E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

Hey Mathieu,
is a built with the enhanced viewport improvements already available?

It will be the next monthly feature update, so in 4 days. Note that it actually came from a WIP I made in another thread, that a moderator brought back here. It was tested and coded like in a week or so. Because now a lot of users seem to want it like now, I release it. The default cube may be slower, it may burn your cat, etcā€¦ it is only tested on professional archviz renders with lots of lights and/or glass and complex materials.

Another preview with SSS everywhere (the bread has it, the fruits, the cheese, the cakes, etc.), loads of refraction bounces through glass, wine, water:

still even with SSS covering a fourth of the image, under 4 sec, otherwise, under 2sec.

9 Likes

awesome work.

3 Likes

went back to OIDN a bit, 3sec for the BMW scene at default resolution:

7sec at 100% (4 times the pixels)

7 Likes

WoW! Impressive! Wondering how my Titan RTX in e-cycles will perform than :slight_smile:

For High end cards, I recommend to take the 2.7x version. Itā€™s the version Iā€™m developing on, so you get some preview of WIP features like the BVH building being computed only once for videos were only the camera moves or faster OIDN denoising. It makes a big difference, because in current state, the path tracing phase becomes very short, so reducing the preparation phase and the denoising phase greatly reduces the overall time.

Hi Mathieu,

Thanks for your great work. Just tested E-Cycles with my usual interior scene and the speed up is AMAZING!

One question: I realize a big improvement on render time with path tracing, however I canā€™t reproduce the same speed up when using branch patch tracing. Is it normal? And if so, Have you got plant to optimize branch patch tracing as well?

Itā€™s very important with my work because my clients usually want an interior scene with so many light source and I need to use ā€œSample all direct lightsā€ feature.

Thanks for your great work again! It helps me so much!

Is there anything special needed to get this to start going? I unzipped the Feb 2.8 version and opened blender and changed it to cycles experimental. I do see the Auto Tiles checkbox so that is activated. I donā€™t have any speed increase at all. Iā€™m sure i did something wrong, please let me know :slight_smile:

PS: I am running windows 10, 7 1080Ti cards.

Hi and welcome on board :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback, Branched Path Tracing indeed gets less speedup at the moment. There is room for improvement and Iā€™m already working on it, itā€™s just you are the first one using BPT, so I didnā€™t prioritize it until now.
Itā€™s detailed in the FAQ, but I made it more obvious that the current biggest speedup is with regular path tracing in the first post.

Iā€™m happy if it helps you :slight_smile:

Do you mean you have 7 x 1080 Ti on windows 10 or you tried both windows 7 and 10?
Normally itā€™s just hit ā€œrenderā€ and you get the speedup, no need for experimental or whatever. Always use the latest version (currently itā€™s the v20190221). If you still have problems, you can send me some logs, system information and/or a file per PM to reproduce the bug.

Yeah 7x1080Ti on Windows 10. Well my apologies, I looked through the thread and saw the viewport enhancements are only coming in 4 days. When I used the actual f12 render the results were 37 seconds instead of the default 45 in a completely unoptimized random scene. Great work man. Iā€™ll keep doing more tests but glad to know its all setup right :slight_smile:

There is no real speed up if there are more than three cards connected on the same motherboard. Itā€™s bandwidth limited.

Oh my, I would like such a setup :smiley: Glad to hear it works in such configurations, I would have expected the overhead of syncing 7 cards to minimize the benefits a lot. Good news :slight_smile:

1 Like

updates coming soon.

1 Like

What are you talking about? Single workstation CPU has 44 (Intel) or 64 (AMD) PCIE lines. 2x CPU doubles the number of PCIE lines. Where is ā€˜bandwidth limitationā€™?

So now I have a solution to make mac builds too. To ensure the mac version make sens to maintain, would the Mac users be interested in a kickstarter campaign? I would then just add the mac version to the Gumroad page and give access to donators if itā€™s successful. But in this case, itā€™s more customer than donator, so not sure it fits kickstarter?

In my opinion it does not fit kickstarter. Iā€™m afraid the interest would be small. I can be wrong of course.

I feel the same. We can continue per PM.

The march update builds are coming soon, some details:

• it will clears the noise much faster than master
  • in a first time, itā€™s for normal path tracing with CUDA.
  • it was tested on professional quality optimized interiors you can see in the videos above
  • It is a very young feature, so it could also make you a coffee, bake a cake or make you win Loto instead of rendering (probability is very low however). If it does, give me a file to reproduce :wink:
  • the price of the monthly membership will increase at 14ā‚¬/month next week, it will only affect people joining starting next week, if you joined at 10ā‚¬ or even 5,99ā‚¬/month, it will stay like that.

Here is a comparison after 2sec of rendering with master (noisy, 64spp) and E-Cycles (much cleaner, 7spp):
E-Cycles%20march%20comp%20noise

And E-Cycles live viewports rendering different Evermotionā€™s scenes:

also working with lotā€™s of refraction bounces through water, glass, Subsurface Scattering, etc.

2 Likes

What about price of Perpetual license ?
What about denoiser in viewport ?
thanks