E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

No, there are E-cycles 2.8x and E-cycles 2.7x. I purchased E-Cycles 2.8 and using that now.

For some reason I thought that was his version number, because I couldnā€™t find where he mentions Blender 2.8ā€¦ Thanks so much for the info.

check it

E-Cycles 2.8x

E-Cycles 2.7x and 2.8x

1 Like

Hi, and no, it is 2.79 and 2.8.
The latest ā€œStableā€ builds are from 12.04.2019.
@bliblubli is on vacation for another 9 days and next updates follow as betas end of April and next stable in Mai.

Cheers, mib

How embarrassing. Yeah, really sorry for the confusion guys. I was thrown off by his use of the word official somewhere in his text and took that as meaning stable 2.79xā€¦

Guys, I bought E-Cycles 2.8, downloaded the Apr 15, 2019 Adaptive Sampling version, fired it up, but Iā€™m not seeing Quick Settings or AI Denoise in the Scene menusā€¦ just looks like regular Cycles stuff in thereā€¦ What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Never mind. I downloaded the regular Apr 12 one and all is good. Not worried about how to make other work for now.

Hi, check Apr. 15 version if AI denoise addon is enabled.

Cheers, mib

Hi all, bought e-cycles and it is great!
I wish @bliblubli a speedy recovery :slight_smile:

I am looking for advice on this one scene.
Out of the box it has the same rendertime on master and ecycles.
Sometimes master is 2 sec faster. I am wondering what the special case is here. Surely I am missing something.
CUDA device is set to only use GPU.

Maybe somebody can take a look? Here is the file (36MB)
Textures are all resized to 25% to save space.

CPU: Intel(R) Coreā„¢ i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080
nvidia Driver Version: 418.56
ecycles version: E_cycles_2.8_v20190412_lin

if there is a lot of instancing it may be slower due to a bug that doesnt take memory instancing, i dont know if its fixed but for me it was a huge performance slower

1 Like

Guys, Iā€™m finally getting around to test rendering some crapā€¦ Iā€™m a little perplexed. For animations that render super fast (like 2.5 sec per frame), is it common for you guys to not have your GPUs hardly even warm up with E-Cycles or regular Cycles? I have three GTX 980Ti Hybrids and they are all topping out at around 39Ā° Celsius while renderingā€¦ In Octane I am used to temps more like upper 50s under load during renders. So my thinking is that E-Cycles, while rendering my simple animation test damn fast, it could be waaaaay faster if only it were really using GPUs to a point where they are heating up some. Please advise.

Heat just means more work is being performed. Maybe Cycles isnā€™t working the graphics card as hard as Octane because itā€™s more efficient or doing less calculations. Thereā€™s any number of reasons why but it doesnā€™t necessarily mean it could be any faster.

Errrā€¦ Iā€™ll have to load up a heavy scene with tons of geo, 4k PBR maps, and render a nice high-res imageā€¦ I have a feeling they are not going to heat up much. Itā€™s all good, E-Cycles is kinda getting me over a hump until Octane Blender 2.8 is readyā€¦ sadly, in a couple monthsā€¦

EDIT: Temps after 15 minutes on highest settings with a 4k render cooking: GPU1 (display) 51Ā°, GPU2 47Ā°, GPU3 43Ā°ā€¦ so definitely warmer than my simple-ish animation test, but still not terribly warm. Iā€™m not budging from my contention that if a GPU render engine is not creating a real nice fat chunk of heat, it is not pushing itself hard enough. I wanna heat this :pizza: on the top of my caseā€¦

Indeed. Instancing is broken in 2.8 and render preparation takes way longer than in 2.79. I hope this gets fixed soon.

its in high priority, it need to

thatā€™s good to know. @BD3D, do you have a link to the issue on the bugtracker?

You can try to replace every mass instanced object by instance collection who doesnā€™t have the bug and see if itā€™s the problem
https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/132372/replace-every-instances-of-an-object-by-a-2-79duppligroup-2-8collectioninstanc
Il my forest scene I had the bug and using this code was fixing my vray usage by 18gb to 3gb with a forest scene

2 Likes

Hi,
yes, everybody taking the course can get any E-Cycles version with 50% off. Many missed the Gumroad day or had trouble with the high traffic, so Iā€™ll redo the sale for a week-end in May, when the upcoming may update is stable (first May feature update builds should be up next week).

There is currently a bug indeed with instancing in Blender 2.8. It uses huge amount of Vram and makes the pre-processing very slow. 2.79x works as expected, fast and memory efficient.

As 2.8x starts to stabilize, the E-Cycles May update will bring a first part of the 2.79x optimizations to 2.8x, bringing around 8-20% faster rendering depending on the scene and reducing memory usage.
After answering everyone, Iā€™ll start doing the new builds. If I somehow oversee someoneā€™s message, poke me and Iā€™ll answer asap.

Thanks to all for the kind words and support per PM, Email and here in the thread :slight_smile: I was impressed to see nearly everyone I spoke with actually has or had the same trouble with the mouse hand. Iā€™ll try every solution I got and report so that it can maybe help other too.

7 Likes

Welcome back :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yeah, welcome back Bliblubi! Back to work you! Chop chop!

So guys, I am getting random crashes to desktop when doing 1080p PNG sequence renders (w/ alpha, moblur, and a screen made of beveled curves ā€“ nothing else of noteworthiness)ā€¦ this happened twice on two different scenesā€¦ went to go eat a sammy last night and my 300 frame animation apparently pooped out at frame 210ā€¦ then basically same thing happened again this morning on another scene with only 240 frames it crashed at frame 189. Anyone else experiencing random crashes during animation renders?