E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

How is that even possible?! Sounds like magic!

2 Likes

wondering, with such potential, will this improvement also be visible for OpenCL devices? :wink:

Yes you can use standart E-C to have all your cards to work. For animation though, the best solution is to have one instance of E-Cycles RTX rendering with RTX cards, another instance with standard E-Cycles rendering with GTX cards.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to check the potential of OpenCL with E-Cycles again soon.

2 Likes

what did i wrong? i opend the barbar shop file from blender website. i opend the file with the regular blender 2.8 and with the e-cycles rtx version. i reduced the sample count to 250. i didnt made any other changes. regular blender needed 5min and the ecycles version needed 5.30 min

Hi,
E-Cycles RTX doesnā€™t support Branched Path Tracing nor volumes and this scene uses both. Thatā€™s the reason for example why E-Cycles Nebulae build is based on the CUDA version. Itā€™s much faster in such use case.

Hi, thank you for your fast response!
Ah, ok.

No Volumes? Hm.
My first reason to buy e-cycles was to get rid of this ugly fireflys (and faster renderings with volumetrics). i use very often volumetrics. in this case e-cycles is probably no the right choice.

RTX doesnā€™t support them

Rtx dosent Support volumetrics? So i cant render fog with the volumetric principle / Volumen scatter?

Iā€™m new to Blender and even newer to E-Cyclesā€“

Iā€™m rendering an animation right now on Blender 2.81 and E-Cycles on a PC and when I look at the task manager Iā€™m pinging the CPU at 98% and the GPU at 1.4% even though Iā€™m set to GPU in the Blender prefs and the Cycles prefs. That seem right?

For volumes E-Cycles standard is adapted, thatā€™s why itā€™s included along the RTX version. So you can render volumes with RTX cards, if you use CUDA with standard E-Cycles.

Itā€™s probably because you activated your CPU in the edit -> preferences -> system -> CUDA tab. Also note that the windows task manager doesnā€™t report GPU usage right. MSI afterburner is much better for that.

No the CPU is unchecked in the Cuda tab. only my GPUs are checked.

1 Like

ok, then contact me to sort it out by:

• Gumroad: answering any mail you got from Gumroad about E-Cycles
  • Blender Market: ā€œsend messageā€ button on the right on the product page.

New alpha builds based on 2.82 are up for Windows. Many things were changed:

• OpenCL should now also be 2x faster compared to 2.81/2.82 builds. Official support is still focused on CUDA and OptiX.
  • The builds are auto-extractible, you just have to give a path where you want to have those.
  • CPU rendering should also be slightly faster as itā€™s now build with Clang instead of MSVC.

Feedback is welcome :slight_smile: If it works well, Iā€™ll upload the Linux and Mac builds in the coming days with also faster OpenCL.

2 Likes

Are you bringing Cycles OpenCL for Mac back to life?! If so, youā€™ll have glory forever and ever.

1 Like

As you know, Unfortunately, Apple abandoned OpenCL as well as CUDA. The support ended two years ago, and I donā€™t see any hope. Better wait for Blender to support Metal. (or Vulkan? I have no idea.)

And as far as I know, there is no developer whoā€™s currently polishing Blender Mac version now(after Ton switched to Linux). My humble advice is that it is better for you to move to a PC to use Blender.

1 Like

I use the rtx 2019 version. is there a sample cap? if i try to use samples above round about 16k samples i got an error. something like line 713?

1 Like

While OpenCL will stay officially unsupported in a first phase in E-Cycles, I can do that, yes.

2 Likes

E-Cycles can render as much samples as vanilla Cycles. I think I know what may cause this, so I can probably fix it. Is there a real need behind this or was it more a ā€œwhat happens if ā€¦?ā€ experiment?