E-Cycles - like a new GPU, 2.7x and 2.80 final available

Welcome on board :slight_smile:
I’m working on a batch solution, I hope to release something quickly after the 2.80 official release.
About Eevee, no Idea. I think devtalk.blender.org would be a good place to ask and you may also get some hint over there on how to export those.

1 Like

Thanks BB! Does that mean that RC1 in downloads does not have bug?

Yes. Just download the RC1 version again.

I removed the duplicates indeed. Like every software on earth, it still has bugs. You are welcome to report if you find one before final release :slight_smile:

My video card is down. How much of a speed boost could I expect using just my CPU? Thanks

Anyone having trouble with real displacement with the ecycles 2.8 rc1?

I get a black mesh if I try to use real displacement. It seems to work fine in the regular 2.8 rc1

Out of the box, only a few percent. Using the quick presets like fast or very fast, about 2-3x faster on average, using the AI denoiser and halving your sample count for stills or even dividing by 256 for baking, possibly 2x to 256x faster on top. Combined 4 to 768x faster depending on your usage. See here for baking comparison at 16 vs 4096 spp.

I’ll have a look asap.

For me at least it works. This is a simple cube with voronoi on it for displace and adaptive subdiv modifier:

Can you please provide a file and steps to reproduce?

added a cube, went into the shading tab, switched to cycles and experimental feature sets. added a shader on the cube, added a bitmap texture, a displacement node and added a subdivision surface modifier and activated adaptive. Finally changed the shader displacement settings to real displacement and bump.

Basically I think the only different step is that I am using a bitmap texture instead than a procedural one.

switching to cpu and back to gpu did the trick, but I was stll getting the black mesh at the beginning

Is there a solution for the SSS tint Harkunan pointed out? I’m also having the same issue. It seems like objects with SSS underneath transparent objects are tinted differently (in this case the hair cap and eyelashes with alpha textures)

Until this issue is resolved it’s impossible for me to use E-Cycles for my work, which is 85% characters :frowning:

Hi ashraf,
thanks for the report. I asked Harkunan for a file to reproduce and got nothing as of today. I tried myself and saw no artifacts. I can only fix bugs when I can reproduce. You are welcome to send me a file per PM with the email you used on Gumroad or to contact me on blendermarket.

I tried with GPU directly and it worked properly. Strange you had to switch to CPU and back to GPU. Maybe some old config conflict, a reset to factory default may help?

If the bug shows up again at some point and you find a way to make it reproducible, it’s welcome :slight_smile: Anyway, good to know it now works properly.

1 Like

unfortunately the blend contains stuff wich is not shareable.
If I start from scratch everything is ok, if I append the collections
into a new scene everything is also ok (cpu / gpu rendering the same scene)
it seems to be a problem with the native denoiser, but I’m not sure, deactivation after activation does not solve the problem.

will investigate it in the comming days…maybe I can pinpoint it.

Hi and sorry i can not share my blends (contracted material)

Take a look if you have RandomWalk Active in the sss, if so try running Burley and compare the results…
Dev have you tried using a human model with Base color, SSS, AO and compare the SSS shaders?

I Believe that looking on a human face model makes it easier to see the difference/artifact sense we human are so good at recognizing faces and when there is something that’s not right about it

Alright, I sent you the files through PM :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the blend :slight_smile:

Hi Matthew !
I have been using your builds for 2.8
I decided to upgrade my CUDA (NVIDIA) drivers as you suggest, but ran into crashes (likely memory leaks), which I describe extensively in a separate thread.
I eventually rolled back the driver, to an old version and back to no problems, but I’m wondering if I am missing features and/or speed.
Could you please take a look at the crash behavior and maybe suggest a reason why newer Nvidia drivers cause problems.
I have read your documentation carefully and tried the suggestions there. In all cases: old driver rocks the newer drivers, performance withers slowly before eventually crashing (and video memory is left as partially full).

1 Like

Here’s a simple scene rendered with E-Cycles: