E.A.R: Evaluation of Acoustics using Ray-tracing

Hi all,

I just released a new version of E.A.R. Improvements include

• Faster processing. (Or more technically: Use FFT (Fast fourier transforms) for the convolution process)
  • Better crossover filter for splitting the audio files into different frequency ranges (Now uses a 4th order Linkwitz-Riley filter)
  • Updated to be made compatible with bmesh tessellated faces api in 2.63
  • More control over stereo rendering
  • So many bug fixes, thanks all for reporting them :slight_smile:

Get the new version from the github download page: https://github.com/aothms/ear/downloads
In order to get started there are examples on: http://www.explauralisation.org/

@bmud
Youā€™re right, the whole process (the panels, dialogs, etc. and indeed perhaps the name) needs a lot of polishing. Over time hopefully this will begin to happen, especially if more people provide a helping hand. Btw, you can install the add-on by clicking on [Install Addonā€¦] and selecting the archive file: EAR-0.1.8b-blender2.6.zip. I didnā€™t know that would work, but I just tried it and it did :). Thanks for trying an reporting back your findings.

Brilliant! very handy knowing that the zip file can be installed just like that. :smiley: Thanks.

Also great to see that itā€™s going to work with BMesh.

I must say that you are doing some fantastic work! :slight_smile: This is truly a game-changing addition to Blender, one I hope end up in trunk one day since we already have speaker objects and such. I really hope the project is still alive even though there hasnā€™t been much activity here in this thread.

How do your plans look for E.A.R in the future? Are you interested in taking this to the next step, perhaps getting attention from the foundation and a chance to write it into trunk?

Hi Gustav,

Thanks for your kind words. I truly enjoyed working on (and with) this project and I agree that Blender would be a good match for a tighter integration, but I havenā€™t received a lot of reactions like yours that would suggest there is an interest to merge this with Blender trunk. Iā€™d love to be proven wrong on this. Also, if you have any other suggestions for features or improvements let me know, here at github or youtube.

During the summer holidays the project has had a bit of a summer hibernation, but with the start of the new academic year there will probably be some activity again.

Best,
Thomas

I would like to try to bump this as potential for potential development into a new processing/rendering feature.

I see this as a valuable tool for a greater level of immersion into the realism of the final version of the movie. Features like adding phase shifting of the moving objects (doppler) and others like higher frequency diffraction or dampening (snow in the forest vs inside warehouse) , reflection, angle of refraction from using existing and new scene and object properties in a sound node editor.