During rendering Blender will crash

The same problems keep coming up, so if you find an existing thread that you think “exactly replicates” the problem that you are seeing now (and does so in a still-relevant software environment), I actually prefer to see either a resurrection of, or an included hot-link to, the previous thread.

Reading through the thread, I’m not entirely sure why “run as Administrator” would be required for the install, such that “it worked but it didn’t.” However, in a Windows environment (as well as others…) I do routinely run installers that way. Obviously, I do not run programs that way, and I know that it makes no difference as to how many resources the programs may allocate. (Gods are not privileged in that regard.)

Bear in mind also that only a 64-bit capable OS can allocate a virtual-memory space larger than 4GB, since that’s the size of a 32-bit unsigned integer; or 2GB in some situations (a signed 32-bit integer). This can affect compiled programs, too.

If you find yourself allocating that much memory in a single render, there are probably things that you can do to reduce resource consumption considerably, but that’s another (existing) thread.

I’m not entirely sure why “run as Administrator” would be required for the install, such that “it worked but it didn’t.”

Hello sundialsvc4. I appreciate your comments, and you are probably right. However, my solution has quantifiable results since the registry errors no longer appeared under procmon, so for now I am sticking to my guns on this one (or at least until someone has the same problem and this doesn’t solve it).

If I had to guess, I would say that the (UAC) privileged account is either not creating the registry values, or they are not being read correctly for some reason. I have had similar issues with other software which wouldn’t run at all unless it was at a privileged account as permissions were required to write memory to files/the registry.

If I have time, I might run the installer again with and without Administrator privileges while capturing the output in procmon so I can compare it.

P.S. some more information on the “NAME NOT FOUND” error I was getting for those registry settings - http://forum.sysinternals.com/name-not-found-a-very-frequent-result_topic19467.html

My bad for viewing this thread on a iphone screen, no wonder couldn’t see the original date. :slight_smile:

I hadn’t actually realised this at the time of posting, and the symptoms flint401 was describing were nearly identical to my own.

Yeah the power of the search is one thing, always best to search first, but so easy to reply by accident.

Either way, I think that some pretty good debugging stuff came out of it

Good you are getting some where with your debugging. Useful in itself, although the Blender version and code base has changed significantly since 2008. As well as a different Windows version and multitude of security / performance fixes for that too. :slight_smile:

At the top of the post listing is a “Thread tools” drop-down. But come to think of it, the “SOLVED” option is only for the O.P., which because of the necromancy going on ;), you are not. So a mod will have to mark it, if that seems appropriate.

which because of the necromancy going on

Love it - love everything about it! My real hope is that my zombies will start infecting other posts so I can rule this forum with an iron fist (“anarchy - that I rule”)!

Here is the WIP by the way - http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaron-newton/5709708365/in/photostream/lightbox/

Still lots of work to do on this one, but I’m happy with where it’s going.

@yellow - no problem buddy. Off-topic I like your blog - just added it to my Reader. I have been considering Blender Video Sequence Editor as an alternative to Premier/After Effects for a while.

I wonder if that UAC nonsense has anything to do with it… is Windows “helpfully” squirreling-away copies of what it thinks is a “shared” file?

,jimmy choo handbags | Back to logs list 2711975 2008 年 12 月 13 日 12:20 Reading (loading. …) Comments (0) Category: Personal Diary tags are sick sick published cancel | Back to logs list