Easy Workaround for creating cords, hoses from edges?????

In Hexagon, youll see how I draw a line and then add thickness to the line kind of like Solidify Modifier in Blender. Any idea of a way to do this in Blender. The attached jpgs are an example in Hexagon 3D. Switching from Hexagon to Blender which is way more stable and a complete 3D package. A cool feature in hexagon though, draw out a line, addthickness, choose the size and how many faces around. I wish Blender had a script for that…

Attachments

Two ways to do it.

1). Add a curve object, add another closed curve object, and set the open curve’s bevel object to be the closed curve (which will give it a volume).
2). Model a line of vertices and add a skin modifier (this will enclose the edges in a mesh cage and thus give it a volume, it also works with branching edges as well).

In addition, there is a more manually-based third way, essentially you would create a wireframe box, add a subsurf modifier, and then use the quick-extrude tool to quickly create segments based on the location of the mouse. (I believe the hotkey is Shift-E)

1). Add a curve object, add another closed curve object, and set the open curve’s bevel object to be the closed curve (which will give it a volume).
Or add a curve, set the Fill to ‘Full’.
Set the Bevel Depth for the size of the cross section and Bevel Resolution to change the no. of sides. With them being curves you can set separate resolution for the viewport and at render time, and add hooks to the control points to be animated

You can also scale each control point (Alt+S) to change the size of the cross section along the curve

Thanx People. I will study your methods…

And for effect, you can add a closed curve and in edit mode, make duplicated of that curve and position to make a bundle of cords that follow the same curve path. You can also edit the points of the curve objects to give a more mechanical feel.

OK with this skin modifier, is there any way to change the thickness of this skin ahead of time or do I have to manually edit each vertice?

Not that I know of, but you can always select all vertices and ctrl+a to scale them.

Also, hasn’t been mentioned that you can convert an edge (loop) to a curve and then use curve tools and properties to get your cord. Alt+C in object mode to convert.