E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

:zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

I wanted to have a look to that actually, so maybe in a future feature release.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what’s your idea to achieve something like that?

3 Likes

Mistery :wink:

2 Likes

All builds are now up for all platform. The main change in the April update, is the new noise property (scrambling distance) which allows to get much faster and cleaner renders at lower values. It may give artifacts if set too low, but the value should still stay under 0.2 to give a significant result.

Cleaner results with lower values also mean better denoising. Here an example in classroom of a lower value when used with the AI denoiser together. The march update uses the standard E-Cycles sampling method, the April version has noise set to 0.04, both uses the AI denoiser at level 3.

AI%20april%20update

Regarding speed, here is a video of the render process for the scene 009 from Evermotion on a 2080Ti with noise at 0.02:

Short version of the other changes for the beta:

• it has the multi-gpu fix, so the April release has one build for all.
  • It uses half the memory when denoising with all passes (transmission and SSS included).
  • It has the latest AI denoiser addon, which can now regenerate the tree with new settings in one click, so much easier to use.
  • it has the latest Filmic version as an option with the log encoding. See this Blender Conference presentation for a very good explanation of why it’s so powerful :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVKnhJN-BrQ

So it’s a pretty big release. The doc comes soon, have fun with it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi Mathieu, can you add the Windows release build to my account again, please?
I will only ask for if new release builds available in the future.

Thank you, mib

Not fair :smile:

yep sorry, will add it back.
Edit: Die Windows Build sollte für dich verfügbar sein jetzt.

I’ll tell more when I’m far enough :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hi @bliblubli, I don´t know if this is considered a bug or a normal behavior in your code but:
I was doing some tests with scrambling distance and I found that in the final render it works as expected, but not in viewport. It has no effect , and it is in viewport where I mostly use it for fast previews (I used to use Theory builds before purchasing E-cycles).
And another problem, in my little knowledge, the value should be limited between 0 and 1, in E-cycles, I can even go to negative values.
Thanks for your time and your quick bugfixes.

EDIT: I use the latest Windows 2.8 build.
Here a screenshot:

and here how it should look like after only 4 samples (same as in the viewport):

English is not my first language.

@bliblubli, thank you for the effort.

Gruß, mib

1 Like

I deactivated it for the viewport because the first samples flicker a lot like in Eevee, but I can bring it back indeed. At least in your scene, it seems to have a great impact. I finish the doc and I upload a new build with those changes. I guess the negative values give funny results :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks mathieu! I Guess you can let It as an option in viewport if It doesnt work as expected to other people.

The new version is up. It’s an option in the performance panel/viewport. As it flickers a lot, it’s still on opt-in option.

1 Like

thanks for the comparison - seems pretty conclusive to me…

rawalanche?

what are those tile squares of noise in both renders?

I’m interested :slight_smile: still

i’m viewing on my laptop so maybe i’m missing them but which squares do you mean?

I also see a normal render, maybe an automated scaling gives the squares on your screen?

oh my bad! seems like Opera makes some odd scaling when viewing jpegs… :thinking: