E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

E-Cycles + RT is possible indeed.
For the integration, it’s the long term goal anyway. For the “suddenly”, I’ll see if it happens.

1 Like

The new weekly build is up. Performance should be a bit better with denoising.

You still have a week to get 12% off. People buying now will benefit from the reduction for the following months too, even for a full year and will benefit from the upcoming feature update next week :slight_smile:

Will there be a version for Mac?

1 Like

2 users asked for it until now, so the chance are growing slowly, but I would have to buy a mac for that, so I need a minimum of 4 people for a full year to get at least 0$ if I take the cheapest imac available. Do you use CUDA on Mac?

Unfortunately I recently sold Mac Mini for about $100. We could make a deal :slight_smile:
Yes I use CUDA on Mac (still on High Sierra - damn you Apple!).

Oh, that’s sad indeed :smiley: Will try to find one for this price, but it’s hard.

If you want to use CUDA on macOS, you’ll have to use old hardware anyway. Typically, Macs can’t run with older versions of macOS, so any new Mac you buy today will run only macOS Mojave, for which there are no CUDA drivers.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

I’m finalizing the feature update for February. Less noise and even faster render are coming :slight_smile: Still 5 days to get 2.8x (monthly or annual) and 2.7x at the reduced price.

If your are interest in learning and understanding what E-Cycles is doing too improve performance in Cycles and build your own Blender version of E-Cycles.

Here is my review of bliblubli course see attach link Create your own Blender.

And if you want to both learn the code and have builds support, you take the course and get E-Cycles for half the price, just PM me :slight_smile:

so i gave it a try
2080ti in sli comparison before and after e-cycles

2.8 Windows 10
2000 samples 2000x1500px

ORIGINAL CYCLES 64x64 ------> 15min 43sec
E-CYCLES +AUTOTILE ----------->11min 03sec

= 28.6% faster = 1,28x faster

also the render is not exactly the same ? just a different noise seed ?

it feels quite low compare to the massive number that the 1080ti got with e-cycles tho
i still need to do some tests to see if sli is maybe not as fast as it should be, maybe the scaling is bad idk

+30% is amazing dont get me wrong but i was hoping for a good +50% with this card like the other did :cry:

i will try the evermotion scene tomorrow, same samples ? same resolutions ? If someone is interested in comparing perf i can share my scène in PM

thanks for the comparison. SLI should be disabled for good performance in cycles. First try with a single card to compare E-Cycles and Cycles to ensure SLI or anything else is not triggering a slowdown.
The noise is indeed most of the time lower (at least at the same level), it’s another benefit of E-Cycles and it will be even lower at same spp count in the next version.
If you send me the file per PM, I can have a look to it :slight_smile:

If you have more than one graphic card, dont join them in Sli because it is slower than rendering with them apart from each other. it is known for long time now

1 Like

GREEN RESTAURANT BENCHES if you want it i can share the file in PM (win10 on 2.8 only)

ORIGINAL RENDER BELOW

E CYCLES RENDER BELOW

Cycles 1x 2080ti (64x64) ------------------------------> 30.48 min
E-Cycl 1x 2080ti (Auto-tiles)--------------------------> 19.30 min = 1.57x Faster than master

Cycles 1x 1080ti (64x64) ------------------------------> 40.03 min
Cycles 1x 1080ti vs 1x 2080ti > = 2080ti is 1,3x Faster
E-Cycl 1x 1080ti (Auto-tiles)--------------------------> 25.34 min = 1.57x Faster than master
E-Cycl 1080ti vs 2080ti > = 1080ti in E-cycle is 1,2x Faster than a 2080ti in master

Cycles 2x 2080ti (64x64) SLI ENABLED ------------> 15.43 min
Cycles Scaling compared to a Solo card > = 1.97x Faster

E-Cycl 2x 2080ti (64x64) SLI ENABLED ------------> 11.03 min = 1.39x Faster
E-Cyc Scaling compared to a Solo card > = 1.74x Faster

this mean that i could got to 9.82 if the scaling was the same with two cards
:angel: please ?

SLI DISABLED OR NOT, IS THERE AN IMPACT ON THE RTX CARDS ?

Cycles 2x 2080ti (64x64) SLI DISABLED ---------> 15.30 = 1.5% faster
E-Cycl 2x 2080ti (64x64) SLI DISABLED ----------> 11.00 = 0.3% faster

as you can see, with the rtx series sli disabled or not the changes are not representative
Not with the RTX series, they use a new NV-link and this rules don’t apply with thoses cards visibly
https://www.chaosgroup.com/blog/profiling-the-nvidia-rtx-cards https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/NVLink-on-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2080-2080-Ti-in-Windows-10-1253/
this new Nvlink connector can also share vram, so if the devs optimize the set up i could have up to 22Gb of vram…

HAVING A WINDOWS MINIMIZED COULD AFFECT RENDER ?

E-cycl 2x 2080ti + WINDOWS MINIMIZED = 10.15 = 1.07x Faster than an active windows
so yes

IMPACT OF A COMMANDLINE RENDER ?

i got 10.37 with a command line render, still faster
also the VRAM went from 4500Mo to 3200Mo so the UI take 1.3Go of VRAM

4 Likes

Thanks for the scene and the tests. I’ll have a look asap. Can you also try to render from command line. Your config is very fast, so a lot of thing like the UI can become an overhead that reduce the visible improvement. To render from the command line:
c:\path\to\blender.exe -b c:\path\file.blend -f 1
Or simply minimize the window when rendering.

1 Like

So on a 1080Ti, the scene renders in 25min34s here, just pressing F12. So it seems your single card setup works properly. But there is something with the dual GPU setup. I’ll make a new build tomorrow which should make rendering faster in your case. In the mean time, would be awesome if you could make a command line render using the both GPU, with the command line also minimized.

600e gpu faster than a 1200e gpu, how amazing is this ! :slight_smile: (well i hope this rtx technology will get my perfs and money back… )
what about the render witouth e-cycles ? it will took an hour ?

i got 10.15 min with blender minimized, e-cycles, sli disabled
and 10.37 with the batch render with everything minimized, noted 1Gb less of ram during the render, 3232Mo instead of 4500Mo

no other apps running of course

ok, thanks so it’s 930/615=1,51x faster with 2 GPU and E-Cycles, that’s what I thought, the UI takes a lot of memory and also makes rendering slower in 2.8. It’s more noticeable for you as you have a configuration that does the path tracing extremely fast, so the UI is updated more often.

Interesting info about the UI, i’d totally forgotten that a couple years ago i’d read that maximising/Ctrl+Space the render window could help speed up renders too. i’ll give that a try when i’ve got some time. it’s a shame there’s not some built-in code to disable/minimise/whatever the UI when you hit F12 if it’s a known issue.