E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

Hello, I was wondering what I am doing wrong. I have 2.93 CUDA version and when I try to render any scene, it comes out half-transparent(?).

Here how it is with -Composite- layer:

I can play with light groups here which is nice

And when I change the layer to -View Layer-, it is no more transparent looking quite alright:

But then, I can not play with light groups anymore. Also, it was crashing in the middle of the rendering and when I change it to -1x SSAA- from -4x SSAA- it seems like it is not crashing anymore. I am also attaching the AI Denoise settings in case I am doing something wrong there

edit: I think I am doing something definitely wrong, I just turned on AI Denoise & Sync Light Groups. Is it normal to have such a difference between View Layer & Composite?

Thanks a lot! ^^

With experimental kernel, I mean what is in your screenshot yes, but you alos need to turn adaptive subdiv in the modifier and set you material to use displacement iirc.

Hi,
thanks for the report. The half transparency issue is fixed in E-Cycles 2.93.1. It may require to deactivate/reactivate the AI-Denoiser in existing files.
For the crash, SSAA 4x takes 4x the memory to store each pass and you activated denoise all passes, so if you have a lot of pass, you need a lot of memory. Running out of memory on host (system memory) or GPU can lead to crashes. If you still have memory available and it crashes, I would need a .blend file and the information from the “steps for bug reports.txt” file (available in your downloads). You can then open a ticket on https://blendermarket.com/products/e-cycles by clicking on “Ask a question” in the right panel or by answering your Gumroad purchase confirmation mail.
Regarding light groups, it is normal that your combined pass look different from the composite output as when using light groups in the compositor, it uses the strength and tint you defined per light group pass, while the combined pass takes all passes as if they had strength 1.0 and tint pure white. If you mean something else, I would need a .blend file to reproduce as explained above.

You can now get E-Cycles 2.93.1 builds with following improvements:

• fixed an issue with transparency when using OptiX with E-Cycles AI-Denoiser
  • optimized rendering speed with SSAA at low samples
  • the improvements from upstream Blender 2.93.1!

Happy rendering!

Artwork made with E-Cycles recently

AEROMECH - PROJECTION PDW by Alex ONeill

Virtual Tour of modern great room by Dominik Koutny

Lumpy space thingies by Brent Patterson

Modern apartment by Petra Trebjesanin

Hi Mathieu,
I just downloaded the 2.93.1 because of the semi transparent render when using AI denoise, but unfortunately the problem is still there, even with a new scene from scratch

Thanks a lot for your reply. I had one other quick(?) question regarding light groups. Why am I having this many in the compositor while I have much less in the scene? Many of them are duplicates. Is there a way to refresh the light groups? I tried to delete them manually and sync again, but the result was the same.

Hi Bernardo,
thanks for the report. Can you please check it’s not just the mix node in the compositor? If not, I would need a .blend file to reproduce as the default file works for me and all the my regression test scenes.

Hi,
thanks for the report. There is indeed a bug with reference counting in Blender 2.93, which leads to such issues sometime when updating the collections. I’m trying to find a workaround to this core issue as I have little hope that it get fixed with around 1500 open bugs currently. Just in case it’s something else than the other report I got, can you please provide a .blend file on BM or Gumroad (you can see PDF documentation for the steps to folloz on the platfrom you are on).

1 Like

hi Mathieu,

Thanks for the answer. You are right, it is just the mix node. The noisy render layer output is empty, and for some reason mix node adds that weird semi transparency to the render. It’s good to know, so now it’s easy to fix. However maybe it could be good to remove the mix node at the moment?

To reproduce the problem I think it’s quite easy, as for me it’s enough to render the default cube with the AI denoiser activated. I hope I am not the only one with this issue?

1 Like

Thank you for your prompt responses, I really appreciate it. I am going to provide the blend file later today, but I was just wondering if there is any manual way to refresh that list as I cannot control light groups anymore

Hi Bernardo,
that issue is fixed in 2.93.1 actually as far as my tests go. As said in the update mail, it may require to deactivate/reactivate the AI-Denoiser (you can simply clicking the main panel checkbox twice) in existing scenes to update the compositor node tree. I just double checked and it works in all the files I tested, you may just have saved a default file with the old node tree?

1 Like

You’re welcome. Normally, you can apply (if you don’t want to keep the values you have set, you can set everything back to 1.0 strength and 1,1,1 color before applying) and then resync, but I would have to check on a file showing the issue to be sure. It may require to save and reload the file before resyncing the light groups to flush the junk collections Blender 2.93 produces. I’ll try and report asap.

that’s weird… maybe I’ve downloaded the wrong version? :smiley: I’ll check it out

Or I uploaded the wrong one :wink: Anyway, at least with a compositor window opened and 2 clicks on the panel checkbox, it should work :slight_smile:

1 Like

What is actual the best way for mac m1 machines to run blender / cycles as fast and stable:

• E_cycles_2.90.1_v20201012a_mac.zip is the last version i found, is this correct?

• official lts builds?

• blender 3.0 beta with cycles x?

• why otoy is doing so good with octane for m1 chips?

Hey Everyone, need some guidance. I am using the latest 2.93 from Ecycles and I am having a hard time generating any fog of volume in blender using cycles. No matter what I do. Either the world volume scatter or a box with principled Volume attached to the volume not…I get nada. Any Help please

Nevermind I realized now that it is because you have to go into another mode and then reactivate viewport rendering. Is there a reason this just doesn’t happen natively @bliblubli ? Why do we we have to deactivate the viewport renderer and then turn it back on to see the volumetric?

1 Like

@bliblubli i know this sound like stupid. But I want to know.

1. I lost my rtx card few days ago. Before that I was using RTX e cycle. Now I have to use my old gtx card. So, should I need to use CUDA version of e cycle? Has there any performance issue except card. I am using 2.93
    Thank you.

Hi, the RTX version include the Cuda version, it should be exactly the same.

Cheers mib

1 Like

Oh thanks man.

1 Like

Hi Phil,

if you are just looking for speed on M1 with CPU rendering, normal Blender builds for M1 should be enough.
The latest E-Cycles builds for Mac are 2.93.1 ones.
In my test, the best M1 one chips are still 40x to 100x slower than an RTX 3090. Most of my mac users switched to PC to be able to use RTX. Priority for M1 support is low currently.