Edge loops

These questions will sound very noob-like (i’m a noob to blender).
1.What are edge loops?
2.Why are they so important?
3.How to “make/create” them?
4.(Connected with the 2nd) Why do they exist?

Thanks for help!

Oh, I’m really sorry, wrong forum… Can moderators move it to the Blender General forum, please?

sure…did it!

welcome to Blender world!

:wink:

I think this is far enough back into the archive to justify republication of the original questions.

It seems that people are making custom meshes using edge loops.
Now, if only one of them could give some hint as to how they are created in the first place, or link to a post/tutorial that gives this information, I would appreciate it.

follow the link to the modelling thread in my signature or do a search for torqs head modelling tutorial.

http://p212.ezboard.com/fnendowingsmiraifrm3.showMessage?topicID=135.topic

%<

Thanks … bookmarked.
Am I correct in thinking that “edge loops” are always created from other objects, rather than having any construction method of their own? I.e. Forget about drawing segmented curves.

I will have to re-read the threads to be sure, but it seems that there are some problems…

1. In Blender 2.28c, Ctl+R = R = Rotate. Loop cuts don’t seem to exist.
    Ctl+LMB = LMB = gestures for S and R.

2. I can find no evidence that Blender has anything to do with edge loops, beyond my ability to imagine them. There is no such thing from Blender’s POV.

I think my version may be too old, dangnabbit!
[edit: I’ve just been reviewing the changelogs. Oh yeah, I’m way behind.]

heeey, that post on that other forum was quite interesting! helped me a lot as well!! :smiley:

Am I correct in thinking that “edge loops” are always created from other objects, rather than having any construction method of their own? I.e. Forget about drawing segmented curves.

No
An edgeloop is a continuous loop of edges (and here’s the rub) that define the shape or shape/volume of either the object as a whole or significant geometry within the object.
Laymans terms: for all models, but more especially for those that will be animated, some basic shape should exist that defines the volume and shape of the model. Therefore, this main grid of edges should not be made of loops that begin and end in odd places, branch out in forks or run into T-junctions. In the example of the lightbulb, if you leave the edgeloops as they are and change the geometry in between you still end up with a light bulb shape, however, if you do the opposite and change the shape of the edgeloops (not just scale) you then no longer have the shape of a light bulb.
Think of edgeloops as the spines of an umbrella and the rest of the geometry as the fabric. Open or closed the edgeloops define the shape and volume. And you can use other objects (primitives like a UV sphere) to get your edgeloops, but mostly you’ll end up making your own (depends on your modelling technique and skill though).

1. I can find no evidence that Blender has anything to do with edge loops, beyond my ability to imagine them. There is no such thing from Blender’s POV.

Like I said, the UV Sphere has edgeloops but the Icosphere has Ringloops like the Cube. For mech models, architecture etc edgeloops are not an essential but will be along all the corners and bends and main edges of the model (that will usually end up being bevelled). But in Organic models (things Blender doesn’t have primitives for [spacebar >> Mesh >> Nose… LOL], you draw out your own edgeloops. Look in my sig for Torq’s face tut and see how he goes about constructing the lips and eyes and why he does it that way

%<

The tutorial is here:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21066