Dynamic paint eevee

Can’t see any paint on canvas in 2.80 eevee. Is this not working yet in beta release?

2 Likes

This is not yet implemented for Solid/Workbench. It works for LookDev/Rendered if you correctly configure the material with Attribute node and “Output” in your Canvas settings.

1 Like

Didn’t see any paint in any display mode. Never had to use nodes in previous Blender versions, for dynamic paint, so not sure what you mean for canvas settings.

1 Like

I am not sure if you have used Dynamic Paint before with Cycles, or you are referring to another Surface Type other than Paint mode.
Can you mention more details of what you want to achieve?

1 Like

Very simple. For now I was only trying to see how dynamic paint worked and looked using eevee and 2.80. Simply a mesh (canvas) and a sphere (paint). When I animate, there is no “drip” or any paint at all. I also tried setting paint effect to spread as well as drip. No result. Canvas stays white, paint sphere doesn’t produce and paint.

1 Like

Could you share that simple .blend file?

Edit:
I’m not sure how you’re doing that animation. In 2.8 it works for me with particles system or basic scene where I grab of brush on the canvas. But I can not make it work in 2.8 with Rigid Body (LookDev or Rendered). Here file for 2.79:
dynamic_paint_2.79.blend (357.1 KB)

I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong in 2.8, it’s a bug or just something not yet implemented.
Rigid Body related problem reported here:
https://developer.blender.org/T62863

1 Like

I did not bother to save the .blend file, because it was so simple. Just a camera, light, plane and UV sphere. But I think maybe it is not yet working in 2.80 eevee. Or maybe a bug that will be fixed.

1 Like

If the scene was simple, what about recreating it and sharing it to see if it’s worth reporting the problem?
As I said before, simple scenes with keyframe animation works for me in 2.8, with the limitations already mentioned above.

1 Like

Here is a new simple file. Not working. I tried baking too, but still didn’t work. MonkeyPaint.blend (984.0 KB)

1 Like

It’s what I already explained to you before. I recommend you look for tutorials on YouTube for Cycles. For 2.8 it would be the same, with the limitation that it is not yet possible to be previewed in Solid/Workbench mode.
MonkeyPaint_working.blend (1.1 MB)

2 Likes

That in my opinion ist the central Information. I come from 2.79 and also exspected to see any color when in solid mode and canvas set to vertex.
Thanks, YAFU

2 Likes

Thank you YAFU. That worked! But HOW did you find out that the attribute name had to be “dp_paintmap”? I have searched all the possible names for attributes in the attribute node, (fire, etc.) but I never saw “dp_paintmap”. Also, I know that names in the attribute node have to be spelled correctly (Upper or lower case, etc.) or they will not work. I would like to know where in any Blender documentation you found the name of the attribute “dp_paintmap”.

1 Like

It’s the way I’ve learned it from the beginning in Blender/Cycles, it’s what you should do if you want to see the result in Cycles render. Maybe I had learned it from YouTube tutorial, Blender manual or from the forum.
“dp_paintmap” is just the default name that gives Dynamic Paint for Vertex Color when you press the “+” button to enable it in “Paintmap Layer” field. You can modify the name from Object “Data” tab, “Vertex Colors”. Then you must select the new name from Dynamic Paint “Output” item, “Paintmap Layer”. Of course, now you must correctly write that new name in “Attribute” node so that you can visualize the result in Eevee or Cycles.

2 Likes

Well I thank you for the information, but I read the Blender manual again and it just never states CLEARLY anywhere that you find what names for attributes besides a list in the “Attribute node” section. But anyway, now it works. Thanks!

I do hope they fix this for the final 2.8 release. :+1: I ran into the same issue where dynamic paint seemed not to work in 2.8 because there is no proper preview. This thread saved me, so thanks!