E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

Consider me asking for a 2.82 Mac build.

2 Likes

E-Cycles 2.82 for Mac is now available :slight_smile: E-Cycles builds based on stable Blender releases in 2020 will now also get a mac build.

Please spread the word everywhere you can. If enough people join, I may restart the weekly builds too for Mac!

Happy rendering!

@KRUChY @anon80315389 @davidmikucki @kilon @andreaavellino etc.

1 Like

Made with E-Cycles by @Luan3dr:
https://twitter.com/Luan3dr_blender/status/1228373550953881604

2 Likes

E-Cycles can give you more detailed images with 8x less samples than the already awesome OIDN node from Blender 2.81. If you don’t believe, look at this comparison by Marvin Luebke. And it works with any device, so you can use it with OpenCL and CPU rendering :slight_smile:

Faster render, more details and one click setup :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s a great comparison, I love how the timber floor detail is still consistent after denoise in E-Cycles.

Is there any progress in implementing NVIDIA® OptiX™ AI-Accelerated Denoiser? We are planning to buy a lot of new generation of RTX card. Since we run things on server so we really want to make use of VRAM more than RAM.

NVIDIA® OptiX™ AI-Accelerated Denoiser is already in E-Cycles 2.82 and 2.83 builds since December. It’s the one used in the viewport and is available in the pass system like the old NLM denoiser.
But E-Cycles AI denoiser is of better quality still in all the tests I and other artists have done (see my previous post for example), so it’s the best choice for final render. If you find a case where OptiX denoiser is better, you are welcome to show it :slight_smile:

Very nice comparisson! I would like to know if it’s possible the E-Cycles settings for that render. Just to compare with more information like light paths, AO bounces, etc.

Thanks!

1 Like

Viewport OptiX denoiser is amazing! It really makes a difference! Great job.

I have a question regarding out of core memory rendering. So if we want full speed whole scene has to fit GPU memory, right? I was rendering 2K res scene and had to limit textures to 2048MB, but when I set resolution to 4K, everything was fine to about 50% of the render, then the CUDA error happened.

OptiX CUDA error CUDA_ERROR_ILLEGAL_ADDRESS in cuMemcpyHtoDAsync(launch_params_ptr + offsetof(KernelParams, tile), &wtile, sizeof(wtile), cuda_stream[thread_index]), line 753OptiX CUDA error CUDA_ERROR_ILLEGAL_ADDRESS in cuStreamSynchronize(cuda_stream[thread_index]), line 2576

So when the render resolution rises, there is even more hunger for VRAM?
Is there any bypass solution other than rendering with CPU or buying quadro? :slight_smile:
(btw. I have 2x 2080Ti).

And I was wondering what does “Transparent Shadows” option do exactly? I know what is it used for, but what does the code do in the background? Do I even need light output node in my glass shader?

1 Like

You can ask it’s original author here.

1 Like

If your scene assets are near the limit of your GPU memory, then the image size can lead to using system memory.

I recommend to use smaller tile size in this case (in the performance panel, uncheck auto tile size and set them to like 64x64). Using the background render buttons in the quick settings panel and closing Blender can also help a lot by freeing the part of the memory taken by the UI (it’s a lot in 2.8).

If it still crashes, I will need a .blend per mail (answer any Gumroad mail about E-Cycles)/ or message (blender market) with your computer specs including OS, CPU model and driver version.

The transparent shadows are usefull for low poly assets with alpha transparency. If you use modern assets for your vegetation too, you can leave it deactivated. And indeed, you can also remove your shader tricks, please have a look to the video tutorial available in your downloads for the best practice about it (it’s in the Barcelona Pavillon part).

Some of you had issues with upgrade coupons this week-end, so I will let the $50 off offer on the Blender Market on until tomorrow.

1 Like

I don’t know is it a bug or a shortcoming.

Is it normal that Cycles reports 7GB peak memory usage, and it still crashes during render (resolution 3340x4000), tiles 64x64? During the render Windows report 10/11 GB vram usage.

To know if it’s a bug, I would need a .blend file to reproduce with: your CPU and GPU model, OS, driver version and exact E-Cycles version used.
You can contact me by answering any mail from Gumroad about E-Cycles or send a message through the Blender Market page.

I once had issues with memory when using the Blender Denoiser and “Hilbert Spiral” bucket order. Switching to “Right to Left” bucket order helped. If the “Auto Tile Order” option still is available, you can try that.

1 Like

One thing I don´t understand so I ask for a quick advice. When I render with RTX e-Cycles on GTX cards, should I render with CUDA settings enabled or Optix settings enabled?

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it didn’t help.
Looks like, as soon as VRAM of the display gpu surpasses 10GB of dedicated GPU memory it crashes or it slows down alot. It doesn’t help even if I render with only secondary gpu.
I will send the bug report, so hopefully we will find out.

1 Like

Hi, you can use both but Optix should be 2-4 times faster and have viewport denoising.
Optix lacks some Cycles/Cuda features, Ambient Occlusion for example.

Cheers, mib

1 Like

Hello,
will Optix support Ambient Occlusion in the near future? AO is essential for my work and it is the only thing that keeps me from using Optix rendering & RTX E-Cycles.

Optix can render ambient occlusion. If you are talking about optix supporting shader raytracing i.e. shader nods such as ambient occlusion. Then yes we are all eagerly awaiting this feature. I have not been able to find any information on who is working on this feature and when it will be implemented, but I am also hoping to see this asap. :grinning:

2 Likes