E-Cycles - sales coming on 4th of April and Mac 2.8 version available

commercial

(mathieu) #487

@rawalanche I updated my post, but that’s so dumb, that even the forum notice it’s the same image (it calculates hashes and the hash is the same… so it just keep the first one.).
Edit: it even replaced the name with the one from the other render, it looks like a big fake :smiley: removing. You can download the image twice if you want and compare the 2 downloads :wink:

(polygonsoul) #488

Thanks for the update bliblubli, so this comparison is vanilla vs. e-cycles with the same sampling algo - 18:10 min vs. 13:07, right? I could imagine some people would like to see your new sampling algo in comparison (same settings for bounces, no caustics, clamping etc.) to see the speed gains. Personally I would love to see the images without denoising to judge noise quality and afterwards separated tests regarding denoising vanilla vs OIDN.

To make things clear in advance, I will be future E-cycles customer and I really appreciate your hard work!

(mathieu) #489

yes, as @rawalanche asked, I used the option nobody uses to get the exact same sampling as vanilla Blender (so exact same rendering), thus only 1.4x faster in this case, instead of 2.1x faster with the new algo. I will do a comparison of vanilla sampling/denoise vs E-Cycles sampling/denoise if you want.

(polygonsoul) #490

Ok, cool!

Its not really about what I want, it is perhaps more about how you present the results of your work in the best way possible, to prevent speculation/misunderstandings etc. :slight_smile:

Are there speed gains through faster pre-processing, yet? If so, please show analytic results :smiley:

(mathieu) #491

The faster pre processing is a work in progress. The next update will bring faster rendering in most scenes (about 20%) with the exact same output. The preprocessing time speedup will come later.

(Flavio Della Tommasa) #492

Hi Math, are you also implementing CPU usage? Or maybe I misunderstood?

(mathieu) #493

I am, but it is beta and only for testing purpose for now.

(mathieu) #494

So here is a comparison of the master denoiser and new E-Cycles denoiser:

The noisy image at 36spp (is the same in both master and E-Cycles):

The master denoiser (21sec render time):

and denoised with E-Cycles (21sec render time using current builds, 10sec render time using the improved processing time):

Most of the render time is preprocessing and postprocessing in all cases. The actual path tracing is done in 3sec.

Edit: By the way, it’s the blend file from evermotion as is, with only the spp at 36 and the compositor denoising. So it’s setup in some seconds.

(mathieu) #495

People who would be interested in a version with only the AMD and CPU speedup (10 to 20% faster) plus the new denoising node with 50% off can put a like on this post.

(Ace Dragon) #496

Doing a direct comparison, the E-cycles denoiser is indeed smoother and produced far better results in a few areas.

However, it turned the upper cabinets into a simple green box, muddied the detail on the wooden floor, and actually changed the shape of the legs under the left table in spots. In any case, it’s still a foolish thing to think the latest in AI and machine-learning tech. is going to produce miracles.

(mathieu) #497

It’s a 36spp render, I will add more examples at higher spp and with better settings.

(mathieu) #498

New weekly builds are available.

Edit: a dll was missing, it’s now fixed.

(mathieu) #499

The builds for OpenCL/CPU rendering are coming, including the new denoising node.
Although it’s intended for stills, the new denoising at 36spp looks like that in videos:

Stay tuned.

E-Cycles for CPU and OpenCL with new denoiser
(mathieu) #500

A 4 AAspp BPT render of the 2.78 splash screen with the new E-Cycles denoise.

The OpenCL and CPU build will be available soon.

(BigBlend) #501

Question?: Could you make 4 renders of the same still. 26spp, 72spp, 130spp, 260spp. I think any denoiser for pro use in the end is to eliminate the small noise.

(mathieu) #502

E-Cycles for CPU and OpenCL at half the price is now available. You can see a comparison of the denoisers here E-Cycles for CPU and OpenCL with new denoiser

Edit: Merged back with the original E-Cycles, so their is one product for all devices. (with still the choice between 2.8 and 2.7)

(mathieu) #503

Here are some examples of the 2.78 splash screen by Juri Unt (www.cgstrive.com)

If you want a version for CUDA, which is also 2x faster to render than official version, you can get it here for 2.8 https://gumroad.com/l/tsTuV or here for 2.7 https://gumroad.com/l/SeYhy

You can also see a video of classroom made at 36spp here E-Cycles - Render interiors under a minute with cuda

If you want to learn how to add such functionnality, make rendering faster, add new modifiers and create your own Blender, you are welcome to take part to this course: https://gumroad.com/l/ecycle/kn67150 :slight_smile:

(Asticles) #504

So, if I currently have the CUDA version, can I access to this one for free?

Thanks.

(mathieu) #505

Yes, the OpenCL improvements are already in the CUDA version. For CPU, their is a beta build at the bottom of the CUDA product page.

(Grzesiek) #506

Eager to see this develop further. And cool to see the split.