Dynamic Remesh 2.5 -Quad-based remeshing/retopology

Understood. Not a problem Alberto. :slight_smile:

Hi may name is Carlos,
This tool is nice for fast retopology and gain speed for clean scan models. But need more controls for better retopology control. Like this INSTANT RETOPOLOGY, this tool is made by Alberto and look amazing for fast retopology, like a zremesh.

We need more controls for make the best and fast retopology and you make this before, you is a great developer this is easy for you. :slight_smile:
With this controls this tool will intro other level of fast retopology workflow.

1 Like

Same here.

decimate, Alt J, subdivide.

Was expecting something similar to zremesher ( or other ) with better edgeflow and less random poles.

1 Like

These step are pretty well known I think. Perhaps mention that in description since itā€™s a shortcut only and not a new quadrangulation algorithm.

My suggestion would be for a qudrangulation with better edgeflow similar to z remesher. The ultimate goal for this kind of thing is to have as close to a low poly quad version of the high poly with good edgeflow and less random poles which makes it better for subdividing and sculpting with the smooth brush if needed.

Having random poles causes bumps in your high poly mesh when sculpting. Clean topology makes for a smoother mesh.

1 Like

Can someone post some clear examples of zbrush and 3d coat retopology?

Zbrush remesher is not perfect, since it leaves some annoying ā€œinfiniteā€ loops, but is still clearly better than we have available for Blender right now.

1 Like

With guides, symmetry, and polygroup locking I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen any unintentional spiraling loops since the ZRemesher update a couple of years ago. People have a lot more control over the polyflow of ZRemesher than they may think.

Of course, getting a good, usable topology in zbrush is totally possible and not very hard; Iā€™m only comparing the pure automatic result of zremesher to the automatic result of DynRemesh, just because @kabu asked for an example.

1 Like

Update:
Weā€™ve hired someone to implement QuadriFlow. Theyā€™ve managed to make it work on Ubuntu(Linux) operating system, . Once we get it working on Windows, we will go ahead & include it in 2.0.

8 Likes

Thanks for the update! That sounds great :smiley:

1 Like

No problem! Much credit to the developer :pray:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s great news, @Albertofx. Iā€™ve just written a review of Blender auto-retopologizers for my blog and Blendernation that includes DynRemesh. Iā€™ll write a new review when DynRemesh 2.0 with Quadriflow has been released, if it will also be available for Blender macOS, because I donā€™t have Windows or Linux. :+1:

You might want to check out these two articles:

3D-Coat vs. ZBrush auto-retopology comparison

Blender 3D auto-retopology add-ons

I think the current version of ZRemesher is pretty good. The first ZRemesher implementation was plagued by spiralling edge loops, but the developers fixed that in a later version. But 3D-Coatā€™s Autopo also does a great job since the last few 3D-Coat versions.

1 Like

Made some improvements so you get a better remesh, testing symmetry methods & adding more options:

Iā€™ll let you guys know when I update DynRemesh
ezgif-2-2daa3eb00e1e

6 Likes

Well well, now thatā€™s interesting !

Guess Iā€™ll just leave a quick link to an opensource ā€œvery similar project of mineā€ on this thread for information!

@illumin a thought on this subject maybe ^^ ?

Yes, stop spammingā€¦

I personally think what you are doing is not cool. Itā€™s obvious how you are trying to redirect people to a free alternative ā€˜inspiredā€™ by a commercial add-on(DynRemesh). Someone is trying to earn money for a tool they put time putting together, all while supporting Blenders Dev Fund on Blender Market & for you to ā€œpick upā€ the trick behind the tool, include it in your free alternative & then posting it in theyā€™re threadā€¦ Shame on you.

2 Likes

I see it exacly the other way around. The addon BakeMyScan shows waaay more effort and its not only about remesh. Also dynremesh is such a simple coding (not really appropiate) that it is sold for 15 dollars), that ā€¦ofcourse people will come with similar things. It like you are saying: you are not allowed to make an addon includes the following algorithm: subdivide the object then bevel. (exaggerated/simplified said).

A good addon includes some algorithm was it not found in Blender. For example making use of IF ā€¦THEN, and using formulas with vectors/locations, etc. An addon that you can actually miss in Blender or donā€™t need to buy it are addons that do automations like: subdivide then triangulate, then smooth then etcā€¦

There are also good addons that automate like hardops (because itā€™s big) but the very best addons are those that do things that Blender doesnā€™t offer (like MESHmachine, BLAM, Bevel after boolean, etc).

When comparing the price of these addons, things are not in balance. I donā€™t want refund, but give the author the chance to develop further. Surprisingly this DynRemesh comes already with results I like I realize now after I tried nearly all remesh options around here.

2 Likes

Thanks for such an honest opinion.

Iā€™m surprised at such a reaction, but Iā€™ll take some time in the coming days to try to understand it better, and will probably try to contact you directly if you donā€™t mind discussing this topic?

I wonā€™t extend myself right now, but know that I also plan to support the Dev Fund, it just takes time to put everything togetherā€¦

My post was just marked as spam anyway, I hope this will allow the discussion to not become too heated!

I appreciate your concern, but I donā€™t want any assumptions being made, I already had another thread packed with debates, not sure what he posted, but I just want to say, I donā€™t mind that there is a free alternative, if anyone likes what my tool does, then itā€™s up to them if they want to support me for it. I will eventually add more than what the add-on already offers & Iā€™m sure @norgeotloic will work on his side of his projects all while respecting eachothers threads :ok_hand:

2 Likes