Dynamics baking questions

Hello everyone, here’s another doubt that I came up with, while practicing, doing this tutorial http://vimeo.com/32979765

I’ve just clicked “Bake All Dynamics” button in blender and it’s taking a really long time, is this normal? Do dynamics take this long to bake? Is there any way to try and make it a little faster?

And, lastly, my mouse cursor turned to a black box with a number on it, does that refer to the frame that is being baked or to the number of frames left to end the baking process? Does the number increase progressively or does it take jumps (I wonder because I’m quite impacient)?

I’m sure these questions seem kind of dumb but I’m just trying to gather some simple knowledge :wink:

And, lastly, my mouse cursor turned to a black box with a number on it, does that refer to the frame that is being baked or to the number of frames left to end the baking process?
You may notice it goes from 0 to 100. This is percentage completed of the whole bake.

Oh… OK, lol, i wasn’t shure because I was making 100 frames and I left it going for a while, so when I came back it must have been finishing (at 100).

I’m trying to go through the frames, in the frames bar but the program just keeps crashing, has it got anyhting to do with the baking going wrong or is it just that slow?

Yes, grass can be that slow. so can hair and large numbers of object or group based particles. Try lowering the particle Display percentage under the Display rollout of the particle system. By default it is set to 100, meaning 100% of the particles being rendered will be displayed displayed in the viewport as well. Lower it to 10. Then only 10% of the particles will be drawn in the viewport, you will see this reflected in the display. But when it comes to render time, this number is ignored and the full 100% of particles will be rendered.

You can also try lowering the overall particle count for the entire system.

What are the specs on your machine? Older machines do not handle large particle counts well.

I’m on a fairly good computer,
i7 3630QM
8 GB RAM DDR3
2GB Radeon dedicated
etc…

it’s a laptop but given the specs I don’t think that accounts for a lot.

BTW I don’t have a particle system anymore, I turned it into a whole soft body (both particle systems and the plane, in case you saw the video)… I can’t seem to get to another frame, it just crashes, it’s not taking a long time, it really just crashes…