E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

does this annoying error solves by getting studio version? why does not many talks about this? :<

To be perfectly honest, Iā€™m not aware of that part at all.
Iā€™m assuming that the features that makes E-cycles good are directly linked to Mathieuā€™s hard work.

If i made a False assumption then i give my apologies to K-Cycles creators as what i said wouldnā€™t make sense. However If my assumption is correct then yes, the pricing is completely ridiculous and i still believe itā€™s hurting entrepreneurship.

6 Likes

So what is the difference between $1 E-Cycles 2021 Premium RTX and $299 E-Cycles RTX 2021 pls?

@Frostensen As I understand it, it has the 2x speedup only. Iā€™m assuming no lightgroups, no AI denoiser, etc.

2 Likes

So i just got the 1$ version and, like the documentation says, opened my file and hit render.

My render time went from 8:46 to 8:00.

Do i have to do anything else?

1 Like

If e-cycles 2x faster, render time will be 4:23 right? So where is 2 time faster rendering? I got a same results overall.

I am wondering the same thing.
Perhaps my scene is just a really bad example, though.

Unfortunately for NDA reasons I can not show it but it is a pretty standard scene with an imported CAD model of an industrial warehouse robot (looks like one of these lawn mowing robots). The robot is on a large floor and in the background there is a wall. It is lit by an hdri and a single spot light.
1024 samples, opitx on with a RTX 2080 and a RTX 2070. No bitmap textures only a bunch of procedural textures with principled shaders.

Any chance you can try with a different scene that you can share?
I donā€™t know about the $1 version but with the regular E-Cycles 2021 I get about twice the speed.

So far I only had one case where itā€™s been difficult for me to get fast renders, but it is indeed a particular case: Hard Surface animated piece - #10 by phoe-nix-art
Dark environment, mesh emitter, and glass. That said, it went down from 25min to 15/17min per frame, not exactly half but still a significant gain.
Mathieu tested the scene, and he had some tips on how to improve it a little further but, unfortunately, I didnā€™t have the time to move forward with the project.

3 Likes

Try selecting one of the ā€œQuick Presetsā€, there should be render presets like ā€œQuick Previewā€, ā€œVery Fastā€ etc. This is the main thing in E-Cycles as far as I know. After applying one of those you should totally get other render times.

1 Like

Thank you I didnā€™t know about the presets thing. I set it ot ā€œvery fastā€ now.

I put toghether a sharable scene.
In this scene there is no speed up at all. In fact e-Cycles renders 3 seconds slower than normal Blender. 6:55 vs 6:52.

I exchanged the NDA geometry with a free CAD file from GrabCAD. The materials are the same as the ones I use my real file.
The HDRI is not in the file but it uses the 4K version of this one from hdri haven:

Here is a render at 4K resolution:

Here is the blend file:

Holy crap, you deserve a prize for the most insane comparison ever made on internet. If it was written today Iā€™d say this must be an april fools joke.

First things first:
I donā€™t argue pricing in general, it is relative make your prices however you value your time. I bought ecycles before I bought a lot of plugins or models etc of varying quality. If Mathieu wants to sell this for a million I donā€™t careā€¦

But letā€™s make one thing clear, you legit just compared pricing and development of a full blown commercial render engine(OCTANE) developed for years to an OPTIMIZATION of an existing render engine(CYCLES). Letā€™s make this clear, e-cycles, k-cycles whatever cycles is still just a MOD of an existing engine.

Go ahead and make arguments about speed, or quality comparisons. But research and development of an rendering engine VS a modification of an existing render engine is few another dimensions and years apart each other.

4 Likes

Hi Lumpengnom,
thereā€™s a texture missing (paul_lobe_haus 4k.hdr). Would you mind to check for the missing one?

And: Which Hardware do you use?

The texture must be the hdri from hdrihaven linked in my last post.
Or perhaps it is a camara background image which i deleted and is not necessary.
Hardware:
RTX 2070 and RTX 2080
CPU:
Intel Core i7 6800K

@BD3D I agree with @chippwalters, @lacilaci86 and other guys. However, I have E-Cycles already costed version and Iā€™m happy with that. BUT all that guys are saying you that both aspects are deeply different than READY-CODE and IN-DEVELOPMENT-FROM-THE-SCRATCH. Thats it! By the way, Iā€™ve not knowledges about software licenses (related to Blender and cycles).

I will post you some differences with some scenes today I will have free timesšŸ˜‰

1 Like

I gave it a quick test. But smaller in size (only 960x540) and without the hdri, just to not take longer for all those things than 10 minutes or so. I just have 16gb Ram and a 1060 with 6GB and only tested the ā€œraw performanceā€.

The results are, and mind I have an older ECycles Build, 2.82:
Blender 2.92 stable default (nothing changed, only resolution): 03:45
Ecycles 2.82 default (nothing changed, only resolution): 02:45
Ecycles 2.82 changed (resolution and very fast preset): 01:50

The GI was a good bit darker in the ā€œvery fastā€ render but the overall quality still pretty decent.

Yes, E-Cycles is based on Blender and yes Blender is freely available code.

No Iā€™m not complaining about other using freely available code, Iā€™m complaining about it being a simple copy with some slightly changed values and being sold as own work.

I would be more than happy to have real competition. I find getting pseudo-competition through lies is on the other side at best a shame. If only Lukas or someone as skilled as him could challenge me in the open source field, that would be awesome :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s true. again, iā€™m not aware of how both are made until now i guess.
You will note that from a consumer perspective buying an external render engine or buying such product is the exact same. When i first discovered E-cycles i directly compared it with octane, and hesitate between buying one or the other, so yes, they can be compared, from a consumer perspective, so can their price right?

Iā€™m coming from a perspective of addon developer, so Iā€™m assuming that the features directly comes from Mathieu work. Again i donā€™t know about all this source code subject (and i probably shouldnā€™t comment on things that i donā€™t know at the first place so thatā€™s my fault i guess)

2 Likes

As acadgatsu said, it has the original 2x speed-up from 2019 only, plus some tweaks to make it work on OptiX too and the presets. The full version has the AI-Denoiser which allows to cut sample count by 4 to 10, viewport light groups for very fast light setup, persistent data for instant start of renders etc.

more can be seen on the youtube channel and product pages.

2 Likes

I understand the reasoning to a point.

If scene or type of scene is done equally fast in 2 engines I pick cheaper. (for the sake of argument letā€™s say quality, level of support etc is identical too.) This is ok.

But saying value of work on a product from ground up = value of tweak/modification on existing work is nonsense.

Again, everybody charge as much as you want and can get away with it.

OFF TOPIC:
The sole reason E-cycles or other mods exist is simply that blender devs didnā€™t gave a damn about cycles for a long time. This is all their fault and I wonder if it is about to change.

5 Likes