Dystopian Future and Our Role In It

Idea: let’s have @fitz301 sit at the head of a world video review board to weed out all the deep fakes created. :laughing: :rofl: :laughing: RELAX, I kid I kid!

But seriously, folks and Fitzy, the two examples @3dcgfx posted aren’t exactly gonna fool everybody but it just goes to show at what stage the amatorial crowd is at. These videos are just two examples of what some YouTube geeks put together…and they look pretty good, you all have to admit. Where they both go wrong (as far as fooling the casual audience) is like any card trick: they last too long so the observer has the time to analyze what they’re seeing. Even the “Keanu Reeves” video, if it were only 3-to-5 seconds, probably would’ve fooled a much higher percentage of observers.

Second point: everybody following this thread already knows what to expect. You all already know the punchline. If you all (including Fitz) came in cold looking at 5 seconds of Keanu saving the day or “Chappie” shooting and falling over, I’d bet €10 a lot more of you analytic minds would’ve been totally fooled. No replays, no frame-by-frame. You see it once, you’re fooled.

Believe me, everything you see on a video screen as of the last, dare I say, 20 years has been retouched/altered in ways so insidious that only with some kind of spectrographic analysis would you even know. That genie is out of the bottle and never coming back. No one escapes. I should know: I work in post-production. One of our mottos: “If you can see my work, I did a bad job.”

And in closing, shame on you, Fitz! After being all super-analytical you go and quote Asimov as if the Three Laws actually exist or, if they even did, would be adhered to! :laughing: Good thing all those government drones have a copy of I, Robot taped to their bellies! :rofl:

Have a wonderful day, all! PEACE! :v:

2 Likes

Ok with you but learning or even being warned about dangerous (promotion to violence, aggressive behavior, or political abusive engagement etc) video content in visual materials, does not mean that people will consciously identify dangerous materials or intents… And even if this happens, knowing that a visual content is tendentious toward inciting wrong actions, does not necessarily motive the viewer to engage in protective state.

Short on trust! Yes! But not only regarding information, but also consumption, education, and in fact everything that comes from somebody else, even family members… Trust is a psychological state, and when too many doubts arise repetitively from exercising some actions like browsing, or listening or viewing digital content and if these doubts become real from personal convictions opposed to visual contradictions, then a state of defiance is building and we get instability in judgement and practical decision taking. Also going back to the origin of all of this, is that we are in a type of society where power is the norm. So it becomes a simple struggle for survival by believing what seems the most potential to provide survival in believing and following the wrong idea or concept (vaccination for example) Last, money is the key to produce fake content or concepts and if money decide to invest in such actions, then it means that there is a market, population, that is worth (politically or economically) to gain…

Yes that’s the main point for visual content on the internet… but a load of viewers and then from the volume viewed, statistically a number will adopt the context…

Yes, of course. I won’t disagree. I just think, video is just one of many ways to mislead people. Inciting well, ehm, less clever people to violence against innocents has been done successfully for ages. And the aspect that it was impossible to easily verify the truth of unsubstanciated assertions was also there.

Altogether, it certainly is advisable to take action to prevent people from getting tricked by fake video, but it is just a small part a larger problem.

Interesting topic. As this is not directly related to Blender I’ve moved it to a more general section.

2 Likes

I don’t think this particular technology is nearly as bad as the overtake of tyrannical, (either left or right wing) fascist panopticon state.

If you don’t want your videos tampered with, just sign them with your public key. It’s still compleltely uncrackable (before our sun dies) and a secure authentication method.

There is always a two-sided factor with every type of technology. It never is negative or positive, most of the times it offers many advantages and advances but the process of generating side effects is always unavoidable.

That’s why it needs to be free and open source. Some people will never trust anything, but free and open source tends to be quite well regarded.

You’re basing that on yourself and those around you. If you are smart, and you seem to be, then you are likely to surround yourself with other smart people and come from a smart family. But there are a LOT of stupid people, many, many, many stupid people.

The “key distinguishing capabilities of humans” is reflective of humanity as a whole, we stand on the shoulders of the giants in tech, science, exploration etc, but most people however are in fact the opposite of good at adjusting to new situations, change makes them react aggressively, hence the backlash currently underway against liberalism and tech “taking peoples’ jobs” (which is another deeply important topic that needs to be discussed).

You are, frankly, giving entirely too much credit to at least half the population of the planet :smiley:

1 Like

Haha, I actually like that being said about me. I’m more often called a pessimist then not :wink:

New robot makes housewives obsolete…

I don’t think this will make a difference. The vast majority of the population of the world has been fooled by propaganda by those that would control us for millennia. Even in this age of infinite knowledge and information at our fingertips, people chose to use that incredible power to look at cat videos or to vacuously ‘tweet’ about themselves and how ‘outraged’ they are at the latest non-issue to be outraged about. In short, it is unbelievably easy to fool people into believing anything. Just look at the WMD incident in recent times or the 3 Abrahamic middle eastern cults.

Just last week, CNN aired footage claiming it was Turkey invading Syria, but it turned out to be footage of a gun show in Kentucky in the U.S. that was still up on YouTube :laughing: :laughing: This is how inherently asleep a huge amount of people are. Too lazy, uncaring, and immersed in their narcissistic, material comfort to know or care what’s really going on, and has been for 1000s of years.

3 Likes

It was abc news that put up that video:

And regardless of there being a news network that airs fake footage, by doing some research people can figure out what is really happening. After all turkey really IS invading syria. To me the main issue is that most people are complacent. It is just easier to blindly trust something rather than thinking analytically or questioning whats presented to them.

Well, this is my point exactly, that I made very clear above. Sadly, most people are lethargic sheep when it comes to information spoon-fed to them by the MSM and just accept it without ever doing any investigation or research themselves. This also feeds into the fact that most people have very little interest or knowledge of history. Even a rudimentary understanding of U.S foreign policy history in the middle east, spanning to as recent as post-WW2, would people to understand WHY something like the ‘WMD scam’ was so ridiculous. Instead, the masses of sheep are duped with the usual pandering to their ‘patriotic’ and Hollywood-ised ‘good guys vs bad guys’ children’s narrative.

PS - sorry, thought it was CNN, but really every one of those political propaganda MSM ‘news’ outlets are as irrelevant as eachother concerning honest, fact-based journalism.

1 Like

This is a bit of on odd case, say having a young factory worker making an honest living, wanting a “better” future for his child thus directing it towards STEM professions. And this resulted into the over abundance of STEM professionals which resulted to over supply and drop in earnings.

Also medical and law are the top first professions that will take a huge blow due to AI automation and within the next 20 years.

boston dog mix XD