Edge Smoothing

Hello,
I am modeling an envelope and I am having trouble getting the edge of the tab smooth. I’ve tried creating a number of vertex groups while applying a smooth modifier,but the edge is not reacting as I would like it to. It may not even be possible to do this, but after looking through many of the related posts I haven’t found a solution.
It may be that I am going about this the wrong way. I’d be grateful for any help.

Thanks

Bin

Attachments

envelope.blend (160 KB)

Making the blend now

I made the edges a different mesh, added subsurf scaled up and made it look good, joined the meshes back together and it is smooth! :smiley: Now how do I upload the blend?

Here it is
You might want to clean a bit of it up but it was a quick job

Attachments

envelope.blend (167 KB)

BlendFace,
thanks for you quick reply. You composite object is a very straight forward solution. Since it is a single faced edge I think that I will also try a transparency map there to see if it holds up.

Bin

Attachments

Wait are you thanking me and saying you will keep it or will you throw the envelop away!?

Would it not be far easier and more precise to use curves? If I model something similar, I start up a vector drawing package (Inkscape, Illustrator, XaraX, etc.). draw the outlines of all the parts and import those in Blender. Or you could use the curve tools in Blender to draw the outlines of each part. That way you do not have to worry about the polygons, and you’ll be able to focus on the shapes. When you are done with the curves, conversion to polygons is the last step.

Just my 21/2 cents.

BlendFace,
yes, of course I do very much appreciate your help and thanks again. What I am in search of is a method that will work under a number of conditions : unwrapping, deformations, sss materials. I realize that I’d not metioned this ealier, but I am not certain that a composite mesh will hold up if driven by a deforming cage.

Herbert123 ,
thanks for the suggestion of using curves. I haven’t used them much, but will look into.

Bin

Yeh what you can do is just select the curve you want. Then join it to the mesh and fill it so it looks like a curve :smiley:

BlendFace,
thanks again for your help. I have taken both yours and Herbert123 advice and attempted to join a curve to a mesh, but I am afraid I might have took this too literally, because it didn’t quite work.It may in fact be that I should be first creating the shape with curves and then converting to a mesh before attempting to join the two parts.
http://blenderartists.org/forum/images/attach/blend.gif envelope2.blend : was my try and joining a curve to a mesh, objects of different types and it didn’t work.
envelope3.blend : was with the use of hooks. I joined both objects to an empty. There is a uv texture option in the role out, but I couldn’t figure out how to unwrap the composite object.

I am not that familiar with curves and could not find reference to directly join two different object types. I am sorry to ask this; you’ve both been very helpful, but is the joining of two different object types possible?

Thanks

Bin

Attachments

envelope2.blend (185 KB)envelope3.blend (189 KB)

Small update.

I found the median Crease option for weighted creases under transform properties. Unfortunately, I will not have the time to test it out, but I think it what I’ve been looking for. Thanks yet again for the help and advice both of you have given. I’ll post the final solution here soon.

Bin