E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

Another developer is working on it. There is no ETA yet. It will be released when it’s ready for broader use. But first tests look promising :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Octane releases RTX version with up to 6-7 x speedup.

can we expect similiar speedup with RTX graphics cards :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, the real speedup is more around 1.07 to 7.48 if I’m correct. It’s impressive indeed. I’m on it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Mat,

Thank you for all the responses and the development of this.
It’s possible to configure the amount of De noise in an easy way, I know its is possible with nodes, but at the moment they are quite few connections to the composite node. So ill super good to have and slider or something.
Ill just render a small sequence last night ill try to upload it.

Cheers,
Pato.

Hi Pato,
I’ll add it to the addon, in the meantime, you can just add a mix node with the denoised image and the noisy image and move the factor slider.
I’ll try to have it in the addon ready for the next weekly update.
Cheers,
Mat

Hi Mat,

Thanks for the quick response, and thanks for incorporate this to the addon!

Cheers,
Pato.

Hi Pato,

you can test the feature you asked for in the new version “E_cycles_2.8_v20190321_win”. It will create a mix node for you in the compositor, you just have to adjust it’s value. 1.0 is 100% the denoised image, 0.0 is 100% the noisy image.

It may vary depending on the scene, but I find 0.9 gives a nice grain to the image. Thanks for the suggestion, it pushed me to make it automatic. Artistic control is now very easy as it allows to tweak the strength after rendering quickly :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Mathieu

Hey.

Creating denoising nodes doesn’t work in the new version (3/21).

Hey,
do you have a file to reproduce? I tested on an empty scene, on bmw, and some own files, it all works.

You can try this scene.

EC_Test_02.zip (96.9 KB)

I think that I’ve pinned the error down. When I’m on a View Layer that is not represented in the Compositing View, the error pops up.

thanks for the report. That was it indeed, there is a test version that fixes the bug on the product page :slight_smile: (at the bottom with _test at the end)

I think you should add the nodes to the selected Render Layer node in the Compositing View rather than the active View Layer. It is very tedious to switch to a different View Layer just to have the nodes being added to the matching Render Layer input in the Compositing View.

Actually, it’s a bit tricky. Selection conflicts with active view layer. Some user will expect the denoising to work on the active view layer. But if this view layer has no render layers node yet, it can’t be selected?

Do you have a good way to determine which of the active node or the active view layer should have the priority to generate the denoising tree , so that it work for all use cases?
Note that about the tedious part, the addon I guess will always have cases where only the artists can decide what the right decision is. But in all cases, it still does the biggest part of the job by generating the node groups.

Hey.

I can’t speak for everybody, but to me it seems that a node altering action should be linked to a node based selection rather that the View Layer. It must faster to click through the nodes in the Compositing View than swapping View Layers. I might have View Layers for texture-heavy or geometry-heavy sets. I would not want to wait for them to redraw just for the purpose of creating some nodes in the Compositing View. Overall there are much more pro’s than contra’s for my suggestion. If you’re really in doubt - make two properly named buttons and let the user decide.

Ok, I understand your reasoning. I’ll add the current way back if a user really needs it. I prefer light UIs.
It will be in the real weekly release tomorrow.

I uploaded the new AI denoiser addon for those of you wanting the new version of the addon before the weekly update comes. It’s already available separately at the bottom of the page.

• it has a new mix node to be able to tweak the quantity of grain for your artistic needs.
  • it works in many more cases.
  • it will generate the node tree for the active render layer node if any, so that you can quickly denoise the layer view you want.
3 Likes

The new Denoiser nodes work great now. Cheers.

1 Like

The new builds for 2.8 are up for Windows and Linux. The mac version and 2.79 will follow soon.

1 Like