Easy problem? Principled BSDF background not transparent

This feels like it should be so basic, and yet I’m having difficulty. I’m trying to create a glass material where I can see through an object using Principled BSDF. I’ve enabled refraction in the render and material settings, so I see objects behind it just fine.

However, the background for some reason shows the environment map instead of an empty background and I can’t figure out how to make it transparent. I’ve enabled “Transparent” under “Film” in render settings.

I know this must be possible because it’s clearly transparent in this tutorial:

If someone can point me in the right direction, I’d appreciate it.

Test file:
NotTransparent.blend (772.8 KB)

I think that the problem also exists in the tutorial, it just happens that this is minimized by the material nodes configuration using Transparent BSDF and Blend Mode in material.
NotTransparent_mod.blend (836.3 KB)

Transparency with pure refraction and Film > Transparent does not seem to be possible.
Perhaps you could better discuss this in Devtalk forum.

Edit:
Interesting, the same thing happens in Cycles.

Ok…really simple solution… ( after I spent days working on basic thing myself )
Let me state what you want…Transparent Window - Transparent Background - You want window to Refract Image also?

What you want will not work untill you go into Render View…Not LookDev
I looked at your blend…you already have background transparency On…
If you take and select the window and under settings where you turn on Screen Space Refractions…Under Blend Mode>
1> AlphaBlend with SPR will give you transparent window ( see monkey) but NOT Transparent Window to Background…reflections and SPR makes it seem opaque.
2> Additive will give you Reflections > Transparent ( see monkey) and see Background with NO HDRI

Note: ( this setting is avail in Cycles as well)
Not full RENDER…Screen Render >eevee

I think there have been some changes in blend modes since 2.81. Could you check?
(In fact I am not sure why the reason for these changes)

You are absolutely right… Have to change my workFlow when I move over to 2.81 completely…

In 2.81…for the same results as above post…You have to include a transparency shader…and Alpha Blend…( this would not work in 2.80 as it would not allow transparency to see the transparency of a second transparent object behind the first…it would make the second vanish where it was behind the first…when using a Trans Shader with a Glossy Shader and did not want to use a Glass shader in Eevee It also caused problems with Hair Strands when Alpha Channel not present. ) At least for Eevee, it does work now!

The same thing just added a transparency shader…with Alpha Blend…

Looks different as I didn’t add a material to monkey …I forgot)

@YAFU Thanks for catching this!

I think it s possible to exclude the background reflection on the world shader. Using light path info in shader editor. Like when you use "is camera ray as a mix factor between environement map and simple background colour. Something like is reflection ray… I don’t remember…
You can find an example of the shader in the world shader of this file

I actually thought he wanted reflections, but not the world background in the render…

That file just uses Transparency Shaders and Alpha Blend and LightPath is Camer Path…my old standard for HDRI and solid background…

I’m realizing I don’t need refraction to make what I need (thought would’ve been nice). So I’m able to get away with using a mix of Glossy and Transparent BSDFs.

Yeah, that’s weird. I feel like it’s such a basic expectation… I don’t understand why this doesn’t just work. Thanks for trying with the Transparent BSDF!

Could you provide a .blend for your solution? I’m a little lost, haha.

SeeMonkey.blend (1009.7 KB) Here you Go…

You will have to add an HDRI as all mine made it too big to upload…

I just checked and if use LookDev mode it gives you the same results now in 2.81…and you can use the internal HDRI’s… used to not work in 2.8

I just realized that for Principled BSDF you don’t need to mix with Transparent BSDF. Just use Alpha slider in Principled BSDF (You still need to configure blend mode)

1 Like