[EDIT] aussie blenderers : where we are from web page

Another Adelaidean…

I’d vote for a meet in Canberra. It’s reasonably central (like, no more than a couple of days drive from most places), and you can get Coopers beer… (=

yeah if we have a blender meet it needs to be somewhere we can get coopers

Sorry guys!

I’ve made a quick mockup of the site just to get an idea of what it will look like and how it will run. I was going to polish it off when I get hosting.

I emailed Shibbydude about getting hosting at Reblended.com, which was where I was planning to have it hosted, but he has yet to respond so I just happened to drop by here to tell you guys.

I’ve PMed Timmo (check your messages Tim) to see if that hosting will be appropriate.

You shall hear more soon.

Hey timmo. I’m from the sunshine coast, just north of briz (about an hour). Seems like we’re the only ones around here (I’m sure there’s others).

ATMantis - Sounds sweet dude, thanx! :slight_smile:

kane and the rest of you Cooper obsessed blenders, I’m too young to have beer sigh Give me 4 years lol (It’s 18 when u can legally drink right? I don’t know this stuff lol)

Anyway, I think this could really be building up to something, at least it seems to be organising as so lol…

Just doing what I can to help :wink:

Anyway, heres the score. Before I finalise the site and find sufficient hosting, I need to know a few things, and to keep you in the loop I’ll post what me and timmo have talked about, it also has some details about the site I was planning…

First email by me to timmo

"Few questions about hosting:

1. How much space is there? For event organising, where we will probably want to be setting up a forum, we’ll very quickly use up a substantual amount of room. Of course, there are free forums hosted by other sites which we could get to cover the forum, although we won’t have much control over it.

2. What serverside scripts does it support (eg PHP, ASP, Perl ETC…)?

3. We’ll probably be wanting to update it regularly, perhaps even on a daily basis. As, I assume, your going to be the only one who’ll be able to access the server directly, do you really want to be spending your free time uploading and shifting around files on the server?

The site I have in mind is one with a login system, galleries, forums and easy member finding system, as well as an area for organising events. Users will also be able to write tutorials and upload demo files.

Such a site requires a certain type of hosting. I could always just make a none interactive HTML site where people send me the stuff they want on the site, I add it to the code, and then you upload it. This will be fine, but it only works if we have a small group of people contributing, and I think it would become more of a site for an Australian Blender Team, rather then a site for all Australian Blender users."

timmos reply

"I definitely see your point about all this…what sought of size are we looking at? as in meg wise? ultimately if it comes down to it i can set up new admin accounts so that ppl other than me have access to the server. im not really sure the extent of use we are going to get out of an aussie site though cause i mean there will always be elysiun and there are obviously not a huge number of aussie users. i think that it is a good idea but we really need to check the viability of something like this before we go ahead and sought it out. as far as scripting goes my server can handle asp, php, perl, cgi among other things but they are the major ones i can think of…i guess it all comes down to workload really…if you can get it hosted at reblended then chances are it would be easier to set up…if this is the path you decide to go down than i would be happy to help out with maintaining the site or whatever you need.

-timmo"

To which I replied

"The size requirements really depends on what the end site will be, and how much it will be used, after all maybe we don’t need fancing logins and a forum with only a small group of Aussies.

To find out that stuff perhaps we should talk to the other Australian Blender users and see what they think. After all, this site will be theirs, as well."

And so their you are, your all up to date, unless someone else has been plotting behind our backs :slight_smile:

And Smerity, your never to young to drink beer! Whether its legal for anyone to give it to you is another matter- Not that I encourage you to drink of course :wink:

I think the sight should start out with a very simple layout. I think a basic forum is necisary, doesn’t need to have variouse catagories or anything. And a very simple gallery would be nice. Just some thumbs on a page and a description with the image when it is opened. This could be done through a group of admins picking images they like from the forum. This along with a very simple clean layout would be enough for the limmited community we have. Further more, if the sight takes of and we get a few users than, then it would need to grow with its user base.

Anyway, thats my 5c.

Oh yeah, I would be happy to help with Design, but I can’t say I’m very good at web programing. I know html, but thats about it…

i tend to agree…while a nice complex site is all well and good when it comes down to it there is only a limited user base of australans and keeping track of and and moderating it will become a difficult job. i think that a small site with a simple design is best to start with, from there if we get a good response then maybe we can extend the site.

ATMantis : when you have finished the layout can i have a look and maybe we could temporarily post just a basic page somewhere so that we can see the response to the layout, also did you get hold of the guys at reblended?

any suggestions guys cause this will be your site so lets start them flowing in, also do you think that we should have an official logo? maybe we can get entries and vote…just a a suggestion…

-timmo

Place holder :wink:

Indeed, like me for instance. I’m from Brisbane. :smiley:

yay there are actually brisbanites around here…so guys now that we have a general idea of who around here is acutally from oz and where what are we gonna do?

I am a South African in Auckland and I can sing Waltzing Matilda - does that count? 8)

Melbourne…ok I’m a bit late :wink:

WA…perth

jeez, there are a lot of ppl from adelaide for the amount of people that live there. (i’m adelaide too)
I’m not sure my parents would like the idea of me flying to canberra, but i’ll keep interested anyway.

Palitu!

I’m from PErth!!

YAY! more perthy’s! getting the firework banned!..

hey how are all us aussies going?

ATMantis; have you done anything about that site you were thinking of making?

oh alomost forgot.

BUMP
:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Me in Canberra, yah!

Heh. ANU if you want a specific pinpoint.

I’m from Melbourne…

I think there is a place in Melbourne/Sydney (computer grapics lectures) that discuss Blender, I can recall coming across it somewhere on the net.

that wound be great if you could find the web page, or address to that place

im going over to melbourne soonish, and ild like to check that place out.