the books, and I eagerly await your finished product, maybe I’ll make a duen thing of my own to complement it. Perhaps a worm, or a fremen (been into character stuff lately) or maybe jsut some props like a water catcher or something, still, keep up the good work! :smiley:

Glad you all like it. I’ve been adding a bit more detail to the mesh, and slapped on a simple texture. Obviously, this needs a lot more work, but I was wondering, what is the best way to texture it? I’d like to add details that would make it look worn. I also need to create a bump map for it. Should I draw everything by hand, or is there a program/script that will help me out?
http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/1798/harvesterrender0020yy.jpg

@ralph: The wheels and treads I copied off my T-72 scale model. I drew a path around 4 of the wheels, then made a single tread follow the path. Then, I had to copy the tread by hand and change its offset. The only problem is that the treads are too detailed. They will have to be much simpler in the final version.

@JellyWerker: The finished product isn’t gonna be done in a while :slight_smile: I’m still new to 3D modelling, so this will take longer than it really should.

good idea and good work !

i think that could interest you

I’ve been working on the harvester off and on for the past month. In order to keep it low-poly, I had to scrap the treads and replace them with a single mesh. I plan on making an animated texture for them. The hull itself has been changed slightly, tetxtured, and bump-mapped. I can’t think of what else to do with it. The greebles tutorial was interesting, but I really want to make the model for a game, so it can’t have too many polygons. At the moment it has almost 700 polygons.
http://img447.imageshack.us/img447/7840/harvesterrender0030gy.jpg

Very nice considering the low poly count!