Dupliverts/extruding along path

I was wondering, is there anyway that you can create a cable by dupliverting a circle mesh instead of a nurbs circle? I want to make some nice cables and other structures doing this but I need them to be low poly so a NURBS circle won’t work.

Is there at least a way to extrude a MESH along a path. (NO NOT NURBS)?

Yup. Create a bezier curve. Create another bezier curve or circle in this case. Select your first curve and write the name of the second curve to Editing\Curve and Surface\BevOb.

This could be also done using dupliframes. There’s a video tutorial describing that method. Link: http://www.ibiblio.org/bvidtute/

<edit> added link to video tuts </edit>

<edit2> You can make the bezier circle more low-poly by converting it to poly (Edit Mode\Editing\Curve Tools\Convert). </edit2>

Yep, just took a look at both methods. I didn’t know about the optimization. Not exactly the most accurate way to do it but it will do. I wish what we could do is just set how many sides we want to the tube or some such thing as another option. But it would be best to allow us to extrude and duplivert meshes. It’s just a crap-load more accurate. :slight_smile: That way I can set exactly how many itterations and sides I need.

Hmmm I’m having a little more trouble here guys.

I managed to get everything to work. What I need though is part of a circle. Not the entire circle. I notice that no matter what I do, midway through the path, the it keeps twisting the dupliverts around the path in the opposite direction, really messing up my mesh pretty bad. How do I fix this problem?

the it keeps twisting the dupliverts around the path in the opposite direction, really messing up my mesh pretty bad. How do I fix this problem?

When an object follows a path it uses “tracking” which is found in the anim settings panel. Tracking sets one local axis (eg. x) to point in the direction of the path and another local axis ( eg. z) to point up – up being the global z axis. If you set your path in such a manner so that the object’s axis you chose to follow the path points staight up the axis you chose to point up can’t and the object flips. The easiest way to see this visually is to have the camera track an object. The as you move the camera directly above the object you will see it flip. The solution is to align your path or set your tracking so this doesn’t happen. Note: you should always “ctrl-a” apply size and rotation to align you global and local axis before parenting or the tracking buttons will give wierd results. [edit] after you have parented to the path press Alt-o with the object selected to clear the origin and snap the object to the path. [end edit]

GreyBeard

Interesting, I now have everything working!! Thanks guys!

you can also use the screw method them parent it to a curve deform and have your cable