E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

That looks indeed impressive. The last time a friend of mine showed me the results, it looked blurry in some areas and with heavy high frequency “texturing” in some other areas, giving the impression of looking through a bad lens. Especially on renders with depth of fields were it would suddenly add sharp details in middle of an out of focus area.

Your example looks nearly like it’s rendered at that resolution (apart from the cafe machine buttons and some blur on the metallic parts. Your picture is at 60% zoom, so more like 2k to 4k and has everything in focus, which may explain the very good results. Nonetheless, very impressive, I might have another try at scaling AI later as their are some good open source ones.

The Linux builds of the 2.8x May update are now also available.

1 Like

No the Seed option is not active. If you want I can send you the blendfile. But i don´t know how to send you a PM. I have no option … it could be because my account is new?

You can send me an email by answering your Gumroad emails about E-Cycles. I’ll have a look if I can optimize such case. I’m wondering were the slight flickering comes from if neither the camera nor the seed are animated, so it will be definitely interesting to investigate.

Correct me if i am wrong but the mails from Gumroad comes from “[email protected]

This email can not receive email…

Here you can download the File.

Is there a roughness bug in the latest build? For me it seems so in the classroom scene.

Hmm, it seems a commit got lost indeed. It was a bug I fixed in the april version, will have a look asap. Thanks for the report.

Ich habe die Datei runter-geladen, danke. Obwohl es eine no-reply Adresse anzeigt, die Email wird an mich weitergeleitet. Auf jeden Fall hat das bis jetzt für alle funktioniert. Ich würde einfach probieren auf “antworten” zu klicken und gucken an welcher Adresse es geht/gehen würde.

do you want add Optix AI Denoiser to e-cycle?

You are allowed to do it as a user, but for to distribute the Optix denoiser with E-Cycles, it should be open sourced with a GPL-compatible license first. But the addon from remington graphics should work with E-Cycles.

Fixed in the latest version :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Has someone else tried to use AI Denoise with Volume Scatter? In my case, the denoiser always kills the fog. Do i have to add a seperate Volumepass in the rendersettings and combine it back in inside the compositor, or is there a better solution for this?

Level 1 and 2 may give better results with fog. With level 3, you can indeed activate the direct and indirect volume passes, then go to the add menu → filter → denoise. Combine the direct and indirect output of the volume pass with add menu → color → mix node in add mode. Feed the output of that add node to the denoise node and then add everything together. But volumes don’t have normals nor albedo, so the denoiser may overblur things. In this case, a mix node with the noisy volume image may help keep details (see second screenshot).

I still recommend to at least try the level 2 to see if the results are better.

2 Likes

Hi there@bliblubli
I think I remember that you were going to check persistent data for E-Cycles, am I correct?
Is it already implemented in E-Cycles?

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Juang,
yes, persistent data is implemented in the 2.79x version. The 2.8x version will get it when it’s stable enough code-wise.
Cheers!

Both E-Cycles 2.8x and 2.79x now have the May update. The new features so far on top of the usual improvements made in master are:

• Around 10% faster rendering for 2.8x and lower memory usage (ported from the 2.79x version which already had it since 3 months):

speed%20may%20update

memory%20usage%20May%20update

• Up to 2x faster denoising on multi-gpu setups when using the old denoiser (AI denoiser already was faster in this case). This is new on both 2.79x and 2.8x.

The builds are available for Windows, Linux and Mac.

Happy Blending :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Do you also plan some bigger features, like GI caching or similar solution to boost gi, or caustics etc?

I already worked on GI caching, when it will be ready for release is yet to be seen. I’m first working on making adaptive sampling ready for June for now and making tiled OIDN to allow denoising huge images with limited memory.

6 Likes

is your adaptive sampling going to be different form teh Stefan one?

:open_mouth: