E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

Does E-Cycles not support Shadow-Catcher?

Hi Julio,
it does support shadow-catcher. But I just noticed it bugs when denoising is on. I’ll upload a fix asap.

1 Like

The mac 2.8 version is now also updated and has the quick settings panel and the latest AI denoiser. So all versions have the same UI now.
The new AI denoiser addon changelog as a reminder:

• it adds a new mix node to be able to tweak the quantity of grain for your artistic needs.
  • it works in many more cases with existing compositing node trees, file output beside composite output and many other setups.
  • it will generate the node tree for the active render layer node if any, so that you can quickly denoise the layer view you want.

Hello

i did some benchmarks again because i had weird results with the old bench i did, so here is a fresh benchmark. comparing all version from 22march, official,e-cycles beta, e-cycles official 22march release.

E-cycles e_cycles_2.8_beta downloaded 22march  
3:26    1665 2x 2080Ti
7:28    1665 SINGLE 2080Ti

E-cycles v20190322     
8:06     1618 2x 2080Ti
12:20    1618 SINGLE 2080Ti

22march official Build   
12:21    1650 SINGLE 2080Ti

so basically the build v20190322 is not gicing me any changes for me
i dont know if its normal or not

but well i read that you are working on a rtx build so maybe dont waist your time with this ?

i also tried the geforce creator ready driver and no differences with the 2x 2080 ti beta build

Hi,
it’s normal, only the beta version has a fix for the bug introduced by animation denoising (very slow denoising on multi-gpu). But it’s a very complex and hacky fix and Blender 2.8 changes way too fast to keep up, so the beta is only here to wait until the bug is properly fixed in master.

If you have a multi-GPU, I really recommend using 2.79 anyway. With 2x 2080Ti, E-Cycles and AI denoising, the preprocessing time start to be a significant part of the overall render time. E-Cycles 2.79x has an option specifically made for flythrough on top and has the fix for denoising with the latest updates as it’s much more stable. It’s also more efficient memory-wise, the UI is lighter, more responsive and allows maximal speed for final render.

The creator ready driver speedup chart is compared to driver 415. In fact, your old driver certainly had already all the improvements, so it’s normal you see no speedup going from 418.x to 419.67

Regarding RTX, I just started to work with my 2080TI I got from NVidia. The BMW scene already renders in 23,6 seconds with my dev branch :slight_smile:

3 Likes

All versions have been updated now with all the latest fixes and a lot of usability improvements to the AI denoiser addon and the possibility to adjust the strength.

On 4th of April (EST time), there will be some sales on Gumroad and I’ll participate :slight_smile:

1 Like

well you really deserve this 2080ti you do an absolute fantastic job!

1 Like

I’ve often found that Blender crashes when changing settings in a material. After a few changes, it hangs with update shaders.

Do you use the latest 20190322 version? If so and the problem persists, please provide a file (per PM or email if sensible) with the steps to reproduce the bug. By the way, the shadow catcher bug is fixed in the latest version.

1 Like

I used 20190315. Quick test with 20190322 = no problems so far. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A bug was already fixed. I recommend all 2.8 users to upgrade to v20190323.

I use 2.79 i need stable Blender for production.

2.79 is stable, the bug was only on 2.8 and is already fixed. Or did you find a bug ?

I am considering purchasing e ecyles before I purchase it what kind of speedup should I expect on an rx 480

Hello,
The speedup for OpenCL is much smaller (around 20% faster). So if only the path tracing speedup is important to you, unless you have 4 rx 480, I recommend to stay on buildbots. If you are interested in the AI denoiser, dithered sobol or the flythrough animation speedup (2.79 only), it may still make sens.

cool that’s still a decent improvement I also have a gtx 1060 would that have a better speedup?

The Cuda cards have most of the time a speedup between 1.7x and 2.6x (path tracing phase, the pre-processing depends on your CPU).
Using latest buildbots (so including the speedup from Stefan Werner and the cuda 10.1 kernels), the 1080Ti renders the BMW scene in 100,3 seconds and E-Cycles 2.79 renders it in 36,6 sec, so it’s 2,74x faster. All of that on Windows, Linux is a bit faster.
So for the 1060, it makes sens to use E-Cycles definitely.

wow that’s very impressive I will purchase the monthly option when I buy it will the updates last until the end of this month or 30 days from now

The monthly version is 2.8x E-Cycles and is a bit slower, so it takes 38sec for BMW = “only” 2,64x faster with the 1080Ti. You get 30 days of updates, so you can join any time. Also note that their will be sales on the 4th of April on Gumroad and I’ll participate. The option including all 2019 updates will be greatly reduced.