e-cigs vs tobacco

ah this is my fourteenth day of being nicotine free… nicotine should be out of my organism by now… lesser cravings, don’t have that much of the impact… drank a beer last night and oddly I didn’t have a desire and thoughts about smoking… the biggest problem for me is when I am in a situation where I could smoke, like near a person that smokes… I have thoughts like: could you give me one cigarette? but somehow I endure…

keep it up bingoul, smoking e-cigs instead of tobacco is a step forward into quitting entirely… I also had help quitting… I was taking some tablets that contain “citizine”, a substance that gives you effects like nicotine, but does not cause addiction…

Remember that nicotine is a physiologically-addictive substance. How strongly it affects you depends on you. Prescription drugs do exist which can bind to those receptors and stop the cravings cold. If you need them, get them.

And, don’t be lured by “e-cigs,” which are being marketed in an effort to make nicotine “trendy” again a-n-d to flood now nicotine-free workplaces with invisible clouds of nicotine designed to get former-smokers smoking again. It may be some time before no-smoking laws are extended to recognize this new, deadly danger.

And, bottom line here, it is a “deadly danger.” Nicotine addiction completely decimated the lives of many people very close to me. I can’t go to the cemetery without seeing a cigarette pack in place of those tombstones. And it did not, shall we say, “kill them nicely.” I do not smoke. But nicotine devastated my life, too. It forced me to watch their lives be destroyed, and then for them all to gruesomely, awfully, slowly die. They drowned, really. They strangled. They suffocated.

I could ask you if you think out of the 4000 tested/known substances/chemicals present in cigarette tobacco, nicotine is the only addictive substance present. Please correct me if I am wrong in saying 4000.

I am Way past the age of trying to be cool… LoL.
Sure hipsters and wanna-be cool kids will faze in and faze out of trends and do stupid things…
And so whats new with that? :confused: Your solution is to ban nicotine ?

Then it should also include testing all air spaces in homes/work places /coffee shops/ corner stores, walking down the street…
all for potential harmful/addictive vapor substances and trace elements other than nicotine as well?

I am talking about harm reduction from smoking tobacco. Plain and simple. Another way to quit smoking (speaking for myself) Its not the greatest/perfect (non-prescription) aid,
but it works for me and many others. How about we let people decide and find what works for themselves .
And encourage folks to be as you say,free from smoking.

14 days tobacco free.
Longest stretch yet, cheers.

Friend sent me this LoL.

lol…

anyway this is my 19th day of being nicotine free… oh how I looong for a cigarette… today was tough, hope it will be easier tomorrow… I could get so many more useful things with the money I would spent on cigarettes… that’s what keeps me hanging oooon… :smiley:

I tried e-cigs a few times for a week when I was out of tobacco and unable to procure more. Personally I found them thoroughly unsatisfying. To me it felt like sucking air out of a syringe. There’s absolutely no flavor and it certainly did not lessen my craving for a real smoke in the slightest sense. Now that’s just my personal experience and I’m sure others differ.

@ xrg , Good for you for quitting cold turkey, I did that one time and lasted a week before cracking.

@ m_squared, hope things are getting better for you now. Hang on to that idea…

@atr1337, Totally know what your talking about…
but for myself e-cigs makes the transition alot more Tolerable .

I still have to remind myself every day why I am doing this.
My body is just starting to settle down from Tobacco withdraw.
Eg. My intestines feel like knotted rope, fart, fart, oooops, fart. :eek:
Headaches , fatigue , sleepy or cant sleep…

Marching on, 21 days Tobacco free.

Great job bingoul 21 days and counting for you. Good job. I’ve tried several times without success. There is mounting evidence that e-cigs can help one quit… http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/health-wellness/2014/05/21/evidence-builds-that-cigarettes-help-smokers-quit/ECir3qXpjo4ZowUr0UQ14J/story.html If you’ve done it cold turkey, that’s even better.

Glad to hear it. Personally I have little to no desire to quit smoking. The e-cig I tried was my brother’s, I guess he tried to switch over to them at one point, but didn’t care for it either and switched back to tobacco.

Edit: For the record I’m not trying to say e-cigs aren’t useful for smoking cessation or anything, I can certainly see where they would help. For me it seems what I like about smoking isn’t so much the nicotine as much as the feeling I get when smoking that isn’t present with an e-cig. I imagine I’ll probably quit some day and when that day comes e-cigs may very well come in handy.

I actually have two e-cigs right now that I haven’t cracked open. Apparently the brand of tobacco I get, I roll my own cigs, is trying to push e-cigs and has been giving away free ones with the purchase of a bag of tobacco.

P.S. I did try to quit a couple of times years ago and, obviously, that didn’t work out terribly well. At the time I tried the patch, but it didn’t lessen my cravings at all. I’ve come to the conclusion that the problem was that I didn’t want to quit. What I mean is that I was trying to quit because I thought that I should quit rather than actually having the desire to quit.

I’m with ya Bingoul.

I too quit Apr 13 this year. I only hesitantly thought about the e-cigs, 'cause as I knew them in the past (and others have alluded to), I found them like eating a rice cake while staring at bacon. I enjoyed smoking too much to use a poor substitute. It’s my 7th time trying now and I felt I needed something stronger.

I also think e-cigs would foster and support the habbit part of the problem instead of helping you move away from it.

Thanks @ John_L and every-one else for the well wishes…

@ atr1337, I never got the impression your being negative in regards to e-cigs,
so don’t worry about that.

Your correct in saying its not just the nicotine in tobacco smoke
that makes it hard quit smoking, I use nicotine in the “e-juice” but the other stuff is gone and I still
feel something is missing. In saying that… now the other elements 4000 or so are gone, my body and mind are starting to recognize what the problem was (making me feel crappy) especially in the morning
after smoking a lot.

If you or any-one desires to quit one day, I would recommend going to a e-cig forum and find out what type of e-cig would best suit you. Do some research ,For myself I purchased a EVOD by Kangertech its not the size of a flashlight and fits in my shirt pocket which is great. Be mindful to clean,care for, and learn abit about it before you begin.

Yes it does take time to finally make up ones mind to quit smoking, its not easy!
I wish every-one thinking about it the best of luck no matter what method/approach you take.
The wife is amazed that im not doing a freak-out like the last time I tried going cold turkey.
I and many others are happy ex-smokers, Vaping on or out.

All the best folks.

Thats pretty darn funny. LoL

The thing is at first it was like that but now its the opposite.
I have had a full pack of cigs on my desk this whole time and not one was taken.

Good luck ,

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

About 8 or 9 years ago I tried going cold turkey. I was working as a help-desk technician at the time and ended up being extremely rude to a client and didn’t even notice it until he called me out on it, generally I was very nice to people. I apologized to him and happened to mention that I had just started trying to quit smoking, as soon as I said that he became very understanding of my prior demeanor. After hanging up I proceeded out the door to grab a smoke thinking perhaps I just wasn’t in the right line of business to try quitting cold turkey.

I will say that although I’m not really trying to quit at this time, I have recently cut back quite a bit. Before last December I was smoking roughly the equivalent of two packs a day, now I’m rounding out at about 1/2 - 3/4 of a pack a day.

Interesting if you read carefully.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/29/who-suppress-control-e-cigarettes-uk-health-tobacco?commentpage=1

think about the panic/frenzy and the smell the sweat.

The panic, frenzy, sweat, all in one place. But when it’s empty, there is no smoke.

Attachments

Funny story, my girlfriend’s mother is the director of nursing (something like that) at some hospital. My girlfriend recently visited her mother for Christmas, while there she visited the hospital her mother worked at and met the “pulmonary therapist,” read lungs and crap. Heh, he’s a smoker. She said her mother was surprised to find out that most of the medical professionals at that hospital are smokers.

Everyone dies, the only question is how you check out right?

Anyway the fact that 50 scientists signed some letter asking the World Health Organization not to be too harsh on e-cigs is laughable to me. That’s like what, 0.00000000000000000000001% of scientists and medical professionals? According to the television every pain reliever is the number one doctor recommended and every brand of tooth paste is recommended by 9 out of 10 doctors or at least 9 out of 10 people wearing a white trench coat and stethoscope.

P.S. Who are these 50 scientists anyway? You know that the tobacco companies have scientists working for them right? How do you think they came up with the e-cig anyway? Don’t seriously think the CEO has any idea how they work do ya?

P.P.S. My girlfriend just said that cigarettes have rat poison in them to which I replied apple’s have arsenic in them. It’s true ya know, they do. Oh yeah, believe it or not toothpaste has anti-freeze, Ethelyne Glycol, in it. Highly toxic.

Hell here in the states they put fluoride in the water supply. According to Wikipedia:

“Soluble fluoride salts, of which sodium fluoride is the most common, are only mildly toxic, although they have resulted in both accidental and suicidal deaths from acute poisoning. The lethal dose for most adult humans is estimated at 5 to 10 g (which is equivalent to 32 to 64 mg/kg elemental fluoride/kg body weight). However, a case of a fatal poisoning of an adult with 4 grams of sodium fluoride is documented, while a dose of 120 g sodium fluoride has been survived. For Sodium fluorosilicate (Na2SiF6), the median lethal dose (LD50) orally in rats is 0.125 g/kg, corresponding to 12.5 g for a 100 kg adult.”

Edit: In other words maybe we’re just all different and scientists really don’t know what’s good for ya and what’s bad for ya. They only thing you can do is throw your arms up, say f**k it and die with a smile on your face.

We will all eventually die .

Nothing really matters…

Me thinks this thread has just about run its course

Bye.

If you intend to maintain a nicotine habit instead of just using e-sigs in an attempt to wean yourself off smoking cigarettes, you may be better off having a look at the wide range of vapourisers used by weed/ganja smokers to reduce the amount of tar inhaled by smoking. Using a good vapouriser and decent high-quality organic tabacco, you will be able to target the oils you desire by adjusting the temperature of the vapouriser and be able to enjoy your favourite tabacco without inhaling the same excessive amount of unwanted tar by-products produced by smoking. The e-sigs are not organic and may be laced with nasty contaminants and taste like shit. I found the fragrance produced by vapourising a good cigar quite pleasant and much superior, but found the nicotine rush a little disconcerting. That said, I would probably recommend THC and cannibol oils above nicotine and associated oils found in tabacco.
:smiley:

Speaking of THC I have a theory regarding marijuana’s tendency to ‘make’ people paranoid. Personally I don’t think it’s mary jane’s fault, I think that any paranoia experienced while high is actually just a bringing to the surface and/or exaggeration of fears that the person already has. The fact that marijuana is illegal only makes this worse because it gives people a reason to fear the government and therefore marijuana can seem as though it makes people paranoid when in reality the government is giving the people reason to fear them, the marijuana is only bringing this fear to the surface.

Of course this is hardly limited to the fear of governments, but you know, whatever a person might be consciously or subconciously afraid of. Based off of what people have described to me about other drugs I can only assume that the same rings true, possibly more intensly true, for other drugs as well.

In addition to that, specifically relating to the fear of government which could manifest itself in a variety of ways, the fact that the drug a person might be using might be illegal is hardly the only means by which a person might become paranoid of the government while on drugs. Take, for instance, someone that might be up on current events. If you live in Colorado perhaps, marijuana is legal there, but one could still have a fear of the government that can be brought to the surface because they’ve been reading to much about the NSA spying scandal or something of that nature.

Edit:
I remember a friend of my brother’s told me a brief story about a time when he tried acid. He was on his way out so he didn’t go into much detail, but said that while on acid his best friend turned into a “black devil” and this frightened him quite a bit.

I didn’t get the chance to explain my theory to him because it was such a brief conversation, but I believe that what was actually happening was his mind manifesting a deep fear of his friend that he already had. Explaining my theory to him may very well have been fruitless anyway, being the manly man he certainly tries to project himself as he wouldn’t have been willing to admit any fear I’m sure.

Nonetheless I think we all have, at least on some level, a deep fear of our peers, fear of judgment mainly. In this particular case I believe that fear could be greater than the fear he might have of people he doesn’t know as well simply because he likes this person so much he’s afraid of losing him as a friend, afraid of doing or saying something that might cause an end to their relationship. The acid manifested this fear as the image of satan, probably something he subconsciously associates with fear. He did mention to me at one point that he was raised as a baptist and so I can see where his mind might represent this fear with the image of something he associates so deeply with fear or terror.

This person was supposedly his best friend, little did he know that he was telling me that he was, in fact, terrified of this friend of his.

Yes, let’s turn this into a discussion about drugs…