E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

Read earlier posts…all of this has been discussed back in Dec-Feb. :+1:

The preset physically correct is the slowest one, so it’s normal that it’s slow. But it will still render much faster with E-Cycles than with official builds using the same settings. Their is a tutorial about the presets available. Presets are only here for quickly switching between different quality levels. You can also just leave your scene as is and it will render faster out of the box. The fast preset gives around 4x and 8x faster render depending on the settings you already used. The very fast goes up to 15x faster rendering.

I’m looking into why Debian crashes with OIDN (the intel denoiser used by E-Cycles). I made a build for you without the AI denoiser in the mean time so that you can still benefit from the other features.

The 190516 build has also the problem that mouse clicks don’t work as expected in the outline and 3d viewport (can’t select any object). Also Debian 9 with Xfce on 1950X.

Will there be a feature so I can see what preset I have chosen? Or even better, display that a preset has been changed? Some software does this by displaying a * after the preset name.

Currently It is hard to see what preset is set, especially when repoening a file…

@JTA ???
it’s actually a request from the fracture modifier devs themselves as they now are also using E-Cycles and want their modifier included. I asked if I could then make the build available to all customers instead and they agreed. Until now I actually said people who want E-Cycles with other branches to take the course, so that they can even mix several branches together if they want. But if the Branch creators themselves ask for a custom build, I’m with it. It’s not done yet anyway, so you can speak with them if you want.

4 Likes

Hi Mathieu, i been using ecycle for about month, it’s really amazing. thanks for your hard work.

just out of curiosity, have you ever thought about implement custom Open VDB volume rendering (like Redshift & Octane ) into ecycle?

1 Like

I’ve indeed plans to use OpenVDB more in the future, but there is a lot going on in this direction at the moment already, so I concentrate first on things nobody is working on.
PS: :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Yes, it’s in the 190516 build that you need the factory settings in the user prefs to get proper selection.

The preset system I use is the one from Blender itself. (you also have presets available in the light path panel, etc.) You are welcome to give improvement suggestion to them, but doing it on the E-cycles side alone would probably break compatibility.
I’ll have a look to see what I can do while staying 100% compatible as I was also thinking like you the first time I used them.

1 Like

That’s really great to hear.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

To stay with the facts: This was NOT a request of the FM devs as a team. It has been a request by @dafassi towards me, asking whether there is a newer FM version on which basis it shall be merged. But there is none.
And my opinion is, that the FM was “born” in freedom, and will stay free, forever lol… :wink:

1 Like

Ok, I thought the team was asked before doing the request. But who brought the theory it was a plan from me? You are welcome to clear things in your team and please check the facts before spreading rumours (who ever spread that rumour).

Has E-Cycles the same limitation as Cycles?

Like emitting a bitmap as a light source over a mirror onto a plane is not possible?

So far I’ve only seen Luxrender and Octane being capable to do that…
that’s the reason we have a Octane subscription (but expires end of year ;o)

Do you mean like an emmisive UVmapped textured screen (plane object) with lets say branding info on it, then mirrored to represent two outboard screens?

Well better to show how it was rendered with LuxCore:

The lightsource can’t be seen…it was just a spot light with the bitmap set as emission…

Well not that important at the moment…only from time to time I need to render something like this to visualize products with user interfaces using DLP beamers, transparent OLED/MicroLED and so on…

1 Like

@bliblubli RE: "…fracture modifier devs… " and “…so you can speak with them if you want.”

Ummm, hmpf! I happen to be one of the FM team core devs and have been from the beginning working with Scorpion81 and Kaik. So there is no speak to them in your context since I am one of them, just so you know. We have regular meetings on various topics and “them” speak on a regular basis as far as myself, Scorpion81, Kaik and Jens…, aka the core devs in this context.

And “themselves” as a team have not made a request to be included and nor have “them” “agreed” to being included in your paywalled project. I can attest to that since I speak to the four people I mentioned above regularly and Scorpion81 almost daily. I’m not getting picky. I am just stating facts and looking for accurate information. I see Scorpion81 also replied similarly.

I will definitely bring up this topic now that I’ve been made aware of it in this current context you have mentioned and I’ll make sure things get further clarified. So I appreciate you openly responding to my question with some clarification. I don’t like PMing in this context since to me that feels more like collusion rather than cooperation and collaboration in the spirit of open source.

I’ll get back to you with a few more follow-up questions ASAP and some more clarification. Thanks again for your time and responding.

Viva F/LOSS and Fracture ON!

2 Likes

That’s interesting. E-Cycles “is” in general Cycles just gone to the next level, but you have me curious. I do a lot of mirroring and transparencies for event rendering and haven’t come across this so I’m gonna try it out and report back.

Did you mean something like this?

2 Likes

I renderd this animation using ecycles Neon Alley

here’s some comparison: Daily build (11’31"), Ecycles Custom preset (09’39"), Ecycles Fast preset(07’42")

The daily build uses the same settings as the Ecycles custom preset. The two things that I find more powerful in ecycles are the intel denoiser and the different way the AO approximation works, which is you don’t get black transmission materials when you go too low. The distance scrambling is also good to have, but I often don’t see huge time differencies and it does tend to give artifacts. It’s good for stills, but if you go too low those artifacts are quite visible in animations.

Here are the frames
Daily 2.79

Ecycles fast preset

Ecycles Custom preset

2 Likes

Yes, dropping the scrambling out for animations makes it clean on my end as well…good work :+1:

1 Like

Did you use bidir to render this image? If I understand right, you project an image on a mirror which reflects on half transparent glass and you want it to be physically simulated? If you could send me a file, I could have a look if you want.