E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

I dont know what more can i do solve this.
I reinstalled the graphics driver 436.15 but nothing changed. I choosed clean new install.
I also deleted/renamed the custom settings under:
C:\Users\xyz\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender

-Sometimes E_cycles_2.82a_v20200312_win shows “cancel” in the viewport sometimes nothing visible happends but blender needs to be restarted to work on.
-E_cycles_2.90_v20200421_win and E_cycles_2.90_v20200424_win are still just showing the washed out full white phenomenon.

If there is something more i can do, please let me know.

BTW: Standard rendering works flawless

1 Like

Now that I spend 2 days on it :slight_smile: And I’m happy to make my users happy. So I’ll continue this fight against Linux libs hell.
PS: If you can easily switch to Debian 10 or something else, I’m still ok :wink:

I would need an access to your computer to say what to do ideally. But I also had a hard time to get NVLink working last week so this may help:
Even clean install of the driver was not showing SLI in the control panel for me. The bios, etc. everything was ok. The internet is full of such reports, but rarely have a solution. The only thing that helped was to completly clean the driver in safe mode with DDU. I downloaded it, unpacked on desktop, pressed F8 on startup to start windows in safe mode, started DDU, selected “GPU”, “clean and reboot”, then rebooted in normal mode and installed the 436.15 driver in custom mode without geforce experience. Now everything works like a charm. Otherwise, NVidia has a chat too.

No problem. I’ve encounter this during my everyday routine work. Please try to make it work also in v2.83 builds, since 2.9 builds are more or less experimental :wink:

A render by JLE Studios with E-Cycles and with Photogrametry. Their work is really impressive:
https://twitter.com/DeevanHoven/status/1214638045590372353/photo/1

4 Likes

Ok, the denoise viewport feature is a nice to have one but not that important for my worklflow and it looks like its very experimental atm. At least on GTX.
I will check on a different workstation nxt week.

Does it work better with the RTX 2080ti?

1 Like

Actually, in the current state, appart from undo and simulation nodes, 2.90 is pretty much like 2.83. So I think it’s good to use 2.90 as it has all the 2.83 fixes too.

v 2.83 and 2.9 will be separate options from blender for a quite good time it’s good to keep them both covered :wink:

1 Like

I’m using it daily on the 2080Ti, so yes, as other users reported it works very well. Just to be sure, I just tested on a computer with a 1080Ti and the latest 445 driver and I can reproduce your issue! I’ll investigate further.

1 Like

The rule until now was to have stable builds based on latest stable Blender (2.82a) and weekly builds based on master (2.90 currently). I could make a week with 2.83 and a week with 2.90 if enough people ask for it? Just give this comment a like if you agree with this proposition.

2 Likes

Fair enough.

1 Like

This is the E-Cycles viewport on a 2080Ti:

edit: see this comment for a fix for the 1080Ti.

4 Likes

I just tried a bunch of driver version and NVidia made a new one 445.85 which is working again with the 1080Ti for me. Is it working for you too?

Edit: also in c:\users\youruser\appdata\local\nvidia\OptiXcache you can find all the cached kernels compiled by the drivers. If you clean it, it will force a recompilation of your denoising kernel and may help fix your issue. It also quickly becomes huge, so it’s good to delete it regularily anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I cant find this version

Can you provide a link?
edit: sry found it already

1 Like

was 445.87: for Windows 10 https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/159420/en-us
For Windows 7: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/159418/en-us

1 Like

YESSS! It works!! And its quiet fast :ok_hand:
Awesome!

As usual best support -Thanks!

2 Likes

I’m happy to hear that :slight_smile: I recommend to play with the new Clay and AO presets with viewport denoising :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m sorry I didn’t reply sooner, @dave62
But I’m glad to see you figure it out.

Yes, drivers can make a huge difference. I was keep updating but then I reverted back to 441.28 and everything worked just fine again.

1 Like

Yo! My initial quick tests of Clay and AO rendering was quite wonderful indeed! Though I need to play around with this next week when I am able to. But this has been badly needed and Mathieu was kind enough to squeeze these in with the other kickass goodies. I am so thrilled. I personally need Clay and AO for super-fast renders of motion tests and client-first-looks, and I highly recommend this to others as a practice in their workflow. It is a very efficient way to work when you do not need color fidelity at early stages of projects/gigs…

I truly hope to do a thorough throw-down between E-Cycles Clay/AO and Octane’s (which Mathieu has asked me to, a couple times now) as soon as humanly possible… Unfortunately, I have my back against the wall with a major deadline, and barely can find the time in a day to scratch my ass. So if any E-C guys also have Octane 4+, please try to do some comparison renders (classroom scene should be sufficient) if you can in the meantime. It does not need to be a thorough test with all kinds of screenshots and detailed analysis of times etc (I will try to do that asafp), but anything you can knock out real quick would be appreciated by both of us!

I did have some funkiness trying to remove denoiser and create anew on the classroom scene… got a couple hard freezes. I had to end it there, and I will be eager to get back to this and get it all working perfectly. But I was able to load a couple of my own scenes (that I can’t show) and get a couple sweet Clay renders, which made me giddy like a little school girl! Oh man, does this rock! Thanks again so much Mathieu!!! You.Are.The.Man!!! : - )

1 Like

I made a quick test with the new Clay/AO kernel of E-Cycles RTX 2.90 based on the BMW benchmark to see when it would start to be slow with a single GPU with fullscreen viewport. Here is the result (early stage):

You can get E-Cycles 2020 (including 2.82a, 2.83 and 2.90 builds) with 25% off tonight.
7 Likes