Edit Linked Library

Thanks, i downloaded newest version from graphicall and works fine now, i just expexted it to be in 2.65 since Jonathan Wiliamson mentioned it will be in 2.63 if i remember correct so i was a little down when i couldn’t find it…tnx anyway.

Hey man, does it have an option for importing linked file?.. sometimes i’ve needed to do something similar to do minor shading tweaks and stuff for a single shot, and there is no way i’ve found to do this it’d be great
CHeers, and thanks for thinking about workflow!

Time saver addon, it is great!
I also vote for including it in trunk.

Thanks a lot

I have not added that feature to this add-on. However, it is already built into Blender. Do a search for Make Local.

Committed some updates to this add-on in SVN (also had some notable contributions from Pablo Vazquez and Bassam Kurdali). The add-on now features the ability to launch a separate instance of Blender (instead of opening the linked .blend file in the same Blender instance). It also has a bit of code fixes and clean-up to match some Blender add-on best practices (thanks to a code review from Campbell Barton).

With any luck, there’s a small chance that this might be included as an official add-on at some point (here’s to hoping!)

I hope this script gets in as well. When I need it, it is a huge time saver. Cheers for the updates.

Thanks for the updates Fweeb! I still use this almost daily.

(Pssst… it’s in trunk now) :smiley:

Wahoo! That’s great news.

Tada! Well done, and congrats.

Hi,
I’m french so I apologize for my english but I tried to install addon edit linked library but I can’t find it. And I don’t manage to downloade it from wiki. Please can you help me ??

Just in case anyone else runs into this… if you’re using Blender 2.67b or earlier, Edit Linked Library is still considered a third-party add-on, so you’ll need to download it and install it separately. Installation from the wiki page is pretty straight forward: Download the add-on by right-clicking the link from the wiki and choose “Save Link As” (assuming you’re using Firefox or similar). That will save the .py file to your Downloads folder (or where ever you designate). Then you should be able to install the add-on from within Blender like you would any third-party add-on (since it’s still technically 3rd party until 2.68).

Fortunately, a release candidate for 2.68 is due out today[-ish], so if you’re using that release candidate or running a buildbot build, you shouldn’t have to do any of this at all.

I noticed, once I make a proxy of a linked library, the addon doesnt recognise it as being linked even though the object clearly is, since i can modify the file and the linked object will be updated.
Did I miss something or am I mis understanding?

The proxy is technically an object that’s local to the scene. However, it certainly would be useful if Edit Linked Library would pass through the proxy and see the original linked library. I’ll add that to the to-do.

Awesome addon is awesome =)

I’ll keep an eye on this addon! I can see it being super useful. At the moment the only thing stopping me is that I want to be able to move the linked objects and I cant seem to be able to do that without making them proxies. and doing that doesnt work with the addon.

I’ll second that! Great addon very well done, but without proxies is a bit limited. Can’t wait if you can incorporate proxified objects. Yay!

Just committed an update that adds support for proxy objects (thanks to a patch submitted by michax). It should ship with trunk, but if you want to test it ahead of time, I’d certainly appreciate it. You can get current version (0.8.0) of the script here.

That’s nothing short of wonderful. I will try and test this for you if I have the time.

Wasn’t expecting it THAT quickly! Beautiful. I’m working on a bigger project now with (as much as possible) linked assets, so will test it out now. Thanks so much.

QUICK FOLLOW UP:
Does what it says on the box! I’ve been to-ing and fro-ing between proxied assets for a day or so now and it’s brilliant. Makes linking work!

If only I could access shape key sliders in linked/proxy assets now, life would be complete :slight_smile: There’s a new challenge for you if you need one. Many thanks again!!