E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

Intel lost several courts in the past for slowing down programs on AMD processors for no technical reason. But if it was the case here, I guess it would do the same on all distros. I think it’s just that TBB is picky, not the first time I get issues with it. I updated it to the latest version some weeks ago, I’ll try to revert to a 2018 version and report.

Hi Mathieu -

A question about Barista integration. Do you know if its as simple as selecting it as a dropdown in their options or does it require a custom setup? I know its not your product but I wanted to make sure I am able to use it with E-Cycles!

Well it is interesting that all started at the same company…and some people founded a new company integrated electronics (Intel ;o)…just one of the old employees they didn’t like…so he founded AMD (o;

With everything Intel does and the financial power difference, AMD is doing very well… But it seems you may be right. I installed a distro I know is working with OIDN on a Ryzen machine and get this crash… The 20190516a build work, so it looks like newer TBB don’t like ryzen processors,

I didn’t had time to try it yet, just got a mail from it’s developer for the new update and it specifically says the new version supports E-Cycles. I’ll ask him how easy it is to use.

Oh wow - interesting. Its cool that they see the value in integration! I just sent a message on Blender Market as well inquiring. I’ll let you know how it turns out!

1 Like

Hmm…“giacometti”…so you’re from Grischun? (o;
Or just a big fan of him…

For my Twitter followers, sorry, I wanted to give E-Cycles a birth date and they banned my account saying nobody under 13 years old is allowed to speak on Twitter :smiley:

5 Likes

Now that’s to funny :joy:

1 Like

I lolled so hard :smiley:

1 Like

Just a fan! I actually don’t know nearly enough about him but I like his work!

1 Like

Has anyone any figures what the speed difference is in E-Cycles between a RTX2080 and RTX2080Ti?

OctaneBench 4.0c shows a speed improvement of around 37%, but the price difference is much higher…

Has anyone run into VRAM problems with only 8GBytes?

Unfortunately I don’t know what the practical difference is between those cards. I HAVE heard that you might want to consider a 1080Ti in this market because they are so much cheaper used with similar performance to 2080Ti in Blender as it stands. I could be wrong tho…

Opensuse Tumbleweed doesn’t work here, none of the versions work for me since the 20190508, tumbleweed version always latest, no funky stuff just installed tumbleweed, nvidia drivers and blender but it’s always: Segmentation Fault core dumped. No further readouts. Any help from tumbleweeders that say it works would be great. I have a version with OIDN removed and that works for now, but otherwise nothing.

Thank you

Hello Mathieu

Do you intend to release like a blender_benchmark version for your E-Cycles branch?

That way people could also try it out and check for any compatibility issues besides seeing the speed improvements (o;

I think about it since a while, the problem is that I have tons of things to do and I prefer to invest time in making E-Cycles better for current customers. The problem with Linux and OIDN is narrowed now. @mib2berlin for example has also Tumbleweed, but on Intel processor and it works. I tested Ubuntu and Debian on i7 and Ryzen with same build, same distro, same updates installed: the Intel PC start E-cycles 20190617, the AMD one crashes. Same machine, same E-Cycles on Windows, it works on both. So there is an issue with TBB on Linux/AMD.

Boostclock tested E-Cycles on many cards, including 2080Ti and 2080:

Full article is here . It looks like the results are comparable to the one you mentioned with a 35% boost between 2080 and 2080Ti.

1 Like

Ah great…thanks :slight_smile:

I am still thinking if I should keep my two RTX2080 and add the GTX1080Ti when it returns from repair, replace the two RTX2080 with TIs, or add two more RTX2080 and get a X399 Taichi board…so much choices (o;

For rendering, the best scaling is with 2 cards. So 2 powerful cards are faster than many lower end cards at equivalent theoretical power.

I found out that DaVinci Resolve has the same problem with TBB on Linux/Ryzen.
I guess you are the same Davorin as over there?
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56878&start=1050
Do you know if DaVinciResolve now has a fix? The thread is 30 pages long…

At least, E-Cycles still has the 20190516 version working for you.