Dynamic Remesh 2.5 -Quad-based remeshing/retopology

Thank you @Albertofx, just tested the new version and it’s working great!
Can’t wait to see your implementation of Quadriflow, that would be amazing.

Have you thought of adding a symmetry option? I’ve been using the AutoMirror addon for some sculpts right after DynRemesher, but it would be good to have it as part of your single click solution.

Thanks again :+1:

1 Like

I’m interested in this addon, but I’m curious how it compares to the free standalone Instant Meshes?

Instant Meshes generates a number of triangles to be able to maintain quad polygon loops that follow the surface flow. When you subdivide the result, the areas containing the triangles cause visible artifacts.

As far as I know, DynRemesh gives a fully quad-poly result, but it has singularities (star-shaped multi-edge junctions) in the current implementation, which also cause visible artifacts when subdivided, but generally less prominent than subdivided triangles, depending on how many edges converge into a singularity.

Hopefully @Albertofx will manage to implement Quadriflow into DynRemesh, including the sharp edges option. That’d be great. Quadriflow is an improved version of Instant Meshes.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the information. Quadriflow looks impressive.

How do you think DynRemesh handles a source that has non-uniform poor topology (a combination of tris and quads with varied density)?

DynRemesh can handle varying topology quite well. Have a look at these examples.

Just buyed this plugin, looking at all this feedback…

Seems like this plugin just a shortcut for making copy+adding decimate modifier+adding subdivision modifier+shrinkwraping result to original mesh… not worth the money in its current state, sorry //

Hint: put “smooth modifier” into chain (before shrinkwrap), result will be even more “nice” :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s not true. Decimation generates triangles, which subdivide terribly. DynRemesh generates an all-quad result that follows a model’s flow, but just has some areas that can be improved.

If you really want the cutting edge of quad retopology, buy 3D-Coat and use its Autopo tool, or if you’ve got enough cash to spare, buy ZBrush and use its ZRemesher tool. For only $15, DynRemesh offers an interesting solution for Blender.

Oh, forgot to mention that plugin perform built-in “tris to quads” operation before applying modifiers.

bpy.ops.mesh.tris_convert_to_quads(face_threshold=…, shape_threshold=…)

i mean, there is no “tech”, this plugin is just a shortcut for 3-4 manual steps. Of course, plugin still useful since now this steps are just a single button away. Just not for $15 useful (IMHO)

Posting this because i just spend $15 for nothing and feel disappointed, sorry for ranting

2 Likes

Then at least you’ve invested into future updates that might feature an implementation of the Quadriflow algorithm, if @Albertofx succeeds in doing so.

1 Like

Please, show us a comparison o results using your manual steps and the plugin when applied to a high poly scanned or sculpted object.

I am working on improving DynRemesh, so more options such as smoothing will be included. Thank you for the feedback!

I’d appreciate it if you removed the method picked up from my commercial product. I understand the tool uses existing operations built within blender. But tris to quads doesn’t give you the same results by itself. It took me some time to figure out a reliable & fast method for remeshing since the remesh modifier isn’t quad friendly

If you’d like a refund, let me know & I will go ahead and refund.

Well… I just tried the manual method and I have to say I don’t like what I’m seeing.
I had bad results before because I relied on the remesh modifier which is pretty bad generally, but using the tris to quads operator after decimate gives me pretty much the same result as your addon @Albertofx.
There are some minor differences, and your result looks a bit smoother, but it’s still almost the same.

I won’t ask for a refund or anything like that, I still very much appreciate having it all under one button, and of course I’d like to see what you can do with Quadriflow, so that possibility I think is worth the price.
But I also think you should have been a bit more transparent about what the addon was actually doing; because I was under the impression that you were using something different to achieve this results, not just Blender operators.

2 Likes

I think the addon is astute. It exploits clever Blender abilities to obtain an acceptable result, imho. I know shrinkwrap could do that, but I didn’t know exactly how, and, searching around for many tutorials here and there, nobody shown the trick. So kudos to @albertofx for discovering that. It doesn’t matter if it’s blenderian or c++ made; it does an acceptable job, albeit with some limits. Here’s an object made with Geodesic Dome Addon:quadTester.obj (74.4 KB)

The resulting DynRemesh object: https://blenderartists.org/uploads/default/original/4X/f/e/4/fe469a3b86ba25b3d0250cb8debec498df361845.png

The same object with a full miq quadrangulator: quadTester_miq_qdr.obj (167.2 KB)

So I think it’s more or less a matter of naming; it should probably be named something like “shrinkwrap remesher”…

EDIT: substituted the first dyremesh object for a more subdivided one (lv 4, dec 0.4) in the same range of the second object

1 Like

I`ll remove it immediately after you implement something more sophisticated, like mentioned Quadriflow. This would be great addon then. For now, this is relevant information regarding your plugin. Imho you should mention the nature of it in description.

No refund needed, lets take this as investment into future updates, as suggested

I don’t appreciate you going around exposing code from any commercial product, no matter the algorithm or steps. The fact that you are threatening me to never remove it until I implement a feature, seems a bit disrespectful in my opinion…

I don’t mind anyone knowing how it works. The work I put into developing this tool and figuring out the steps, for someone to come to my thread & tell me they’re going to take those steps & post them up for everyone to see until I improve it… just shows no respect towards the author.

1 Like

What? I don’t see any code being exposed, just an explanation of the steps you’re combining in a single process.

What’s the problem with that? You should have made that clear in the first place man…

2 Likes

What’s a full miq quadrangulator, @kabu? Is it an available auto-retopology algorithm? The quad structure of your test object looks very good.

QuadriFlow looks good enough: quadTester_qufl.obj (47.7 KB)

@Metin_Seven Miq it’s a method for quads:

Anyway the QuadriFlow paper shows a collection of up-to-date researches on the subject…

1 Like

Nice! The results look quite similar to 3D-Coat’s Autopo and ZBrush’s ZRemesher.

I like this addon with one click solution, what ever means it uses to make it work. One click!

What is missing for my purposes is the symmetry. Just using object origin and selectable axis (x,y,z) would give enough freedom to have this work good enough.

1 Like