The model (axe) was exported as an .obj from Blender (svn). I then imported the .obj (axe) into Poser 7 (which I had bought thanks to cekuhen’s post a while back). In Poser 7 I fix the materials for the axe and position it to her (Victoria 4 that I had further modified by use of injections and material changes). All of that then gets exported as an .obj and imported Blender 2.49b (such that the mesh can be separated by material) and saved to a .blend. Then back to Blender (svn) where all objects from the fore mentioned .blend get appended to a new file. Next, I go through and bundle the materials (from the export, there are about 5 meshes using the same diffuse map for torso for example, I put them all to a single material to reduce the total number of materials). Some mesh is also deleted (such as eye surface). Once all that is ready, it all gets exported as a .obj again and imported into Octane. Once in Octane, every material (for this model, about 36 or more) needs to be setup or adjusted. To ease the pain, I set all the materials up as separate nodes and noodle them in (this allows me to save time if I update the mesh again). Finally, the renders are put out to GIMP where the final composition takes place.
Now, how this relates to the game art, a longer explanation is in order…
What is most likely (the leaning towards) outcome is going to be an isometric game (like Baldur’s Gate 2) with greater detail. This means the models will be rendered out to sprite sheets (I may or may not use the Poser models for the sprite sheets, most likely not). What is not crossed off the list yet though is possible using Ogre3D and doing something more along the lines of “Spiral Knights” approach to it (in which case only open models will be used). Even in not knowing, I know there will be need for some cinematic stills (like Assassins Creed), in which case for now can help me explore and ultimately set the tone and style. Understanding this early keeps me from making a “Legend of Zelda” style console for the GUI if the rest of the elements are more modern.
Now as a real world software team lead developer, I understand how massive this project is and it’s likelihood of failure. I’ve structured my progress to allow multiple “products”, so even if I fail in making the ultimate goal (which is likely, I completely understand this) I’ve made smaller goals I can be happy with.
- Get myself Blending again by having some purpose to draw
- Make quality model assets for Blendswap.
- Further refine (learn and improve) cross platform compiling and coding practices.
- Make an open RPG game library (this entails the dice and it’s rules as a shared library / dll, static or otherwise.) that others can incorporate into their games.
- Finish the game itself.
Prior to this I’ve spent the last 4 months working code, researching and experimenting with different open libraries to evaluate the pieces that will hopefully work the best. I was at a point however I want to refine the visual GUI elements (and also desperately needed a break from code, lots of OT at work too) so it was time to make some fantasy art (and relax).
I dunno, hopefully that helps clear the air on some things.