Easy Rigging in Blender...

So, what exactly do you mean by this? The bendy bones twist just fine as far as I know. Is there something I’m missing?

@Looch, Yes, this is exactly the kind of stuff I was interested in. Great job on the shorts. I saw them just recently (on the modo forums of all places) I loved them. So, I’m I correct in assuming you went to Pepe land school?

hey @Indy_logic,

Thank you for the kind words!.. modo forums??, really?, that’s cool… if you have a link send it my way and send my love to the people over there =).
I just finished the MAN course at pepeland, and in september I’ll start with the demoreel course!, I’m super excited, in the mean time in august i’ll be in Czech Republic at the Anomalia Lab II and III, and i’ll keep freelancing =).

@Indy_logic I mean splineIK not bbones. Twisting a bone chain with a splineIK constraint is difficult.

Good job! they look pretty good the shorts :slight_smile:

thank you erickBlender =)

Has the easyrig script /addon . been released yet ?

It’s my understanding that it’s more an initiative of sorts. It’s meant to shape development of the rigging system to make it easier to use. The new additions to the Bendy bones are an example of this. It’s main goal is for animators to be able to make their own rigs that are simple yet robust enough to make their own short films.

Hey great ! would you mind sharing a test rig so we can study it a bit ? That would be very interesting …

About bone count , it’s more fair to compare with exactly the same features. Like how you can reduce bone count and rig simpler/faster without loosing functionalities . With rigify there is many bones added that could have been skipped (like ORG bones) ,or the fact that there is a clear distinction between deform bones and controllers, but because it’s an auto rig IMO it’s not that important. I agree that doing the same thing for a simple rig would be a waste.

With this simple rig of yours , how do you handle these different scenarios :
-1 parent the hands to the hips and walk

-2 parent the hands to a static object (like he is pushing a wall )

-3 parent the hands to a props and make the character walk (like he is doing kung fu with a staff in the hands)

Would that be possible to setup only with constraints ? would that be possible in the same shot ?

Thanks for all the info Looch, it would be cool if there was a rig to take a part and examine. 95 bones is not too bad, The new no face Rigify rig is about 431 bones, I don’t have an old version of the Rigify rig before the rubber hose and squash and stretchy features where added but it would be interesting to compare this rig with the old and new Rigify rigs.

Is there a less strict separation between deformation and control bones in this rig, I am trying to figure out where the reduction in bone count is coming from

Is this rug available to download anywhere? Or any tutorials on it?

@Looch I could really use a more detailed explanation of this process, too. Looks really nice but I haven’t found anything more than a very, very general overview that, as a beginner with Blender, leaves me with more questions than answers. Can anyone point us down the right path?

1 Like