E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

Question about Blender course

1. will be updated until or after 2.8 official version released?
  2. will I be able to do same thing with E-cycle?
  3. Can I make an addon and combine it with other official or custom Blender release?
  4. Can I access to all functions of Blender?
  5. C++ programming can be easy really?

*Blender course - Make your own version

the coupons for 50% off today are here

1. it will be updated for final 2.80, it is still updated everytime it is needed as you can see here
  2. All E-Cycles update until February are in. So you already have the new AI denoiser node in it. I may update with the latest E-Cycles improvements later, but it may take time. I’m first finishing the French and German version.
  3. You can indeed add the 2x speedup and the AI denoise node on top of the Mantaflow or Fracture modifier branch if you want. Python addons work all like in official Blender, so you can use any addons available plus your own.
  4. Yes, the course is based on the full release version of Blender.
  5. Yes, look at the comments from students. It was my primary focus to make it accessible to artists that want to stay artists. And I’m also available per Email and PM to help. See those testimonials:

more testimonials here

the E-Cycles coupons for 50% off today are here

Some of you asked for a video of a render session. Here it is. Real render time without screen recording and compression is around 8sec per frame with one GPU only. It uses the preprocessing option of 2.79x.

1 Like

wow thats blastlingy fast what the heck !
i have this scene the result for 2.8 e-cycles is no near even with two 2080ti compare to 1x 2080ti in the 2.79 build ???

the 2.79 render was finished before my pre-rendering was even finished … can we expect that this difference will drop to 0 ?

Hey @bliblubli ,

so I just made a bit of testing on my personal project, but I am getting weird results.

Both renders are 2880x1620px.

This is rendered on 2.79b (no e-cycles). As you can see the indirect light and the caustics scattered from the water give a nice and homogeneous light to the left side of the image, the on under the roof).

1000 samples, no denoiser, 25min 07sec.

This one is rendered with E-Cycles, as you can see the indirect light is much much darker and caustics are basically not there anymore. Also if you look under the beams, there are two big black artifacts, and the water became more muddy, the detail of the bottom of the pool are lost. 16min 35sec

these are the settings (I cranked up the values in hopes of a better result).

Am I missing something?

ps I’m using the beta 2.7

The beta may have bugs indeed, to find out if it’s due to the scrambling distance which was added to the april update, can you please set it to 1.00 (it deactivates it). Also try to render with latest 2.79 buildbots, it may be a change in master. Their is a new russian roulette and other changes that affect the image in latest version. One client asked for a 2.79b version of E-Cycles, if your issue is due to the latest Cycles changes, I’ll do a 2.79b build.

The official release of 2.80 will get this pre-processing option in a monthly feature update. Note that pre-processing still takes 0.2sec and post pro like 0.5sec. Also note that the first time you render the scene, the pre-processing time is roughly like in Blender. But the next ones (other views or fly-through animation) will start to render nearly instantly.

How to use the new preset system for 47 sec to 11sec including pre-processing in this case:

2 Likes

Have you solved this issue?

He is using a beta, I’m pretty sure the bug is not present in the stable march version as it would already have been reported. The difference is too heavy in this case, everybody would notice.

So if I buy 2.8x E-Cycles, will I be subject to this kind of problem, since Blender 2.8 is still beta or is it not the case?

The stable version of the past month is always available until the new feature update is stable. The new feature update is only out since some hours, but it renders pretty fast. Until now, only one user reported such a bug and maybe indeed 2.8 beta doesn’t has it (I have no official bug report yet from Andrea, I’ll test as soon as he provides a file). So I would still recommend to use the beta as it is easier to use with presets.

1 Like

There is an article about E-Cycles on Blendernation with renders from professional architects:

You can see there that the stable version renders just fine.
I thought I would crawl under bug reports today and actually thought about postponing the beta, but only one bug report until now. So even the beta is pretty stable.

3 Likes

I like the image. But to me it looks more like a deliberate stress test :smiley: I mean, high wall to force caustics to do a lot of the lighting - bounced off of water even. Would that wall be a natural thing anywhere? Sun is high enough to suggest mid day, so it’s only going to let lower (and cast more shadows) for most of the day. Poor poor plants :smiley:

But it’s a good example of what caustics adds in a scene when used as an energy transport mechanism - usually people think of caustics only as caustic patterns. If I ever had to render a real scene resembling this, I would probably examine what a noisy caustics render look like, and then add fake area bounce lights with caustics disabled.

Just got it :smiley:

1 Like

Welcome on board :slight_smile: There is a nano turorial for the new presets until the new real one is adapted to the april update:

I recommend using the beta to directly get used to the new UI and it’s also much faster when using the new parameter :wink:

1 Like

Hi, work fine so far and thank you for the builds.
I have some problems with own files to get more than 30% speed and if I cant fix it I will you send PM with file(s).
Can you add your logo in the builds?
Sometimes I have own build with OIDN, Master and E-Cycles running and during comparing I have problems to see on wich build I am.

Cheers, mib

I will add a custom logo. The linux builds have the windows cubins, so that may explain the smaller win on Linux as the buildbots are already 10% faster on Linux. However, 30% sounds very low. As you have both, can you please test on windows first to see if the problem comes from the Linux builds? I will try to build the cubins on Linux to see if it helps.

It’s a beta, I’m open to discussion about design. I can let the spp outside of the presets. But all my beta testers were happy to quickly have all parameters set for speed or quality without understanding and tweaking 20 sliders. You can also add your own presets and modify existing ones.

1 Like