Editable Motion Trails 3D

I haven’t seen any documentation on it and I just looked for a bit. If I find anything I’ll post it here.

1 Like

Very very impressive.

Thanks! The next update adds support for offsetting controls. It’ll be released after I fix a few bugs.

offset1

2 Likes

offset4_good

Trails can now be offsetted to tracker points. This is intended to help with in-place or dense rotation keys. Since rotation controls double as time controls, to prevent accidental retiming select to hide the time controls. When shown, the addon will treat rotation control location offsets as a retiming op.

If anyone has anymore feature requests, let me know. If you like what I’m doing, let others know too! Maybe they’ll have ideas on new features to add. For now, I’ll focus more on some other animation related addons I’ve been working on. I’ll be posting GIFs of them occasionally on twitter https://twitter.com/wbmoss2

5 Likes

Finally published the addon on Blender Market!

4 Likes

Nice! Is there also a tool to smooth the animation curves between selected points?

Do you mean this case? Are you talking about increasing the sample point resolution? There’s currently no support to do so. The sample points are one per frame. I can add support if that’s what you’re looking for.

1 Like

Thanks. I meant smoothing of the f-curve motion between selected points. Like the Simplify Curves tool, but without removing points, just smoothing the animation paths to create a more fluid motion.

If you can describe some concrete use cases, I’ll consider looking into it. The case I’m imagining right now is dense keys but then the solution is to delete what’s not needed. That said…

prop editting

I never tried this before but it looks like proportional editting works. Honestly, I didn’t expect it to. Is this what you meant?

4 Likes

Yes, interesting! Would be a great addition, thanks!

1 Like

lol, it already works. Awesome. :slight_smile:

reminds me pretty much on this siggraph paper

What do you people think?

5 Likes

I’ve seen that and I’m always confused because isn’t it any normal motion trail tool with extra IK stuff?

1 Like

propeditting1

Next update will be a bit of a quality of life one. I’ve gotten used to seeing the jitter but recently realized there’s a bug that halved the update or sync rate of the trail.

qol_rot.gif

5 Likes

@GuiltyGhost I’ve bought your AddOn to use it in my client project.
Problem: I can’t move the handles of the generated Motion Trails. They are “locked” for any reason.
How to do this?

An official YouTube Video Tutorial or a documentation video how to use your AddOn would be very helpful.

Thank you

2 Likes

OK I’ve found the answer in the thread -> Editable Motion Trails 3D

But a real step by step tutorial is still needed.

3 Likes

Hi
I just can´t move the handles or the co neigther, i can´t even select them. What im doing wrong?
i just made a simple animation with a bone and when y try to select the points (handles, co, time handles) it doesnt do nothing (im in pose mode. In object mode i can select them but when i move the path doesnt follow the point…)

If you can show a GIF, I can help better.

It’s likely that you have object modes locked. Disable that and you should be good to go.

The first post also has additional info you might’ve missed.

A tip: to make sure the animation channels remain shown, you can pin them in the graph editor:
image (Pin Icon)
or disable “Show Only Selected”

image (Cursor Icon)

@Taros Do you have any questions specifically? Is there anything you’d like to know that’s missing in the first post? Making video tutorials is on my todo list. If there’s anything you’d like me to explain before then, let me know.

Before moving the handles, you’ve to switch to the object mode. You can’t move the motion handles in pose mode.

2 Likes

I think I’ve understand the main philosophy of your add-on. What I would like to know is an explanation how to edit the timing by using your add-on, if it’s possible. I know how to change the timing by using the dope sheet but if you’ve found a vidual solution to control timing, than this would be interesting.

Mainly users have problems with basic elements like selecting handles and the understanding of which values can be controlled by your add-on actually and how. So a video would be great.

Thank you

1 Like