Durian Stereoscopic query

To eliminate all the extra rendering for true stereo, could you do a single camera render with z pass, then morph the render in compositor using the z-space for a quick stereo output?

Is this possible, hmm?

That would only work with completely flat objects parallel to the camera.

The point of using two different cameras is that objects look different from two different angles.

Hold you computer mouse close to your face, your left eye will see things on the left of the mouse that your right eye cannot see and vice versa.

What you are suggesting is a compositing trick. You can already do that with a lot of manual effort by rendering each item to their own layers and doing the paralax in the composit. The end result will look like flat bits of card with depth, because that is exactly what they will be.

yes I was suggesting a removal of the manual effort by accessing the z pass.

But the cards would get depth cues from the Z pass moving it away from flat geometry. most steroscopic comes out flatish anyway.

The point was to get a 3D version with out the render hit.

Thanks for your thoughts.

True stereo comes out flatish when a poor camera separation is selected. Like any cinematography, a bit of care, technical understanding and artistic license has to be used.

You may be onto something with auto cutting and depth sorting cards from z pass information, but the trouble is when you cut something out of a 2d image to bring it forward, you leave a hole in the image behind that limits how far left and right you can go.

I would be very reluctant to purely use some sort of script to sort stereo depth based on z depth on a 2d render, because stereo depth is the one thing you want to tweak for a variety of reasons.

BUT

There are VAST improvements that Durian could make for Blender for stereo rendering. Maya has had a stereo camera type as standard for ages. It is a right pain in Blender not being able to render from more than one camera in the same pass from the same scene, let alone the hassle of keeping two independent cameras separated by a precise amount, pointing in exactly the same direction with exactly the same settings and moving/animating in consistently tandem with each other.

I just remembered that Star wars is being re-released in Stereo. While there are some fx plates with comp-ed elements for look around, there are plently of shots that were all in-camera and therefore 2D. I wonder what solution ILM will have for that? I see lots of rotoscope in their future!

There are a lot of movies being converted that way. Sounds like it is about a 6 month process to do a full feature with a lot of geeks putting in a lot of hours in front of the computers.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-motion-captured/posts/cabin-delays-release-for-a-year-announces-3d-conversion