E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

You can click on my avatar then “message”

What’s the difference between the monthly 2.8 and 2.79 full version? It looks like my newest notebook GPU has died, and I’ll have to step down to my previous notebook (from a GTX 1060 Mobile to a 780m), so I got interested in your product, but since 170 euro is too expensive for me (that’s half the price of a GTX 1660 Ti where I live, and I can do so much more with a new card besides rendering in Cycles), I’d have to go with the monthly 2.8.

I’d like to know the difference in rendering in scenes using both DOF and Motion Blur. Some non photo realistic examples (like cartoon characters, which are my main line of work) would be awesome as well!

Hi Raphael,
the 2.79 version is stable and thus has some bonus features. 2.8x will get those features on the long term when it’s stable. Those 2 features are:

• the faster AI denoising on multi-GPU setups
  • and the option to only do the preprocessing phase once for fly-through animations (where only the camera moves)

Regarding non photo realistic examples, I think @vitorbalbio also does a lot of cartoon style renders. Maybe he can show some shots? If you know or have some good cartoon-style blends freely available, or if you PM me some, I can render them and show you the results.

1 Like

The weekly update is available now for Windows, Mac and Linux.
You can get it based on 2.8x or 2.79x. You can also take a monthly membership for 2.8x.

1 Like

A quick changelog:

• Both the 2.8x and 2.79x versions now have the AI denoiser addon built-in, so you only need to activate it.
  • The Quick Settings panel is in both versions now, exactly like in the tutorial. It brings all the speedup settings in one place, easily accessible.
  • Progressive rendering got a nice speedup from 7min19 in master to 1min10 in E-Cycles for a user scene

As someone asked here how to quickly preview light setups in Cycles, I had a try in E-Cycles to see. Here with 25 lamps:

And here when duplicating a row for 33 lamps:

So it’s fast, it allows to stay in the same engine and have the same unit for all lamps.

1 Like

Hi there!

I’m trying to use e-cycles on Arch and many of the required shared libraries are outdated. So far I’ve detected that required boost is 1.65.1 but the current version in the Arch repo is 1.69. Same issue with jemalloc.

Was wondering if it’s possible to provide the source to compile on my own system? Or at least a build for Arch in particular.

Best

Lightshot?

Hi there :slight_smile:
their is a static build available also, just it doesn’t has the new AI denoiser as it’s not working statically yet. I’m working on a fix myself as Intel seems to take time. I hope to have something tonight.
Best regards

Thanks for the suggestion. OBSStudio now support NVEnc and it’s very fast. It stills make rendering about 10% slower, but it’s acceptable compared to the overall speedup E-Cycles brings.

Original noisy render

nvidia optix denoiser from dnoise

inter open ai denoiser

dnoise lose a lot of informations compare to the intel denoiser

1 Like

Did you use level 3 ?

Hi @bliblubli

I buyed today the subsctiption for the blender 2.8 E Cycles.
I have to make an animation and I hope that this could help me a lot.
The problem is that for 2.8 Im not finding the right info to configuerate it. evean the only option to denoise i have is on the compositor with the denoiser node.
Can help me to find the way to set it to a good perfomance per freame please.

Thank you,
Pato.

nope didnt have the option

bad news, up there is ay that the last version of e-cycles got me 3x up speed, this was an error

cycles 1x 2080ti —> 18:55 —> = 1x speed
cycles 2x 2080ti —> 9:07 —> = 2x speed ratio

e-cycles 1x 2080ti —> 10:39 —> = 1.7x speed up! good !
e-cycles 2x 2080ti —> 5:01 —> = 2x speed ratio

visibly theres is two version on the march update
Release_e_cycles_2.8_v20190308
and
Release_e_cycles_2.8_march_update_test2

V2019 was 10:38 for the double 2080ti benchamrk

from 19min to 10min ! Basically E-cycles for 10e a month gave me a brand new virtual 1200e gpu for free

Files to reproduce are always good. The test version should actually be faster, so over the 1.7x ratio, so there is something to investigate definitely.

Hi Pato,

welcome on board :slight_smile: Which OS do you have? You have to activate the addon “AI denoise” to be able to use it. There is also a tutorial to show which option are the most effective. In most cases, you can already get the base 1.7 to 2.6x speedup out of the box, just by rendering the file as is.
Let me know if I can help you, we can also speak about specific files in PM.

Kind regards,
Mat

You have to activate the addon to have the option at the bottom of the render panel. All user reports until now show the Intel denoiser is much superior at level 3 than any other denoiser. I’ll add it to the tutorial as it seems to be required :slight_smile:

Hi Mat

Thanks for your response!
I have activated the AI as you told me and its working! and yes it seems to have better result.
To get the base from 1.7 you mean to copy the parameters? In some cases its quite hard as the options are some times quite different. And I cant go back to 1.7 as not everything is compatible with 2.8 or at least i tried before today with super bad results to open the file in 1.7
Im still work in the file with assets and textures, but trying to to set the camera paths and so. So ill keep in touch to see how its going and for sure asking for your help if you can.

Thanks,
Pato.

I bought it today and rendered 3 of my interiors. On average, it’s about 2x that fast. It is really satisfying to see this speed when rendering. Whether it is worthwhile for hobby, everyone must know for themselves. Looks like the potential of Cycles is pretty high.
I have one GTX 1080

3 Likes