E-Cycles - The fastest render engine for Blender. 3.2 release available now!

Hi!

I started using e-cycles a couple days ago, and it’s impressive! Managed to lower render times from 4h to 1h30h (not same settings, just same perceptual quality)

One problem I have though, I don’t quite understand how to lower memory usage with the AI denoiser. I rendered a 360 image, 8000x4000 in size, the denoiser in preset 3 used more than 48gb (16 ram + 32 swap) which crashed blender, both normally and with the low mem checked. I also rendered to a multi layer exr first and used the compositor in a default new blender file with the same result.

I managed to denoise the exr at quality 2 and it used around 47gb :sweat_smile:

So, a few questions:
¿I’m doing something wrong?¿A bug?
¿What does the “low mem” checkbox? My guess is that it disables the compositing after render to allow blender to release memory before. Does it anything else?
¿What does the “Prepare low mem denoise” button do? I understand that sets the cpu threads to fixed 1 to lower memory usage in compositing, again, does it anything else?
I see that the setting 3 uses in fact the denoiser in several steps, one for diffuse, one for glossy, etc. ¿Is it possible to render the diffuse part, save it to exr, repeat for each part and merge them in a last step to avoid blowing the ram?

2 Likes

Any news on having real time viewport dénoiser ? Ether with intel or nvidia ?

3 Likes

Patience :slight_smile: I first make sure final 2.80 is stable as possible.

3 Likes

Here is a render of a kitchen and the living room. The vegetation outside is from Andrew Prices Poliigon texture site. For the living room I am reluctant to change the render settings as I believe it will change the lighting too much. The kitchen looks a little washed out and too bright. In both renders the glass in the windows is disabled to stop reflections of windows across the room. The Archipack addon has a feature to disable the glass and add area light portals. What settings do you suggest I adjust especially for the kitchen and maybe the living room? Thanks

EDIT: In this bottom render I turned the World down to 50 Watts. EDIT: The three chairs on the right in the living room are credited to Kanzel Misel. They can be found on Gumroad. The rest of the furniture and appliances except for the fridge are from Chocofur. The EG dishwasher is from 3dsky.

Mathieu:

sorry for being such a noobie but how/where do i download the latest update, rc1a?

i have been very impressed with the speed increases from e-cycles…it really covers up for some of my noob inefficiencies/mistakes… :slight_smile:

great piece of software…thank you…

Bill Macdonald

my order information fyi is:

Date
April 4th, 2019
Order number

personal information removed by moderator

It has great potential, but indeed the lightning could be improved. I hope someone else can give advices here as I’m very busy right now. When E-Cycles 2.80 final is released, I’m glad to also do artists support also there are more competent people than me for that here :smiley:
For the technical part, did you watch the tutorial? It shows step by step how to use presets, tweak values in the quick settings panel, etc.

Hi Bill,

you’re welcome. I’m happy if you are happy :slight_smile:
In your Gumroad library, click on the E-Cycles image, then I think you have a button “download” or “show” on the top right? There, you can download the latest RC1a for your platform.

Regards,
Mathieu

Those were my thoughts that someone else might be able to provide advice. My intention was not to burden you bliblubli. I will watch both videos again and then make some changes to the kitchen render as I think it is way too bright. Currently my world is set at 250w and can probably be turned down to 100 or 50 for the kitchen. And then I will try the adjustments recommended in the videos. Thanks

1 Like

Hi, may you can upload a reduced .blend for other users to test and help you.
Something like delete all interieur and leave walls and lights only.

Cheers, mib

3 Likes

2048 samples for this rendering.
1 GPU = 6 minutes 24 seconds.
2 GPU = 3 minutes 25 seconds.

Nearly 2x performance increase on this scene just adding another GPU. I’m aware this isn’t typical for most scene.

BTW is there a way to reduce the noise(besides increasing the samples)? I have some fireflies by the window(clamping can fix that), but improving the noise quality I’m not so sure. :neutral_face:

Also what kind of performance should be expected with CUDA boost ON? With DCH Drivers I only saw 1 second less in render time.

2 Likes

You should definitely denoise your image (add a denoise node in the compositing). 2048 samples is a lot, you should be able to reduce that dramatically.
Denoise should remove the fireflies as well.

2 Likes

How or where can I get it? Does it cost anything? Is there a video to learn and watch? Where are the 2.8 RC benchmarks? Thanks!!

Hi, all info is in first post of thread, benchmarks of 2.8 RC1 are a few posts above.

Cheers, mib

I’m actually using the default Cycle denoiser for that render, haven’t tried the AI denoiser yet ,maybe I should. 2048 sample is alot indeed, though it does look good with 512 sample there is still noise by the left wall and door area.

Hi,
you can get E-Cycles on Gumroad (here for 2.7x) or the Blender Market. For the Benchmark, I’ll try to update them soon. For Windows, there are already a lot of them available. On Linux E-Cycles is as fast, but Blender is faster on Linux, so the difference is smaller as @mib2berlin showed (generally 20% difference iirc).

Boostclock.com did several benchmarks and a cool animaiton to show the speed out of the box in E-Cycles compared to blender and also the benefit of using a preset.

original post here https://twitter.com/boost_clock/status/1129453044402401281

With Cuda Boost on my Scene went from

8 min 16 sec to
8 min 10 sec.

1 Like

I personally never got good results from Cycles denoiser, only a lot of smudges and highlight artifacts. Try the OIDN, it’s like magic.

1 Like

Hey @bliblubli the latest release, the one from yesterday (or today, I don’t rememeber XD, the RC1a, also de RC1 ) is not working on Linux (Mint latest version) it gives a segment violation (generated core) error, just so you know :slight_smile:

Do you have a Ryzen? If so, it’s a known bug, there is a special version for Ryzen, it will be updated for the final release.
If it happens on Intel, I’ll have a look asap.

nono, it’s a threadripper :slight_smile: so it must be that bug
Is there a previous version for it that I can download in the Blender Market?

Cheers