DWG/DXF-exporter PE - release (2.6x, 2.7x, 2.8x)

let say with AutoCAD
are there any good way to export form blender and upload in AutoCAD ?

and with file that are not too big ?

I know that obj tends to be very large for big scene in blender
so not that good from a practical point of view

is DXF a good way and do you know if it will look good in AutoCAD may be ?

thanks
happy bl

i use freecad and would STAY AWAY from dae format for big things
i have a SMALL 28 meg dae that takes over an HOUR to load into free cad

I did an obj with a small scene in blender
and use an external 3D viewer for obj and on a laptop it took like 5 minutes to upload a 60 MB files
but it did work

are there other better export format to work with may be ?

happy bl

I would say, yes, DXF is the most convenient way to transfer data from Blender to AutoCAD.
I don’t know, what you mean with “big scene in blender” - are there millions of objects with few vertices or few objects with millions of vertices? An example blend file would help.
Objects/entities in AutoCAD and in Blender are quite different, not always it is possible to transfer all information.
Though the DXF-exporter is quite capable. You can contact me via email for further support. Please use an uploader (e.g. wetransfer.com) for sending big files.

I remember doing a not so big scene in blender and doing an OBJ and it needed like 80 MB obj file
which took like 5 minutes to upload on a 3D viewer and laptop

but it did work in 3D viewer !

right now I got some peoples asking if some of the drawings I did could be exported to some CAD compatible file like DWG or other and did not find any export import script for blender

but there is this DXF script which seem to be working in 2D and 3D

now sorry but i’m under a confidential agreement and cannot show or give any information at the present time!
so cannot share any image of files

but let say I got a scene with about 500 Kverts and 300 objects
blender works fine on my little PC
I mean not sluggish for the time being LOL

anyone can dare a guess at what the size might be for export 3D with DXF ?

I could reduce the file to simpler portions of the whole scene
may in 3 parts to help reduce the size

what is the difference between IGES and DXF ?
I know some other peoples are working on some IGES things
not certain how it could be use on CAD
I know that IGES is very old standard but still possible in most CAD.

thanks guys
happy bl

Good evening, in my case, I am just trying to export a kinda simple object, lot of vertices, but only 9 objects, but when I try to export with projections (Front, Right, Left, ect), it has some “mistakes” in the output, I exported to DXF and opened on Draftsight2017 and BricsCad V15 (running natively on Xubuntu Linux 64bits), and each of the objects have a different rotation along in the Z axis, instead of having the same rotation to see the projection correctly…

I was very puzzle at first cause I only saw flat lines till I could see the DXF in front view… then I saw all the 9 objects each one had a different rotation…

One workaround I found, was to join all objects into 1 only object and that way it seems to work.

Still, I convert only to lines and still got like 10.000 objects on the generated DXF.

Another inconvinient is the addon doesn’t have the option of “hidden-lines removal” when generating projections and in my case is an object with organic shape, so it generates thousands of lines, is there any possible work-around in this case?

Thanks for your attention

These are known issues with standard exporter. Take a look at PE-version perhaps it can better handle these cases.

For more efficient export job take a look at PE-version.

IGES and DXF are almost identical, though DXF is much more popular across CAD platforms.

PE-version is updated for Blender 2.78c now

Nice to see this project making progress. Any chance to see CADtools working with Blender 2.78?

Unfortunately not. The problem is still the API.
I will definitively try to port CADtools to oncoming Blender 2.8 - it seems its API supports UI better.

PE-version is updated for Blender 2.79a now

-15500-

PE-version works well for Blender 2.79b
and there will be an update for Blender 2.80.beta soon too. WIP

-15702-

I am working on transition to Blender 2.80.beta:
At first I have finished the port of the standard version. You can get it from cad4arch.com/dxf_exporter
The PE-version will be ready soon too :slight_smile: