E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

Hi @Mosaji ,

good to hear it brought you good time savings. 40% for GPU and 20% for CPU+GPU sound however like it should be more. Are you using Branched Path Tracing or using manual tile size? Did you try with the older 9xx builds?
Regarding the flickering, if it also happen in official 2.8, you can report it on developer.blender.org.

Regards,
mat

Edit: The 2.7x version will arrive soon for those having the year membership.

It seems there is a bottleneck in the tile manager (in official 2.8 too, but itā€™s more visible with E-Cycles), which limits perf on high end configurations (multi GPU or threadripper + GPU). In this case, it helps to minimize the blender window during render.

1 Like

The new weekly update is now available for Windows. Linux version comes soon. A lot of bugs were fixed in master, so itā€™s recommended to upgrade. On the E-Cycles side, the current feature set is now stable. So Iā€™m working on the next feature update and 2.79 version.

If U read my post, Sir, I didnt insulting anyone just ask how its possible to take an opensource code, change it and sell it - just that. On the other hand U wrote insults directly on me so I really doubt its somehow my rules.

OK, just leave that topic and focus on Your work here. If I understand it right U sell the e-cycles on monthly or yearly basis (donations) so I wanna ask ā€¦ if I decided to pay monthly there is some restriction I have to pay the whole year at least or? Mean is there a posibility to test Your work somehow (e-cycles) and decided if I want to use it and support it to use new and new builds every now and then or is it possible to just buy the newest build for good without future updates for using and decide later?

Sorry if this was already answered but its a bunch of comments here so maybe I missed it.

Sincerely, Jan

PS: Good to hear U R working on 2.79 cause Im still using it before official 2.8 STABLE.

You can take only one month if you want, you are completely free to stay as long as you want.
The 2.79x version will be for professionals, so it will be more expensive and only with the year variant (see here https://gumroad.com/l/MgFNh/). People who bought a year of support for 2.8 will have the 2.7x version for free. The offer was meant for beta testers, but I can extend it to people buying this Week-End.

empty empty
ffs

Thanks for the report, but please donā€™t post walls of text, otherwise it makes the thread huge. I need a file to reproduce. I didnā€™t touch the shader code since last week, actually as my code seem to be stable now, I just updated the master code. So I guess this error comes from a change in master. Anyway, either for the BF or for me, you need to create and submit a file for devs to debug. If hunting the bug is too much work, you can use the old build.
Maintaining 4 builds (2 versions on 2 OS) is a lot of work, it only makes sens for me to do it if people take at least the full year.

I did a test with a 2-rtx 2070 with latest update of E-Cycles.

BMW scene:
denoiser+auto tile: 41.04.
denoiser+256x256 tile: 31:42.

Chocofur interior scene 10 (100%):
denoiser+auto tile: 6.12.19.
denoiser+256x256 tile: 4:02.86.

Test with a single 1-rtx 2070 with latest update of E-Cycles.

BMW scene:
denoiser+auto tile: 0:56.64.
denoiser+256x256 tile: 0:57.72.

Chocofur interior scene 10 (50%):
denoiser+auto tile: 2:23.11.
denoiser+256x256 tile: 2:12.95.

So the auto tile is still a lot slower with denoiser using multi-GPU like my 2x rtx 2070.

The auto tile with denoiser using single-GPU compare with a 256x256 tiles results are close. In more complex scenes the larger tile is still little faster.

So it definitely looks like multi-GPU denoiser with small tiles is a problem/bug in Cycles.

Thanks for the study. I could make auto tile size to take bigger tiles in the case of multi-gpu with denoising, but that would make the registry trick mandatory for everyone. I prefer to get the bug fixed properly. In the mean time, user can decide if they take manual tile size + registry trick (faster, but a work around to a bug) or auto tile size.

Ok, so whats the easiest way possible to test e-cycles and decide if buy or not (no matter if 2.7x or 2.8) - I wanna to test the speed and decide after mate.

Sincerely, Jan

PS: That speed-up is only on CUDA or also on CPUs?

The speedup is only for CUDA now. A lot of testimonials show that it works, so other made the trial so to say. Of course, itā€™s your choice to trust all those people or not.

What the artists say:

Flavio Della Tommasa ā€œObviously in terms of performance I believe the data speak for themselves. On 8 images, 2h each, I lost a day of calculation. With E-Cycles, in just over 2 hours I solved everything.ā€ E-Cycles - Faster cuda rendering

ā€œImpressive speed-upsā€, ā€œsupport is good, all issues (specific to E-Cycles build) I have found and reported were quickly fixedā€ E-Cycles - Faster cuda rendering

ā€œThe Speedup is amazingā€ E-Cycles - Faster cuda rendering

ā€œ91s to 45s with a RTX 2070ā€ E-Cycles - Faster cuda rendering

ā€œ3m:09s to 1m:42s, needless to say, Iā€™m impressed!ā€ E-Cycles - Faster cuda rendering

About me:

I work on Cycles since 2015 (my first patch here https://developer.blender.org/D1530) and already have several patches in official Blender. All the improvements from E-Cycles will be submitted to be added to the official Blender version after a year.

2 Likes

So the 2.79x version is up https://gumroad.com/l/SeYhy/z04d84b. This version is meant for professionals.

• It has all the benefits of the 2.8x variant, which is included, plus
  • it has an option to get the exact same output as master, with still 1.7x faster rendering compared to master.
  • It is build on the stable 2.79.x version
  • If you buy it this week, you can even get one build based on a branch of your choice (like 2.79b or Fracture modifier)

Yep, I only wanna know the ā€œcheapestā€ possible testing available, cause 160+EUR is much for me cause I use Blender only for a hobby Ya know? Im wondering if there is a way for example to test the 2.8 build (any e-cycles) for lets say 10EUR and decide when I found out how it speeds-up on my system mate.

I want to test it on my scenes and who knows, maybe I will buy that 2.7x after thatā€¦

Sincerely, Jan

Yes, even less than 9ā‚¬/month here https://gumroad.com/l/vkTeQ/66cx403

PM You mate (imo better)ā€¦

Hi, thanks for all your time invested in making Cycles better. I signed up for a month of your 10 Euro version to take a look and play with it. I was able to download the Release just fine, but can you tell me where I can download the source code? I did not see a link on the Gumroad product page.

Ouch, somehow missed that I could take only one month of subscribe and test so OK - THX!

Hi Pixelfox,

Give me your gumroad email so that I can send you a link. But you can also do the course to understand how it works, I even give more tricks there and one students managed to get 30% better than E-Cycles in some scene and for his hardware :slight_smile: And you also learn how to get new modifiers a better UI, etc.

https://gumroad.com/l/ecycle/kn67150

Please consider making the 2.79 version available as a monthly product as well.
Iā€™m a full time architect but use rendering sporadically, I believe this pattern of use applies to many professionals like me, who make different use and have different needs than graphic artists (full time)

2 Likes

Yep, will be also better for hobbyist like me mateā€¦

@bliblubli: Did U get my PM?